Author Topic: Paint  (Read 5578 times)

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Paint
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:58:54 PM »
So I have been doing a lot of board repair for people, and I am having trouble color matching paint. What paint does everyone use? I am over using Rattle cans.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 10:38:53 PM »
The thing about color matching is it's an art. I've tried my hand at matching over the years and had some success but that was with house paints and wood stains. Painting boards is like painting cars, you can't have Lowe's mix your paint and just roll it on. It has to be sprayed on with a low pressure sprayer, airbrush, cap sprayer, HVLP air sprayer, spray can with custom tips. They do have felt tip color pens or a fine brush for pin-striping. You have to practice masking and blending too. A few times I've had the automotive paint store match and mix me some small metallic colors. I used my HVLP sprayer. The paint was nasty to spray, and dried in seconds. You got to pay attention to what primers are compatible with what paints. I used a Kylon epoxy primer, an one of my Montana acrylic lacquer colors just cracked as soon as it hit the board.
I've been using the Montana cans for years. They have so may colors that you will find a very close match on anything you are repairing. A good coat of acrylic clear will bend most repair work. Montana quick-drying acrylic lacquer .....CANS :(
https://www.montana-cans.com/en/download

https://cloud.montana-cans.com/index.php/s/oL7Q33mIPuIKBxO#pdfviewer

https://www.montanacolors.com/en/productos/mtn-94/

BTW, Timmy Patterson turned me on to these paints. A lot of people in the surf getto use them. The art store down in the surf getto stocks a lot of the colors. I found a perfect match in Montana paint for my Naish board. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:08:29 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 08:26:47 PM »
I just bought some Montana orange for my prone foil project.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 04:44:16 AM »
Edubz(s) was recommending Montana too. How did you like it?
 I saw one guy on Sway's say it was like having 'an airbrush in a can'.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
I liked it. Same acrylic feel on the blank but consistent due to spray.

My only mistake was only having one can for my 5’6”x21” prone board so buy a couple of cans for small boards and maybe 3-4 for a SUP. But I did both sides too

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 05:20:21 PM »
What are people using as a clear coat to their 'artsy' painted boards?
The one on my 'R/R Shaping Stands' needs a gritty glittery acrylic art paint buried
So far I am leaning towards a linear polyurethane (LPU).
Is that the way to go? Other ideas? Thinking a standard auto clear might be too 'hot' solvent-wise.
Thanks, J
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 05:43:41 PM »
Most people I know use concrete sealer and then shine it up with furniture polish. You can spend fifty bucks for a bottle of surfboard super-duper polishing goop or swipe your wife's bottle of pledge which is probably the same stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 07:26:27 AM »
Motorhome people recommend ZEP floor wax for the exterior.  I tried it on a 'not perfectly prepared' surface and had to buy their 'remover' to get it off.  I think it takes practice but is apparently bulletproof.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »
Thanks guys. If this thing wasn't still shedding glitter after the first coat of clear I would consider the sealer/wax methods.  I think I need something with a little more body to start.
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »
Well, you could hotcoat the shit out of it, but that's going to be heavy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dpmaui

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 12:53:27 PM »
I use this stuff called Costa Coat, it looks alot like the concrete sealer  I was using before but it lasts for years. It's a wipe on refinisher for RVs and boats and works really, really well. It takes about 5 coats to get a good shine, but it lasts for years. It is expensive, $200. a gallon, but I have a board that is almost 4 years old now and it looks as good as the day I put it on. You can find it online.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 04:40:00 AM »
I ordered some System Three WR-LPU directly from System Three. They were the only company that answered their tech support form multiple times with thoughtful answers.

The other choice would have been a 2 part rattlecan LPU reccommended by another shaper/surfer (paint is called Max2K) but after 8-10 spray cans my daughter is having wrist issues and the WR-LPU can be sprayed with a cup gun or rollered then tipped with a brush. I order a big can so I'll have some for myself for other projects.

Season's almost done here, we need to get 'Sugar Booger' coated and in the water for a paddle before the weather turns.

https://www.systemthree.com/products/wr-lpu-polyurethane-topcoat

Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 10:31:57 AM »
2K with the bottom popper is the most common to finish a painted board. My brother just did a whole board with Montana paint and the 2K finish. Looks shiny new. I think he used 3 cans for an 11'6 SUP. You don't need it too thick. Just keep the paint from washing off. Once you pop the pin in the bottom of the can, it mixes the catalyst in. You use it within minutes then the can is done. You can't use it later. The down side to the concrete sealer is doing repairs. It gums up you sanding disks and the repair can turn into a big mess. I just refinished my 18' flat water race board with another coat of concrete sealer. Looks like new but it got heavier.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:35:24 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
I hear ya, Skate!  I do a really good job matching paint on all my repairs...as long as the color is white.   ;).

Seriously, it just isn't worth the extra time to match paint, so I get things watertight and then get creative.  I'll usually hit it with a can of white appliance epoxy paint and usually tape it off to make an interesting diamond shape or something.  It's actually grown on me to have boards with battle scars.  But most of the repairs I've done are for myself and I'm not getting paid.  If a friend asks, I'll do it for beer as long as they're OK with a structurally sound job.  If they want flawless paint, they can go elsewhere.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Paint match- Kalama Orange
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »
By chance does anyone know an off the shelf close enough match for "Kalama Orange"?  Just bought a used Foilboard I'm learning to wing on that needs a little "help".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal