Author Topic: Preventing footstrap insert leaks  (Read 2067 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Preventing footstrap insert leaks
« on: June 26, 2021, 10:18:57 PM »
My wing board was sitting in the sun and I noticed bubbles in two of the strap insert holes. Damn, I know better. The five-hole inserts that are commonly used just adhere to the deck with a little fiberglass and only eps under them to support them. If you step on them with no strap attached you risk cracking them away from the deck. I usually put a screw and washer in the first and last hole of every insert strip to keep them tight to the deck. It also helps to poke some gorilla glue in the holes and then spray them with water. The foamed glue doesn't keep you from using the inserts later. I'll put screws in tomorrow. For custom boards, I generally specify no inserts and just stick NSI inserts like the one shown exactly where I want them.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Preventing footstrap insert leaks
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 06:42:10 AM »
I added strap inserts to my Naish Hover 85 by routering the insert cavity with room to spare.Coat with Araldite(thickened epoxy) and let cure a bit.
Then laminating the inside of the cavity with carbon fiber,push the insert in and laminate on top all in one go.I think it is more solid and reliable than other methods.Valve open for the whole process to avoid pores.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Preventing footstrap insert leaks
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 08:17:20 AM »
For custom boards, I generally specify no inserts and just stick NSI inserts like the one shown exactly where I want them.
^^^ This ^^^

I also have the handles put in the bottom. I don't want any holes in the deck that are only potential, avoidable, and unnecessary areas for leaks.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal