Author Topic: Fun session from the boat yesterday  (Read 4778 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Fun session from the boat yesterday
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »
Flat water wing foiling from the boat is proving to be a lot of fun. Way easier than kiting from a boat. I do this solo so I still have to pick a riding spot carefully in order to always be able to get back to the boat. About 4 1/2 min of some some boom cam footage. Even with those Duotone wing windows I need to “gage” things for jibing around the boat,...too many blind spots

TS Arthur bringing crud weather our way so this might be it for a few days. How will I survive!  :(

https://youtu.be/EMsITC_fui0
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:45:09 AM by obxDave »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Fun session from the boat yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 11:16:39 AM »
Cool, good for you.  Pretty soon you are gonna run out of tricks. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »
Nice! You look more than ready to try waterstarting the kitefoil board.
You'll need deeper water of course but there isn't much left for you to learn ;)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 12:09:58 PM »
Nice. I need to follow your tip about not riding too far before doing the next transition. I tend to ride to the horizon, wearing myself out. I’ll stop doing that and do the tricks while fresh.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 01:06:59 PM »
Im trying to discipline my self to stop mowing across the river and start doing something. Extreme swooping and little runs downwindare not going to really cut it, but I'm still stuck in the "Whee, I'm flying" mode lots of the time. With a mile of river to cross I can easily tire myself out in five or six reaches. Especially yesterday when the looney gusts and lulls coupled with big swells from two directions made everything a challenge, but that's probably the best time to try stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 01:10:51 PM »
Fuck! That is awesome! Great to see your fast progression. Those 360's are looking pretty damn good.

Still dying to try it, but my dealer is waiting on the next shipment of S25's from China. The lake is still not very enticing anyway at 45°.

Gonna have to bolt a couple foils to your boat for the ride home. Ha ha!

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 05:01:46 PM »
Nice. I need to follow your tip about not riding too far before doing the next transition. I tend to ride to the horizon, wearing myself out. I’ll stop doing that and do the tricks while fresh.
Probably since my early windsurfing days I’d see people slowly learn to jibe and then for the next umpteen years they would ride one way, jibe, then ride the other. I was guy gettin my butt whooped, but havin fun trying to do something every 50 ft.  Not hard to tell why a harness wouldn’t do me much good.......

Im trying to discipline my self to stop mowing across the river and start doing something. Extreme swooping and little runs downwindare not going to really cut it, but I'm still stuck in the "Whee, I'm flying" mode lots of the time. With a mile of river to cross I can easily tire myself out in five or six reaches. Especially yesterday when the looney gusts and lulls coupled with big swells from two directions made everything a challenge, but that's probably the best time to try stuff.
Bill, I’d be peein my wetsuit (wait,....that already applies) trying any of this stuff in that gusty Gorge swell. This is made-to-order flat water with strong (albeit gusty) winds as long as one is willing to put up with a short mast.   I was surprised I got the 75cm to work. Heck, even the measly 16” chop beyond the island increases my crash factor significantly.  Any nice “lee side” smooth water you have access to?

Nice! You look more than ready to try waterstarting the kitefoil board.
You'll need deeper water of course but there isn't much left for you to learn ;)
Sort of thought about 70 liter board in the 4’10” length range being as low as I might want to go (I’m 168 #). No desire to try and wing with a true water start board. Just too old for that. In my dreams I’d still like to try straps for jumping  but my knees would revolt quickly (the reason I had to stop kiteboarding with a twin tip).  On the other hand I’m really anxious to get on a high aspect, really low volume foil wing. Thinking that Gong Veloce XL is about right

Fuck! That is awesome! Great to see your fast progression. Those 360's are looking pretty damn good.

Still dying to try it, but my dealer is waiting on the next shipment of S25's from China. The lake is still not very enticing anyway at 45°.

Gonna have to bolt a couple foils to your boat for the ride home. Ha ha!

Cool, good for you.  Pretty soon you are gonna run out of tricks. 

Jim

Well, still a total flat water wimp at this stage. No wave riding skills at all.  I’ll work up the courage for ocean side riding (side shore/waist high max) pretty soon.  Also waiting on three Duotone Echo’s (6, 4, 3.3) ordered about weeks ago filtering out of what ever Far East plant they make them in. Oh, and my lower water temp limit for riding  is 55 deg. A true wimp in every sense.....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 05:35:00 PM »
I’m right there with you on the fast wing search.

The last few days I turned the Dawn Patrol app on to monitor my speed. All my highest speeds were recorded going upwind. So weird. Never ran a speed app kite foiling. Anyone know if this is normal? Seems so weird not to hit higher speed on a broad reach.

Maybe I just need a tiny wing to make broad reaches faster than upwind.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 11:11:32 PM »
I’m right there with you on the fast wing search.

The last few days I turned the Dawn Patrol app on to monitor my speed. All my highest speeds were recorded going upwind. So weird. Never ran a speed app kite foiling. Anyone know if this is normal? Seems so weird not to hit higher speed on a broad reach.

Maybe I just need a tiny wing to make broad reaches faster than upwind.

Good idea. What were your top speeds and average speeds? I should stick my phone in the pouch and bring it with me on the next session. I’ve done it for kite foiling but not winging. My V1 Duotones have a pretty sloppy loose leach. I know I’m giving up some top speed and pointing ability because of it. Even the brief time I had the S25, it was way better. All the V2 wings seem to have a much tighter leach.

Just wanted to mention that the rail shape on your wing boards (boxy with a shallow bottom bevel) really helps on my sloppy 360’s. At the end of the transition I tend run the leeward rail into the water trying to get the carve finished coming off the foil as my speed drops. That extra volume at the rails (and the front end for that matter) wants to pop the board back up and keep me in the game. Board design makes a big difference! Three shot sequence at the end of a far less than perfect 360

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:27:24 PM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 03:15:54 AM »
17 mph

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 12:29:40 PM »
17 mph

Cool. I mentioned that superhuman foiler, Balz Muller, was hitting speeds well over 24 mph with that huge Moses 1100 (2100 sq cm). He was probably cruising comfortably at 20 mph (with his 6m Ensis in something like 12 knot winds). Crazy how fast gear is progressing....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 12:41:56 PM »
There are wild variations in speed based on the device used to measure. I’ve heard the app I use filters out speed spikes quite well.

I’d love to see a thread all about speed measuring devices and accuracy. Otherwise I’m the slowest foiler on the planet. I’ve held pace with some windsurfers, so I think I’m going fast.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 02:33:14 PM »
There are wild variations in speed based on the device used to measure. I’ve heard the app I use filters out speed spikes quite well.

I’d love to see a thread all about speed measuring devices and accuracy. Otherwise I’m the slowest foiler on the planet. I’ve held pace with some windsurfers, so I think I’m going fast.

Understood. Similar to when people quote wind speeds. I think 17 mph is really fast for  winging. I’m sure I’m well under that with my wings and foils. Read another GoFoil Instagram  post where some of their riders were claiming top speeds of 28+ mph. Don’t remember the measuring device, but I’m sure they were riding something small like a GL100. Anyway, for me its all about the speed range. If I could hit 17 mph on that Moses 1100 and stall at a speed lower than my Gong XL I’d be thrilled......
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:39:34 PM by obxDave »

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »
some really smooth riding in the video.  nice.

Wind Runner

• Waikiki Status
  • Wings and Things
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »
Awesome! Funny, when you first sped up the footage for an instant I was like "#$% that's quite a gust!"  :o ;D  I'm really wanting to try wingfoiling.

I have been kiting from a small boat lately, but do it in very shallow water so it's hardly any different from a beach launch other than inflating the kite on the boat.  It opens up so many new spots that are only available by boat.

https://youtu.be/SBRAMwx8C88

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal