Author Topic: Surfboards (Longboards)  (Read 61343 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2021, 05:57:59 AM »
But my older kid is getting more into prone surfing  these days. Got his own longboard, he keeps it in my place so we usually going out together.  Perhaps one day I'm gonna join him with one of my longboards, just to check  if there is a way back :)

If you seriously want that way back, there is a way back. You just have to "really" want it.

My left (in 2002) and right (in 2017) shoulders have both been surgically repaired. The first thing, after each shoulder was repaired, both of my physical therapists asked me point blank, "If you have a goal for your shoulders, you'll have to do PT in here at the sports medicine complex for a month (3 times a week for 4 weeks) and then when released, do PT at your home for somewhere between 6 and 9 months.

They told me don't slack off because many people get complacent and don't realize those shoulders take time and effort to heal. So instead of 6 months of doing PT at their home, they do maybe 3 months. Their shoulders don't heal right and then they complain when it is their own fault.

I told each of them my goal was to get back on the water to prone surf and then later on, sup surf. So I did my PT at my home and it got me back on the water where I belong.

So if your shoulder still has an untreated partial RC tear, spend the money, take the time, do the PT work and get that shoulder repaired "right". Your shoulder will thank you in the end by letting you do things you haven't done in many years (like prone surfing with one of your longboards with your son) because of shoulder pain.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2022, 04:15:59 PM »
I ran across this excellent pop-up surfing video for prone surfing. This video will give in detail some of the various pop-up techniques for longboards and a longboard is very good for "older' prone surfers.........like quite a few of us here on the Zone site.

Since I'm going to be 72 years old in February, even with a partial tear of my meniscus in my left knee, I prefer the back foot pop-up technique (which is sometimes called the "chicken wing") which is perfect for older prone surfers. Since I'm 5'8" and weigh a "massive" 148 pounds at the moment, the back foot pop-up is perfect for me since I use my right foot for the back foot pop-up.

And it works great when I'm prone surfing using my 9'3" Parallax surfboard.

Hope you enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YshKx2BB0
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2022, 07:37:12 AM »
Thanks for your heads up on my classified add and what do you think of this, NW?  9'0 x 22 1/2" x 2 7/8" Greg Griffin, Black Dart construction.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 07:39:06 AM by dietlin »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2022, 09:02:13 AM »
Thanks for your heads up on my classified add and what do you think of this, NW?  9'0 x 22 1/2" x 2 7/8" Greg Griffin, Black Dart construction.

Greg Griffin boards are awesome. That fin setup (hand shaped for the board) feels like a turbocharged thruster. The modfish I had from him was one of my favorite boards.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2022, 01:41:39 PM »
I wanna pitch in on the "not aging gracefully" thread. 2 years ago I was a pretty lame longboarder who had a very creaky popup. Hdip saw my early attempts at prone foiling and was nice but also funny as hell. (I knew I surfed like the tin man from wizard of Oz.)

I decided to work on flexibility and paddle strength. Particularly on my sit squat which was pitiful. I could only bend my knees to just over 90° it felt like with my heels 3" off the ground. From watching TV and stretching at night I'm now able to put my butt on my heels basically and though I still need to hold myself, I'm close to being able to do a full Asian Squat as it's known (weird term there but it seems to be the actual term, even among Asian people.)

I am close to touching my toes, though that's a life long battle. And my popup is 100% improved.

For paddling, I got a set of resistance bands and a door mount so I can do pull downs. This made me stronger and also got rid of all my neck pain. If you struggto paddle without pain, check out Foundation Training. There are a lot of new body mechanics that we've learned since you old guys got hurt. Specifically the way we used to arch our backs and necks is really wrong. Google that as "keeping your chin tucked in" seems to solve many issues. Science, who knew?

Before you tell me I'll kill my knees squatting low (without weight and not repetitive btw, just stretching) do some research on that stuff too. Most of what we thought about joints 20 years+ ago is wrong. Use it or lose it (as long as you aren't in serious pain) is the order of the day now for many things (once a Dr has confirmed you're ok of course.) More can be healed than we thought and flexibility is more important than we were told.

Night Wing, surf on and yes, don't stop. And to the rest of you, if I can flail for 2 years and become a foiler and stronger prone paddler I'll bet you can too.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2022, 08:40:37 PM »
@ surfcowboy

I've been "modifying" my pop-up for a prone surfboard into a "push-up". I'll explain below.

There are lots of YouTube videos for pop-ups, but most of them, the men use way too much energy for us "older" guys like me. I figured there has to be a better way do to a pop-up which didn't feel like "work".

With that said, I figured women surfers might have a better way of doing a pop-up and I was correct. One woman surfer was Haley Otto.

Her pop-up is more like a "push-up" in my way of thinking. And her pop-up, it seems to me she uses less effort with the least amount of energy which gives the best result. Perfect for an old guy like me.

And her pop-up does not look like "work" if you get my drift for older people who just aren't as limber like we were when we were much younger.

Since she is a goofy footer (right foot forward), I just copied and reversed her moves doing her pop-up since I am a regular footer (left foot forward).

The YouTube video below, filmed by a drone, is how she does her pop-up and how I do it also. Her first pop-up starts around the 29 second time mark of the video. You might have start and stop the video a few times to really see all the detail in doing her pop-up. This is how I learned and copied her pop-up.

BTW, the video is best seen in full screen mode and the highest high definition setting your computer can render without buffering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UPOvRuVek

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2022, 09:00:29 PM »
@ dietlin

That board with it's square tail looks like it would be a good nose rider. But with 5 fin boxes, it has the feel of a high performance longboard.

Since the board is 9' in length; depending on one's weight, since I'm 143 pounds and I don't nose ride, but if I would, I'd try to nose ride it with a one single fin in the center fin box and that fin would be with a 9.0 or a 9.5 length pivot fin. Placement of the 9.0 or 9.5 fin in the center fin box would be very important. The longest length pivot fin I would use would be a 10.0 fin.

There are many possibilities for fins since the board has 5 fin boxes. Try a 4 quad fin setup by taking out the middle fin in the center fin box and "give it a test drive".

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2022, 09:28:38 PM »
Hand foiled fins, by the boards shaper for the specific board. Don't second guess the shaper on this one. His fins are beautiful.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2022, 04:28:29 AM »
Hand foiled fins, by the boards shaper for the specific board. Don't second guess the shaper on this one. His fins are beautiful.

But that is the problem with me. I like to experiment. I don't take anything as "gospel". If a shaper says these are the fins that work best. Fine. But I will still experiment just to see for myself if there are other fins which can do the same as I want. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it does not work for me.

As an example. My Parallax is great for surfing small waves with a Flying Diamond 9.0 Involvement fin. And this is what was recommended when I bought the fin for my 9'3" Parallax. The consensus opinion was a 9.5 Involvement fin would not be able to handle small waves which are knee high since it is designed to work in bigger waves.

But I decided to buy the 9.5 Involvement fin too. If I place the 9.5 fin about 3" back from the front of the center fin box when surfing knee high waves, their opinion was correct. The Parallax did not work well in knee high waves. But when I placed the 9.5 Involvement fin 2 3/16" back from the front of the center fin box, the Parallax could easily handle and perform very well in knee high waves.

Like I said above. I don't take anything as "gospel" since I like to experiment.

Right now I want to purchase a Donald Takayama 10.0 Halo center fin for my 9.3" Parallax. But I can't find one to order. And Hawaiian South Shore has told me they have them on order, but they have not come in and these Halo fins have been on order since January of 2022.

The link below will show you what a Halo center fin looks like. But since HSS does not have one, I have to go to a different site to show you what a Halo center fin looks like.

https://noahkaoi.com/collections/fins/products/takayama-halo-fin

I check HSS's website "everyday" because I know when they come in, they are going to go "right out the door as fast as when they came in".

I do have an alternative fin which is a Hatchet fin from HSS. And their Hatchet fin is shown in the link below.

https://www.hawaiiansouthshore.com/collections/longboard-fins-1/products/hawaiian-south-shore-hatchet-longboard-single-fin

But right now, I'm holding out for the DT Halo fin. If I was logical; since I can't get the Halo fin, I should buy HSS's Hatchet fin and the longer I wait for the Halo fin, I will probably pull the trigger and buy HSS's Hatchet fin.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2022, 05:54:24 AM »

But that is the problem with me. I like to experiment. I don't take anything as "gospel". If a shaper says these are the fins that work best. Fine. But I will still experiment just to see for myself if there are other fins which can do the same as I want. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it does not work for me.

As an example. My Parallax is great for surfing small waves with a Flying Diamond 9.0 Involvement fin. And this is what was recommended when I bought the fin for my 9'3" Parallax. The consensus opinion was a 9.5 Involvement fin would not be able to handle small waves which are knee high since it is designed to work in bigger waves.

But I decided to buy the 9.5 Involvement fin too. If I place the 9.5 fin about 3" back from the front of the center fin box when surfing knee high waves, their opinion was correct. The Parallax did not work well in knee high waves. But when I placed the 9.5 Involvement fin 2 3/16" back from the front of the center fin box, the Parallax could easily handle and perform very well in knee high waves.

Like I said above. I don't take anything as "gospel" since I like to experiment.

Right now I want to purchase a Donald Takayama 10.0 Halo center fin for my 9.3" Parallax. But I can't find one to order. And Hawaiian South Shore has told me they have them on order, but they have not come in and these Halo fins have been on order since January of 2022.

The link below will show you what a Halo center fin looks like. But since HSS does not have one, I have to go to a different site to show you what a Halo center fin looks like.

https://noahkaoi.com/collections/fins/products/takayama-halo-fin

I check HSS's website "everyday" because I know when they come in, they are going to go "right out the door as fast as when they came in".

I do have an alternative fin which is a Hatchet fin from HSS. And their Hatchet fin is shown in the link below.

https://www.hawaiiansouthshore.com/collections/longboard-fins-1/products/hawaiian-south-shore-hatchet-longboard-single-fin

But right now, I'm holding out for the DT Halo fin. If I was logical; since I can't get the Halo fin, I should buy HSS's Hatchet fin and the longer I wait for the Halo fin, I will probably pull the trigger and buy HSS's Hatchet fin.

If you want the Halo fin try go to the source. Larry Allison produces the fin for
them (hand shaped) which is why it is backordered.

As for the hatchet fin, no point holding off on that one. You can tell it’s going to
Produce different feel just by looking at the point of release.
in progress...

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2022, 06:02:28 AM »
In the old days, shapers used to make fins and glass them onto boards.  One chance to get things right.  Then came fin boxes and fin systems.  Shapers stopped putting as much thought into what fins worked best with their boards.  Even getting a custom from most guys these days only gets a fin recommendation along the lines of 'try it with 'x'". 

It's rare (OK, impossible) to find someone like Griffin who makes fins specifically for every single board he builds. Every Single Board.  His board and fins are a complete package.  Would you buy a vehicle that came without a suspension?  Somehow this is acceptable with boards.

After trying lots of different fins on my nonGriffin boards, I've learned to avoid goofy looking fins like hatchets, halos, squirrels, etc.  How do those fins interact with the board (provide lift, aid in planning, and control release)?  Would you want the outline of your board to look like those things?  It's really the same principal.  Then why would you want your fins to look like that?  Would you like square tires on your vehicle, too? 

Of course, the need to experiment (and I've had it bad at times) does help fin companies' sales.  :)

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2022, 01:17:39 PM »
I have a few Halo center's and side bites.
I like them for low drag either single or in combo. 
I find them to be OK to good for noseriding but
best for low paddle drag, easier take off and surfing from the tail.   

I run the 10.5" Halo as a single in my Pearson/Laird and in my B&B. 
Sometimes, if I do a wild turn, I will spin out.  Well, hasn't happened in quite a while. 

I run smaller Halo centers with Halo side bites
- great for higher performance surfing.

I also have some Webber style hatchets.  One is the Dorsal 10"
- it surfs a bit squirrely on my Laird (I've yet to try on the B&B) - probably fine on slower waves.
I think because the neck (and Flag) is fairly narrow - narrower than on other hatchets.
That 10" of the Dorsal size would likely be good on your 9.3" prone board - much smaller than my SUPs.
The Dorsal is much cheaper than fiberglass fins out there...like $28 on Ebay; maybe cheaper on their site.
If you get one, I'd recommend you soften the edges with a flat file
or sandpaper - when received, the edges are very sharp. 
It is a bit flexy but not a problem for this style fin.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2022, 06:24:07 AM »
The DT Halo center fin was originally designed to make sups turn easier because back in DT's day, sups were pretty long length wise. DT modified the Halo fin for surfboards.

A Halo center fin makes a single fin surfboard, in my case a longboard, turn easier and it generates drive/speed for slow small waves. The kind of waves I normally encounter at Surfside and Quintana beaches. And you trim the board from the center of the board. The YouTube video below gives more detailed info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNoM2f7x8YA

Moving on.

Before I bought my single fin Parallax, there were plenty of good reviews for the Parallax, but the there were "no" videos of it where someone was actually riding it when surfing waves.

So I looked and looked. And eventually I did find a very short video of a person riding a Parallax. The rider was CJ Nelson himself. The Parallax he is riding in this video is a 9'3" Parallax, the same length as mine, at a surf/wave ranch.

The only thing not given was the model of the fin used and it's length. But CJ does have a Parallax in his stable that he rides and he prefers a 9'6" Parallax with a Flying Diamonds 10.5 Parallax fin.

In all of the longboards CJ has, he places the fin right at the front of the long fin box since he likes a looser and lively feel for his longboards. Basically, he over fins his boards since he is a powerful surfer. In my view, CJ does not surf a wave. He attacks a wave.

The fin I use the most in my Parallax is a Flying Diamonds 9.5 Involvement fin. The reason I use an Involvement fin instead of a Parallax fin is because the waves at SanO where CJ surfs at in California are different than the waves I normally encounter at Surfside and Quintana on the upper Texas coast.

Now comes the sticky part. The video below is an Instagram video. And to see the video, one (supposedly) has to have an Instagram account and be logged into Instagram. I don't have an Instagram account.

But I have a Jamboards account and as long as I am logged into Jamboards, even though I don't have an Instagram account which means I am not logged into Instagram, I can view the Instagram video which is embedded in a Jamboards topic thread in the sub forum, Longboards.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B33lRRbCFk8/

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2022, 05:03:15 PM »
Regarding pop ups, this video helped me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4gT4BMrpuo
It helps you understand any subtle input you give the board (i.e. head tilt, knee, hip, hands, shoulder, etc).
I think my pop up has morphed into a sprinter leaving a starting gate, but in slow mo.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2022, 07:12:47 AM »
Thought I would give an update on this topic thread. And add a little history since my last post in this topic thread.

While some sup people have picked up foiling, not me. I went back to my roots which is surfing a longboard. But my cranky lower back finally caught up with me.

With my lower back issue on the right side, I had to modify my pop-up to stand up on my longboard to catch a wave. So I copied Haley Otto's pop-up which is basically a combination of a pop-up and a stand-up.

While surfing my 9'3" Parallax longboard last October of 2022, I started to get an "electrical jolt" on my right lower back right above my hip bone when doing my modified pop-up. Since I took some anatomy classes when I was in college, I knew it was a problem with my L4 nerve and I suspected a bone spur was digging into the nerve.

Make a long story short, I went to see a spine surgeon at the Woodlands Sports Medicine complex in the Woodlands, Texas. This was the same place I had both my right and left shoulder operated on. Told the surgeon what I suspected and he ordered an MRI which showed the canal opening where the L3, L4 and L5 spinal nerves were located, the canal opening had narrowed and a bone spur was pressing down on the L4 nerve.

So I had a partial laminectomy done on the L3, L4 and L5 nerves on Nov 16th of 2022. The procedure was "textbook", took 90 minutes and I'm now recuperating at home. I will be able to go supping and surfing on March 16th of 2023 and not any sooner per my surgeon's "orders".

Back to the subject on hand.

With lots of time on my hands, I started watching lots of YouTube videos about longboard surfing and how important longboard fins are placed in the center fin box, how long fins are in length and the different shapes of center fins.

I'm old school and back in the day of 1965, the rule of thumb for a center fin for a single fin longboard was; for every foot of a single fin longboard, one inch of fin is needed. So a 9' single fin longboard needed a 9" fin. That does not hold true for today.

My board is a CJ Nelson 9'3" single fin Parallax longboard with a rounded pintail. CJ is an excellent surfboard designer and a very good surfer. Since he had designed lots of single fin longboard models (Apex, Sprout, Haven, Neo Classic, Parallax etc), he also designed fins for these models. CJ's fin company is Flying Diamonds which he owns.

CJ is a power surfer so he "over fins" his longboards. As an example, when he surfs his personal 9'6" Parallax, he uses a 10.5 Power Flex, Parallax or Involvement fins and all these fins are placed right at the front of the center fin box.

For small waves in height, I like a Flying Diamonds 9.0 Involvement fin and for larger waves in height, I like a Flying Diamonds 9.5 Involvement fin. I like to have one third of these fins over the rails so I place these fins in the center fin box so one third of the fin is over the rail.

I wished CJ would have made a YouTube video just for his fins. And he did. And I found it since I have lots of time on my hands while I'm recuperating.

At the video below, CJ explains in detail why he places his fins where one third of the fin is over the rail and how to measure it. But he also explains why he "over fins" his longboards and this is because he likes a loose feeling longboard that can be steered from the center of the board where he doesn't have to have a foot on the left or right rail when he wants to turn left or right.

The video below can be viewed in 1080 high definition. But the picture quality is "not the best" since it was taken with a smartphone over a Zoom call. So watch the video in full screen mode.

Getting back to the video, CJ states for his models of boards, he designs his boards with a tail width of around 17". I went out to my garage and measured the tail width of my 9'3" Parallax and it is right at 17".

With that said, I went over to the Firewire website, which carries CJ's Flying Diamond fins and saw the 10.0 Involvement fin and the 10.5 Involvement fin were available in Volan material and green in color so I ordered each and they are now here. I have already put the 10.5 Involvement fin right at the front of the center fin box so my Parallax is now "over finned".

My surgeon told me I will be "cleared for any activity I want to do" on Mar 16th of 2023 so when the water temperature reaches 66 degrees F, which is my minimum water temperature so I don't shiver from hypothermia since I don't wear a wet suit, I will test out the 10.5 Involvement fin down at Quintana Beach which is close to Surfside, Texas.

BTW, I do not do any nose riding since the Parallax is not a nose rider longboard. But if the waves have quite a bit of "juice" in them, with the 10.5 Involvement fin, I think I could do a nose ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWNFs-mME-4

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal