Author Topic: Surfboards (Longboards)  (Read 61344 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »

Have you considered Stewart's Hydro Hull?

Surftech has a decent deal on a TufLite 9'6  (x 23.5" x 3.3" @ 71L) with three fin boxes

https://surftech.com/stewart-hydro-hull-tuflite-2019/

Before I answer your question, you have to consider what type of waves I will encounter on the upper Texas coast. The best waves in height are at Surfside, Texas since the water is deeper offshore from the beach. Going up (north) to Galveston Island, the water is shallower since the offshore bottom is like a flat plate. Our upper Texas coast waves are wind driven.

Normally when one buys a surfboard, one's weight and height is factored in to determine length, width, thickness and liters of volume. But this won't work for the waves on the upper Texas coast.

What works is to put liters of volume "first", then "length". Why? Because when the wind is blowing 5 mph, we have ankle high slow roller mushy type of waves. With these types of waves, if you want to call them waves, volume and waterline length will let a rider surf these types of tiny waves.

With that said, I have looked at the Surftech Hydro Hull. The specs on the Surftech Hydro Hull are 9'6" x 23.50" x 3.3" @ 71 liters. The Surftech Ripster specs I'm looking at are 9'8" x 23.75" x 3.5" @ 88 liters.

https://surftech.com/stewart-ripster-tuflite-v-tech/

With slow roller mushy type of waves, the Ripster will be better able to handle these type of waves because of the slightly longer waterline length (2"), but with much more volume in liters (17). Basically, the Ripster will give the better glide over the Hydro Hull.

Even though I like multiple fin boxes, the single fin Ripster looks to be the better fit for the waves on the upper Texas coast. Like the local shapers have all told me, I am going to have to compromise.

As for the Surftech's Ripster 9'8" length, the swing of the nose might be a problem. Since one shaper told me he would prefer a 9'4" longboard, on Bill Stewart's site, the "stock" Ripster comes in many different lengths and the one that interests me is his Ripster at 9'4" x 23.75" x 3.25" @ 79 liters.

https://stewartsurfboards.com/collections/surftech-ripster

So that is 2" shorter than the Hydro Hull which would help with the swing of the nose quicker, but with 8 more liters of volume than the Hydro Hull for those tiny waves.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:02:52 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2020, 05:53:58 PM »
There’s a couple of very talented guys there in SS that could build you a nice board that suit the local waves, and probably be a less expensive option. Good guys. When you come over the causeway bridge, stop at those shops directly on the right at the light and inquire about local board builders. Someone there should be able to help you find them. I know lots of people that ride their boards and are plenty happy. And you’d support a local board builder

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2020, 07:34:08 PM »
@ Biggreen

The causeway bridge is Hwy 332. I know there is a Cicle K Food Mart place on Fort Velasco Drive. The place I think you're telling me about is across from the Circle K store which is named, Breaker Sports.

Thanks for the info.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2020, 09:26:39 PM »
Nightwing, good for you for at least contemplating returning to prone surfing. I don’t think you necessarily need to compromise on the features you are looking for  if you have the budget.  I know of at least one board out there that meets all your qualifications. Harley Ingleby has a board in his line, “The Cruiser” that is a soft railed, low rocker traditional style board that  has quad boxes and a big single. In one of his vids he says people think he’s crazy for putting the extra boxes on that style of board, but he likes the quads in beach breaks. You can run a single fin for pure noseriding. His boards are now being made in what he calls “thunderbolt technology”. seems really strong,  but better flex than a lot of epoxy boards. It is pretty expensive. I think he has a 9’1” and a 9’5” in “The Cruiser.”

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2020, 10:40:41 PM »
Stewart did not invent the Thruster (3 fins of equal size) that was Simon Anderson. Those Stewart multi-fins are awesome. And they are made for surfing big powerful waves (head high plus) and cranking big turns that would buckle my knees.

This has been a great thread. Get well and enjoy your 5 fin longboard man.

PS Don’t ever put the other 4 in the boxes and you’ll be fine. ;)

Hope to surf Surfside with you some day. I love a tiny wave more than most anyone. But maybe before you buy, go read the replies with a piece of paper and count how many people told you the same exact thing. That might be the thing to do/buy. You seem like a data guy.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:42:31 PM by surfcowboy »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2020, 04:59:26 AM »
@ Dusk Patrol

I found a little graph to compare the Surftech Hydro Hull and the Surftech Ripster. But you'll have to open a tab or a window to see both surfboards side by side on the graph. (Sorry I'm so detailed oriented)

At the link the below, once you're on the page, scroll on down to the prompt, "See more details". To the left and right of the prompt, there are two little plus signs (+). Click on one of them.

A small graph will show up and you will be able to see what the Hydro Hull can handle wave wise.

https://surftech.com/stewart-hydro-hull-tuflite/

Now do the same for the Surftech Tipster at the link below.

https://surftech.com/stewart-ripster-tuflite-v-tech/

You'll see why the I prefer the Ripster over the Hydro Hull.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2020, 05:14:58 AM »
@ surlygringo

Thanks for the tip on the "Cruiser" built by Harley Ingleby. I would be more interested in the 9'5" Cruiser in Thunderbolt Technology.

I retired at 60 years of age. That was 10 years ago since I'm now 70. I planned for retirement and the money needed to retire at 60, when I was 23 years old so when it comes to money and the budget, money is not a problem for me.

Thank you for chiming in to help me out in this topic thread. Your participation in this topic thread is appreciated by me. Once I leave the Zone, I'll hunt for his website and hope he has one.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2020, 05:40:54 AM »
This has been a great thread. Get well and enjoy your 5 fin longboard man.

PS Don’t ever put the other 4 in the boxes and you’ll be fine. ;)

Hope to surf Surfside with you some day. I love a tiny wave more than most anyone. But maybe before you buy, go read the replies with a piece of paper and count how many people told you the same exact thing. That might be the thing to do/buy. You seem like a data guy.

I'm glad you like this topic thread. :) I like it too. 8) Since the Zone is primarily a sup site, I didn't think a surfing prone longboard topic would get much traffic. But I'm glad it has.

And I had to ask Admin in a private message if I could start this topic here on the Zone. He gave me permission and this is how this topic thread was born.

One of the reasons I like multiple fin boxes is because on the upper Texas coast; with our tiny to small waves most of the time, my One World 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters and my BP Duke 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 liters, both sups have 5 fin Futures boxes.

Each board easily handles the tiny to small waves very well as long as a person is more interested in "gliding" to the beach instead of carving or shredding waves. To increase speed to harness the dynamic lift of these type of waves for both sups, I surf both sups in a quad fin setup (2, 5") (2, 4") fins. And both high volume sups do very well with me surfing them with me being (now) 140 pounds.

And I am a data guy. It goes with my penchant for "details" no matter how small the detail. When I'm researching "anything", I'm on a blood hunt so to speak. When I go on YouTube or Vimeo looking at surfing videos for sups or prone surfboards information wise, it really chaps me to no end when there is no information for the particular board I'm watching the man or woman surfing.

The info I'm looking for is; how long is the board, what is it's width, what is it's thickness and how many liters of volume for the boards. For some reason, this is never mentioned when in my opinion, it should always be mentioned.

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2020, 08:57:48 AM »
Here is a link to Harley surfing and talking a bit about the Cruiser.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPdi7LRlbE

I know that FireWire is now carrying his boards in the thunderbolt technology(the 9’5” is 23” wide by 3 3/8” with 87ltrs) They also  have a couple of videos explaining the tech. I haven’t ridden it, but it makes a lot of sense to me especially in a longboard.

I am not really a longboard surfer, but I have spent some time on them and can crossstep and kook around on the nose a bit. I have surfed your part of the gulf as well as the west coast of Florida and bearing in mind my shortboard background disclaimer I would like to throw in my vote for the utility of a quad setup: requires less technique to surf on those peaky onshore days and feels faster in tiny waves than a big single fin, and won’t drag on the sandbar when trying to eek everything out of micro surf:)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2020, 10:57:18 AM »
@ surlygringo

I found the Harley Ingleby site and looked at the Cruiser. The Cruiser at 9'5" x 23" x 3 3/16" @ 87 liters would work for the upper Texas coastal waves for me. And having 5 fin boxes it a plus too (for me). Have I ever mentioned I am fan of 5 fin boxes?  ;D The Cruiser can be found at the Harley Ingleby site below for anyone who is interested.

https://harleyinglebyseries.com/

I did see the video which you posted. But, I went on YouTube to see if I could find other videos of the Cruiser and the Thunderbolt Technology. And I did find 3 of them and they are all below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBGX4B7LPnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZo0fV_P1t4

Now the third video explains "in detail" the Thunderbolt Technology in BLACK & RED. Since I'm a lightweight at 140 pounds, I would prefer the RED technology with good flex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_i_hWE_lBQ

BTW, I saw the price of one of the boards in the first video which was ($1,350.00). But with the technology to build the board, speaking just for myself, it is worth the money (to me).

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2020, 10:10:01 PM »
Wing, the reason is that a lot of classic longboards in production follow a pretty standard set of dims. There are changes but really, you can average them pretty well.

I’ll take a crack but guys pitch in here.

9’6” x 23” x 3” there are variants but I can tell you that a ton of boards fall very close to what’s there. Maybe 6” either way on length, up to 1” less in width, and maybe 1/4” to 1/2” less in thickness.

But out here at least, on classic longboards, you’ll see a hundred pound girl at 5’4” and a 200 guy at 6’1” on pretty much the same board. Any Saturday Malibu is filled with a hundred boards that all pretty much ceased to innovate around the mid 60’s and are within a pretty small range in dimensions. I’ve never really considered it til you brought this up.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2020, 05:47:41 AM »
Wing, the reason is that a lot of classic longboards in production follow a pretty standard set of dims. There are changes but really, you can average them pretty well.

It even gotten to a point that I've seen some snarky designers put "Enough Volume" as a measurement ;D True story.
in progress...

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2020, 10:27:57 AM »

I’ll take a crack but guys pitch in here.

9’6” x 23” x 3” there are variants but I can tell you that a ton of boards fall very close to what’s there. Maybe 6” either way on length, up to 1” less in width, and maybe 1/4” to 1/2” less in thickness.

But out here at least, on classic longboards, you’ll see a hundred pound girl at 5’4” and a 200 guy at 6’1” on pretty much the same board. Any Saturday Malibu is filled with a hundred boards that all pretty much ceased to innovate around the mid 60’s and are within a pretty small range in dimensions. I’ve never really considered it til you brought this up.

Its a good comment. I don't think NW should worry too much about volume at 140lb. Plan shape, rocker and fins should be all you need to worry about. Glide will never be a problem.

I was sitting in a break a few years ago and there were a couple of female longboarders plus me and another big guy (Leon). Me and Leon both had 10' nose riders (mine is an old Ukulele Drifter) with 9.5" single fin. The young ladies both had 9'ish boards that were probably 22" wide. They were sort of making fun of our "barges" and we were having a laugh. I told them that if I wanted a board that matched my weight compared to theirs, I would need to ride a board 12' long and 28" wide.

Trust me, 10' by 23" feels like a barge no matter how big you are.

Now this thread has me wanting to try a quad fin longboard really bad. Surfcowboys comment on long single fins hitting the sand or reef on small waves is a good one. I found a 10.5" Greenough hatchet fin at Lpoko last summer (broken at the tang). Looked like they popped it out on a coral head.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2020, 12:48:42 PM »
(mine is an old Ukulele Drifter) with 9.5" single fin.

Ok … Ukulele Drifter is an inspired name... 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2020, 02:48:49 PM »
Now this thread has me wanting to try a quad fin longboard really bad. Surfcowboys comment on long single fins hitting the sand or reef on small waves is a good one. I found a 10.5" Greenough hatchet fin at Lpoko last summer (broken at the tang). Looked like they popped it out on a coral head.

I admit I'm a sucker for a 5 fin board. For me, a 5 fin sup or surfboad, is my "Dark Side".

The Harley Ingleby surfboards are really nice boards. On the HI site, if one looks at the specs of the Cruiser, 9'5" x 23" x 3 3/8" @ 87 liters, is designed to handle waves from 1' - 6' in height.

But there is a another HI surfboard that is a good one too. It is the Diamond Drive and it's specs, 9'4" x 23" x 3 1/16" @ 76 liters, is designed to handle waves from 2' - 9' in height.

For the waves on the upper Texas coast, the Cruiser looks to be better of the two.

The USA contact place for HI is in Carlsbad, California. I started, pardon the pun, surfing around for HI dealers and I ran across a dealer, "Surf Ride" in Waco, Texas.

https://www.surfride.com/

But, the place is temporarily closed because of the virus. It would be nice if I decided to purchase the Cruiser from Surf Ride since Waco, Texas is about a three hour drive from my home.

Another dealer, Hawaiian South Shore, is in Honolulu, Hawaii.

https://www.hawaiiansouthshore.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal