Author Topic: Surfboards (Longboards)  (Read 61338 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
I hope you enjoy the new board when it comes.
You could pop the fin in one of your sups to feel it out while you wait.

My One World sup is 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters. My two Duke sups are 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 liters. Since I sup surf small waves at Surfside, Tex; both of these two sup models surf best with a 4 fin quad setup. Why? Because of the small waves, the quad fin setup allows both of these tow boards to generate speed which in turn helps with the small amount of dynamic lift these waves produce and gives me a nice ride.

A single 9.0 or a 9.5 fin would have a hard time with these two big boards when sup surfing small waves. How do I know? I tried a single 9" fin down at Surfside on both of these boards above and it just doesn't work well enough on these two models to give me a nice ride.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2021, 11:20:31 AM »
That Parallax looks interesting for sure.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2021, 10:19:59 PM »
Stick with what works.  Your waves are beautiful. Waves for geezers, which I could use more of around here.
Gliding on a longboard is for me one of the joyous feelings that keeps it going.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2021, 06:42:40 AM »
@ surfinJ

I absolutely LOVE "geezer" type waves for both prone and sup surfing. Pure enjoyment. Hence, my preference for longboards for both prone and sup surfing since these type of boards fit my style of surfing which is the old "classic" style of surfing from the 1960's.

It is 110 miles from my home to Surfside, Tx. So the round trip is 220 miles. I leave my home to go to Surfside at 5:00 am and I get to Surfside at around 7:15 am.

I usually surf the waves at Surfside between the hours of 7:30 am to 11:30 am with a few breaks inbetween to head back to my truck to rehydrate myself and get a little bit of rest.

I take four rest breaks which are 15 minutes in time for each rest break. So three hours of actual surfing will take it's toll on the body for both young and old (like me) if one doesn't take a rest every now and then and gets lots of Gatorade in one's self.

For those "lurkers" on this site who have not registered for any reasons and anyone else interested, I suppose they are wondering how much did the Parallax cost me?

The 9'3" Parallax cost me $1,125.00 and shipping cost was/is, because of the length of the board, $199.99 for a grand total of ($1,324.99).

When REAL Watersports left me an email, the email stated they had a few Parallax boards coming in late June in the length, construction and color which I wanted. They asked me if I wanted to pre-order one and make a $100.00 non-refundable deposit to "hold" the board in my name.

I remembered when REAL got two of the 9'3" Parallax boards back in January of 2021 in Red construction and white in color, they sold both boards in the span of 10 days. But I was still doing research and missed out. The old "you snooze, you lose".

So I called REAL and gave them my credit card number for the non-refundable deposit. The rest of money for the board will be charged to my credit card when the board is shipped along with the tracking number.

REAL told me they used FED EX to ship their boards and it would be delivered to my home with a signature required. But, I told them to ship the board, in my name with driver's license identification and signature required, to the FED EX truck terminal at 9010 Jackrabbit Rd in Houston, Tx. REAL asked me why I would do that?

I told REAL, the fewer people handling the long package containing the board during transit would lessen the damage percentage wise during transit. So I removed the damage possibility from the trucking terminal and then being loaded upon the delivery truck to my home handling wise. Even if the board would be damaged in transit, REAL told me it wouldn't cost me any money and REAL would replace the Parallax.

I told REAL, you can't replace this particular model in the length, Red construction and color (volan green) I want if REAL sells out of them and I would have to wait another 4 to 6 months in time to get the replacement. And at 71, I'm not getting any younger and REAL said I had a very good point.

When the board arrives, probably in the first week of July, I will take pictures of it and the 9.0 fin and post them in this topic thread.

CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2021, 10:49:24 PM »
You got stoke Night Wing. Between your health challenges and the distance to the beach, did not realize how far you had to go.  Glad to see you go for it.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2021, 05:34:17 AM »
@ surfinJ

When I was doing my research and narrowed it down to a single fin longboard, this is when I ran across CJ Nelson. After CJ retired from competitive surfing, he started designing surfboards. His last three designs were the Outlier, Parallax and the Neo Classic. And Ryan Engle shaped these prototype model boards. Engle has been around a long time with an excellent reputation as a shaper.

When I started to zero in on the Parallax, I had no trouble finding online reviews of it on YouTube. But there wasn't any actual surfing footage of it on YouTube. There were actual surfing videos for the Outlier and Neo Classic, but none for the Parallax.

I had to "hunt" for the actual footage for surfing for the Parallax. I ran across a site, Jamboards, which had a topic thread in for CJ Nelson's boards. And I ran across the Vimeo video in it showing the prototypes for the Outlier, Parallax, Neo Classic and the Sprout.

In the video below, there are two white colored boards, side by side, with pintails in different lengths. One of them was the Outlier, the shorter length one and the other was the longer length one, the Parallax. I recognized the Parallax in the video and CJ was surfing it in this video. It is a long 15 minute video. And watch it in full screen mode and high definition setting.

Now lets get to some fins. Since CJ designed his boards, it was a logical step for him to actually design fins specifically made for these different model boards. And he is the owner of Flying Diamonds fins which is at the link below.

https://flyingdiamondsca.com/fin-collections/cj-nelson-fins/

The right fin design and the length of it determines how good or bad a surfboard will perform for a given set of waves. My choice came down to a Flying Diamonds "Parallax" fin and a "Involvement" fin. For the waves I normally encounter, the Involvement seems to be the best choice and I will know for sure when I actually surf the 9'3' Parallax with the 9.0 fin.

The Parallax has a long fin box. Where to put the fin in the box is very important. Placing the fin all the way back in the rear of the fin box makes the board track straight, but it might make the board too "tracky" for a turn. Placing the fin all the up at the front of the fin box will make the board very loose which will make the board "skid out" on a turn.

Instead of "guessing" where the correct spot for the fin is to be placed in the fin box, there is a way for getting it real close to where it should be placed. And the 15 minute long video below explains that. Watch the video for this segment when CJ goes to his warehouse. Again, watch this video in full screen mode and high definition setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl8WhZj-9TM

As you can see, I'm detail oriented so I do my homework when it comes to research.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2021, 05:41:22 AM »
Thought I would make one more post to help explain the Thunderbolt Technologie in Red and Black construction. In the video below, you will see why I specifically chose the Red construction.

Taylor Jensen really does an excellent job explaining the Red and Black construction in conjunction with surfers and the waves they surf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ecCO-LXWc

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2021, 11:16:06 AM »
Nice NW!
Appreciate the videos and research.

Boy, that has some flat rocker.

I've got an old Pearson/CJ Nelson Noserider by Surftech that I purchased used.
I've only surfed it a few times as I'm usually on my SUP, and my popup isn't that great.
I will say, it begs you to go to the nose - so you may become a noserider,
if the Parallax is similar to it.  Both have that very flat rocker.

Let us know all about what you think of it when you get it.

I wish CJ made SUP noserider.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2021, 11:59:39 AM »
For those that may be interested, surf simply did an interesting interview with CJ Nelson where he talked about wanting to retire from competition and pursue alternate board design.:
https://surfsimply.com/podcast/59-surviving-holds-downs-cj-nelson-interview/
The surviving hold-downs discussion is interesting as well.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2021, 03:03:49 PM »
@ Subber

I'm glad you like this topic thread and all the research I've found for it.

The Parallax is not a nose rider because of it's pintail. CJ designed this longboard to be very fast, easy to ride without any "pumping" of your legs, being able to "trim" (turn the board from the midpoint of the board) and to be able to carve a wave, not shred a wave.

Basically a fun type of board made for pure enjoyment. Since it is a fast board, the board will always be able to be out in front of a slow wave. Since it is a fast longboard for it's length, mine being 9'3", it can easily out run a wave so it needs to be able to make that nice bottom turn to get back in touch with the wave no matter how small or how high the wave is depending on one's skill level.

The Parallax will nose ride, but the wave has to have plenty of "juice" in it to do so. But I'm not a nose rider. Never have been. Never will be. I love the glide of a longboard and this is why I chose the Parallax.

CJ does ride his Parallax which is: 9'6" x 23 3/4" x 3 1/4" @ 81.4 liters with a 10.5 "Parallax" Flying Diamonds fin. Not an "Involvement" fin.

If one wants a nice single fin niche board that can do what the Parallax can do and can nose ride easily, then another of CJ's designed boards can do this and it is his "Neo Classic" longboard. The Neo Classic comes in two lengths which are: 9'5" x 23 1/2" x 3 1/8" @ 76.1 liters and 10'0" x 24" x 3 1/4" @ 84.4 liters.

CJ's rides his Neo Classic 10'0" length with a 10.5 "Power Flex" Flying Diamonds fin.

And I just so happen to have an indepth video review of his Neo Classic model in the 9'5" length below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul3b3ApIra8

Some people say they are too old to surf a prone longboard. If one choses a skinny longboard, lets say 23" in width or shorter and under 67 liters of volume, yes, at our age that may be tough to ride.

But if one chooses a longboard; lets say around 9'2" in length to 10'0" in length with at least 23 1/2" of width and with at least 73 liters of volume in it, then anybody can ride a prone surfboard, no matter their age.

The only caveat for a longboard of 9'5" in length or longer, swinging the nose of the board backs towards the wave in a high wind speed and/or high wind gusts. This is why I went with the Parallax at 9'3" in length over the 9'6" Parallax and also over the Neo Classic at 9'5" in length.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 03:12:12 PM by Night Wing »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2021, 07:59:06 PM »
My Involvement 9.0 fin was supposed to be delivered at my home this upcoming Friday. Then I checked the tracking number this past Saturday and it said my fin would be delivered this upcoming Wednesday.

I checked my tracking number this late Monday afternoon and it said the fin would be delivered to my home by 9:00 pm today. The fin arrived at  4:30 pm.

And I'm going to post the picture of the volan green fin. BTW, the fin color is green, but the volan is the material the fin is constructed out of. The fin came in a soft black fin bag so I laid the fin on top of the black fin bag to make the fin easier to see.

Now, this site's forum software does not allow one to preview a picture so I'm just hoping this picture shows since I had to resize the picture. Got to add this. The fin is 9" in height and the base of the fin is 5 1/2" in length.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:14:59 PM by Night Wing »

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2021, 08:55:58 PM »
If one wants a nice single fin niche board that can do what the Parallax can do and can nose ride easily, then another of CJ's designed boards can do this and it is his "Neo Classic" longboard. The Neo Classic comes in two lengths which are: 9'5" x 23 1/2" x 3 1/8" @ 76.1 liters and 10'0" x 24" x 3 1/4" @ 84.4 liters.

CJ's rides his Neo Classic 10'0" length with a 10.5 "Power Flex" Flying Diamonds fin.

And I just so happen to have an indepth video review of his Neo Classic model in the 9'5" length below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul3b3ApIra8

Nice vid. 
I see the Neo Classic model is a pintail also but noserides better than the Parallax -
I guess the Neo Classic is designed to noseride more specifically..
Maybe the pintail is the "Neo" in Neo Classic.  Although they point out in the video that iit also has a bit of a step deck front and tail too.
Also, that the last foot or so of the tail has a bit of an edge rather than being 50/50.  Maybe
it turns as well as the Parallax - CJ was really turning and slashing with the Parallax in the earlier video.

My Pearson Laird 10'6" is a pin tail with a somewhat sharp edge from about the middle of the board.  It turns great and
noserides very well, but it lets go when you try to put toes over.
My Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue has a big square tail, more tail kick and 50/50 rails - a "dedicated noserider" - It does nose ride better & I can
get toes over but most of the time I've a few inches back while on the Laird I'm a foot or more back.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2021, 05:12:56 AM »
@ Subber

When I was doing research for prone surfboards; specifically longboards, since lots of people surf surfboards, I thought there would be lots of surfboard forums on the internet. I found out there aren't that many at least for longboard information.

The best place on the internet, in my opinion, specifically for finding information on surfing longboards, is at the Jamboards site at the link below.

https://jamboards.com/

Under the "Surfing" forum, I found the topic thread for JC Nelson Boards. Only the original poster wasn't paying attention to what he was typing and instead of typing, "CJ", he had typed, "JC".

But when I saw the topic thread listed as JC, I assumed it was a typo and the topic thread is at the link below. BTW, the topic thread there is now at 14 pages in length.

https://jamboards.com/threads/jc-nelson-boards.7800/

There is also another topic thread for the CJ Nelson "Outlier" model and it is at the link below.

https://jamboards.com/threads/cj-nelson-outlier-reviews.9758/

The Outlier comes in three lengths and at this time they are 7'6", 8'0" and 9'0". I had thought about the 9' Outlier, but at 23" in width with 70.0 liters, I thought this board would be just a hair too narrow for me for the liters of volume and might prove to be "finicky" and give me problems.

As for the Flying Diamonds of California fins which is a company CJ owns, there is even a topic thread for that too.

https://jamboards.com/threads/flying-diamonds-fins.9619/

I've enjoyed this topic thread and thanks for participating in it along with the other posters who have made comments.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2021, 10:38:17 AM »
While I wait patiently for my 9'3" Parallax by the first week of July, I've already shown in this topic thread the kind of waves in a few videos before this post, I like to ride for sup and prone surfboards at Surfside and also at Port Aransas. The nice slow roller type of waves which for me are pure enjoyment.

But those slow roller type of waves are not the norm when the wind is blowing. I've finally found a nice view of how the waves are when the wind is really blowing at a good clip. These waves can best be described as "disorganized" (angry waves). The video is a short 3:44 (minutes and seconds) in length of time.

It is not professionally made which means it has it's good points and not so good points. The video starts out showing the Surfside Jetty and Surfside Jetty Park where I park my truck. The white building with the black colored roof shingles contains the restrooms and showers. You can also see the wooden stairs from the parking lot to the beach. The first minute takes up spanning the waves in a panoramic style. Then you can see some of the prone surfers riding these waves.

These disorganized waves are great for "gliding" which is the type of riding I like to do whether sup or prone surfing. But you have to have a fast board to go from section to section since the waves will just die out behind you and you have to go to the next wave either to the right or left from where you are. This is main reason why I chose the Parallax which can be steered from the middle of the board and is also a speed board.

Almost forgot. There is some narrative in the beginning of the video which ends after about one minute of time. All through the video, you can hear the pounding sound of the waves.

I hope you enjoy seeing this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vhf3e_IlEE

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2021, 12:05:17 PM »
Looks fun!  How cold does the water get? I noticed everyone wearing full suits.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal