Author Topic: Surfboards (Longboards)  (Read 61339 times)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2022, 06:11:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing the CJ Nelson interview.  The 1/3 fin is a good tip, I originally was introduced to it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0UihzchsfQ

You may find this video helpful, it talks about fin size relative to nose/tail rocker, mushy/critical wave.
He also calls BS on ft to in of surfboard board to fin ratio and explains why.
Tip 1: Fin to Tail Width ratio
Tip 2: Nose to Tail rocker
Tip 3: Fin Box Placement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3S-33thOVc

This is an interesting video where Tom Wegener draws influence from alaias for his modern single fin designs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pEp7WcS6CQ
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 06:25:42 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2022, 09:19:32 PM »

Devon Howard's Favorite Fins (190-195lbs):
https://www.katinusa.com/blogs/news/devon-howards-favorite-fins
Interesting read that covers different shapes and why.

I was recommended to check out Devon Howard by the guy who sold me my carver surfskate.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 09:24:06 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2023, 08:25:20 AM »
Thought I would give an update on what I've been doing with my 9'3' Parallax single fin surfing longboard. This will be a long post but it will be an interesting read for those who started out surfing on surfboards when they were young.

On Nov 16th 2022, I had a partial laminectomy over the L3, L4, L5 nerves in my lower back. Long story short, the procedure was successful, but I was told in no uncertain terms to stay off of my sups and my 9'3" surfing longboard until Mar 16th 2023. Since I had lots of time on my hands, I decided to look at over finning my longboard.

To recap, I have a CJ Nelson 9'3" single fin surfing longboard, with a 17" tail, 78.8 liters of volume in Thunderbolt Red construction. It is "not" a nose rider. More akin to performance longboard with 60/40 rails.

I have two fins for it and they are from the same company which is Flying Diamonds which is owned by CJ Nelson. Those two fins are a 9.0 Involvement fin for tiny to small waves and a 9.5 Involvement fin larger waves. Now, keep in mind concerning the 17" tail.

Most people start out by placing their fins in the center of the long fin box of the board. The further the fin is placed back in the fin box, the board is very stable, but it can be too "tracky" making the board hard to turn if one is not surfing off the rails. Too loose if the fin is placed at the front of the fin box so on a large wave making a tight right or left turn on the wave, the narrow 17" tail will "skid out" causing loss of control of the board.

Again, I had lots of time on my hands since I was waiting for Mar 16th, I wanted three things and they were:

1) Drive
2) Looseness
3) Having the fin placed right at the front of the long fin box

In order to achieve all of the above at the "same time", I knew it was going to take more than one fin. So my hunt for the above began. Let me begin by saying I'm 5'8" in height and weigh (at this time) 144 pounds.

Wave height is subjective depending on who is doing the measuring. A Hawaiian 3' foot wave is at least head high on me. So I measure wave height according to my height. A tiny wave is ankle high to knee high. A small wave is knee high to waist high. A medium wave is waist high to shoulder high and a large wave is head high and above.

CJ likes to measure his fins with one third of the fin over the rail. If I put my 9.0 and 9.5 Involvement fin at the front of my board surf a large wave, the tail end will skid out on a quick bottom turn. So I went looking for videos for a 9'3" Parallax to see where placing their fins for this board. Alas, there weren't any videos.

But I did fin a few videos where people reviewed their 9'6" Parallax boards, but they didn't say what make of fins, length of fins or where they placed the fins in the long center fin box.

CJ surfs his 9'6" Parallax with a Flying Diamonds 10.5 Parallax fin, but he never said where he placed the fin in the fin box. But this was clue number one. I did run across another 9'6' Parallax video and in this video, you can see where the 10.5 Parallax fin is placed and it is basically in the middle of the center fin box. And this was clue number two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XshJMTRg8t0

Since there wasn't any videos for the 9'3" Parallax, I had to switch gears so to speak. I went over to CJ's website and looked at all the models of longboards he designed looking for a similar board to my Parallax and it was the Outlier which you can see at the link below.

https://cjnelsondesigns.com/surfboards/

The Outlier comes in lengths of 7', 7'6", 8' and 9'. I went looking for a 9' Outlier, but again, there weren't any videos. So then I went looking for any videos for the 8' Outlier and there were some. Then I ran across one of CJ's videos where he explains what size fins he uses for this board and where he places his fins in the long center fin box depending on wave height and power of the wave.

CJ states he uses a Flying Diamonds 9.5 Parallax fin for smaller waves and places this fin at the front of the center box. And when the waves have more power (juice) in them, he uses a Flying Diamonds 9.5 Involvement fin, but I was not sure where he placed this fin in the center fin box. I thought if the wave was double over head, he would place the 9.5 Involvement fin a littler further back in the the fin box. But I don't surf double over head waves.

The video is below and you can skip ahead to the 3:35 time mark of the video which gave me clue number three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEc5z_8JdRQ

After seeing the video above, I went over the Firewire website and ordered me two fins. A Flying Diamonds 10.5 Parallax fin and a Flying Diamonds 10.5 Involvement fin.

When the ordered arrive, after Mar 16th came, I went down to Surfside, Texas since I have a good friend who lives there and we both worked at the same maritime company for 6 years. We also talk with each other, over the phone, once every two weeks. When I told him I was going to spend 5 days and 4 nights at Surfside to experiment surfing my two 10.5 large fins at Surfside Beach and Quintana Beach, he told me to stay at his home which I did.

During those 5 days, I encountered every wave condition height wise, power wise, wind direction, wind speed, etc. I'm a regular footer which means I surf my longboard with left foot forward about one foot from the center of the board and my back right foot, the arch of this foot straddles the stringer of the board.

With this setup with my 9.0 and 9.5 Involvement fins, not placed at the front of the center fin box, I could turn the board by rotating my hips left or right in conjunction with my shoulders. This did not work with the 10.5 fins.

By trial and error, I found surfing the fins on my longboard, when I wanted to turn left, I had to place the back right foot's heel close to the left rail of the board and when I wanted to turn right, I had to place the my right foot closer to the right rail.

Suffice to say, my experimentation worked for over finning a single fin performance longboard, with 60/40 rails as long as the board has a 17" wide tail and is not a single fin nose rider. The 10.5 Parallax fin and the 10.5 Involvement fin are now my "go to fins" for surfing my longboard for anything, surfng wise, down at any beach I encounter whether it be Surfside Beach, Quintana Beach, the Horace Caldwell pier down at Port Aransas or at the jetties down at the extreme tip of South Padre Island (at the jetties near Brownsville at the Mexican border)........all in Texas.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 08:44:41 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2023, 10:24:20 AM »
Thanks for posting this. Fun to read your appreciation of detail. This may drive you crazy but I sold my "normal" longboard (a Walden Mega Magic (9'6 x24) and am replacing it (for prone surfing) with a Starboard Longboard SUP at 9' x 26" @ 95L.  I'm too accustomed to my handles and deck pads... getting older (and/or wiser )     
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2023, 07:49:53 PM »
Dusk Patrol,
Let us know how the 9x26 goes for you prone. I have been thinking about doing that for a couple of years, but naturally never followed through. Seems like it would be nice to have a 9footer that you could knee paddle.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2023, 09:26:31 AM »
@ Dusk Patrol

If you're getting older and you wanted a board a little easier to handle than your Walden 9'6"x24" Mega Magic and decided to sell it so you could buy a Starboard Longboard 9'x26", that is a wise move on your part. Someone will get that nice Walden board.

When one gets older and doesn't want to give up what they enjoy doing, sometimes one has to compromise to keep doing what they enjoy and love.

As for me, I started surfing in 1968 when I was 15 years old. When my lower back started to act up, when it got to the point I knew I needed surgery, I bit the bullet and decided to get it done. And after seeing the MRI since I know how to read an MRI, I knew the risk I was going to take since the nerve canal over the L3, L4, L5 nerves was collapsing. And there was a bone spur pressing down on the L4 nerve.

My surgeon told if the bone spur has grown into the L4 nerve, the procedure could go "south" leaving me with a partial paralysis of my right leg or a total paralysis of my right leg. He told me he wanted to let me know the danger this procedure could produce since I could end up in a wheel chair.

I told him I choose the danger since I was not about to give up my water sports or archery hobbies. Besides, if I didn't have the surgery, the collapsing nerve canal would eventually put me into a wheel chair within a few years from now.

Since I had lots of time to recuperate, not only did I do research on longer fin lengths for my Parallax longboard, I also wanted to see if I could find another video showing in explicit detail Haley Otto's pop-up which I now call a "step-up". The main problem was, there aren't many videos of Haley Otto on YouTube or Vimeo.

But I kept searching for one and I finally found one three weeks ago and it is below which shows her pop-up in detail. The video below shows her pop-up six times. Since the first video I posted previously in this topic thread was shot from a drone, this video below was shot from the beach and it shows a much closer view of her surfing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axk4kDD7T8Q

Since my lower back has been repaired, I feel like an "old surfer with a brand new lower right lumbar back". Now I have the option of going back to the pop-up I had been doing for decades or staying with Haley's pop-up. I'm staying with Haley's pop-up because it is easy to do and takes less energy to do than my old pop-up. And at my age of 73, I "need" easy without expending a lot of energy which keeps me surfing longer time wise during my surfing sessions.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2023, 10:24:14 AM »

Surly - Will do. I ordered it in October and delivery ETA is June-ish. So being patient. 

Wing -  Women and longboarding just seem to go together.... Nice video of Haley Otto.   

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2023, 12:29:32 PM »
Hey NW, here is pretty good video on pop ups from a fellow NJ longboarder, Brian James.  In this video he is actually focusing on a pop up similar to Haleys. 

I find his videos entertaining and informative.  And yes, he is as personable in person as he seems in his videos.

https://youtu.be/LLRbDSHPbCo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2023, 03:07:21 PM »
@ Dusk Patrol

I did make one error in my last post. I began longboard surfing in 1965 when I was 15 years old. Not in 1968. Looks like I had a "senior moment".

@ Bean

Brian James video for his tail heavy pop-up looks great. And his video is about one month old now when he posted it (at this time). If I had to take a guess, it looks like Brian copied Haley's pop-up.

I know Haley has been doing her tail heavy pop-up for the last four years. Haley is real smooth when she does her pop-up. She makes her pop-up look easy and effortless. As they say, "Practice makes perfect".

And I want to thank you for posting Brian James video since it is a new video being one month old at the time of this post. It's much appreciated by me. I'm going to add his tail heavy/pop-up video right under Haley's video in my surfing videos collection (bookmarks/favorites).

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2023, 07:26:27 AM »
I ran across two videos which some of you may like to watch.

The first video is of CJ talking about his 8'3" Parallax mid length board using a Flying Diamonds 10.0 Parallax fin and where he places the fin in the long center fin box depending on the wave conditions. After finding this video and choosing the 10.5 Parallax fin for my 9'3" Parallax longboard, my choice was spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU0saNnqBwk

The second video is shot from a drone and the video is in slow motion. It shows the guy doing his pop-up many times which is very similar to my modified pop-up. BTW, the beach where this video was shot from is on the south part of the country known as Bali.

Also, I do not do any nose riding because my Parallax is not designed to be a nose rider because of it's rounded pin tail. And I do not do any "hot dogging" on my board like "sliding down the face of a wave tail first".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBD1aVtSmJc

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2023, 05:14:58 PM »
Another update. This one on a third pop-up style which involves "rotating the hips". It  can be seen in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK151uYYb3M

So I went down to Quintana Beach to try out this new pop-up for me.

Details: I'm 5'8", 144 pounds, age 73 (at this time).
Longboard: CJ Nelson single fin 9'3" Parallax in Thunderbolt Red construction.
My Style of Surfing: Finesse
Regular Footer: Left Foot Forward.

Quintana Beach's waves on the upper Texas cost are wind driven since the water is very shallow there. The best waves to surf are when the wind direction is from the west or southwest. These type of waves form organized waves.

Depending on wind speed, if the wind speed is between 8 to 12 mph, the waves are organized where many times they are rolling waves where they do not break over until the waves are about 15 yards from the beach. Basically, a line of unbroken waves rolling towards the beach.

I always check the wave forecast and also check the streaming webcam down at Surfside Beach before I go to the beach.

Quintana Beach is about a mile south of Surfside Beach at Surfside Beach's southern end. And as a slight bonus, since the water is deeper at Quintana beach, the waves are slightly higher than at Surfside Beach on the same day.

So the day I went surfing to try this new pop-up, the wind direction was from the west at around 12 mph with a 7 second period between waves. Wave height was about waist high (based on my height). Perfect conditions for trying out a new pop-up.

On this day I finned my Parallax with a Flying Diamonds 10.5 Parallax fin with the fin placement set at the front of the long center fin box.

The first wave I tried, my left front foot was not on the center line stringer of the board. It was placed too close to the left rail and the wave tipped me off of the board and into the water.

I was also a little bit too slow in my movement to do the pop-up. Once burned, lesson learned.

On the second try I was able to do the pop-up, but it wasn't what I call "graceful looking". But on the third, fourth and fifth pop-ups, the "swivel the hips" worked perfectly. I also looked and felt better at doing it. And my surgically repaired lower right back experienced no pain what so ever.

I surfed like this for 35 minutes according according to my water resistant watch (to 15 meters depth) which I always wear while I'm longboard surfing or sup surfing.

After that time, I went back to my truck to rest for 30 minutes and hydrate myself with lots of Gatorade.

Then I went back out and did some pop-ups that I copied from Haley Otto and Brian James since I wanted to compare their pop-up styles to the rotating the hips pop-up.

I surfed doing the Haley Otto/Brian James pop-ups for 20 minutes. Then I rested on my board for 20 minutes out on the water. Then came another 20 minute session doing the rotating the hips pop-up.

All three pop-ups caused no problems for my surgically repaired right lower back and all three pop-ups are easy to do.

But I did notice one difference. As I got tired energy wise, the Haley Otto style of pop-up was the easiest of the three pop-ups. So right now, I favor the Haley Otto pop-up.

Then I called it a day, packed up all of my stuff and drove back to my home.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2023, 03:38:55 AM »
That is quite an accomplishment if you can prone paddle and pop up at 73. I'm 66 and can only endure about 30 seconds of prone paddling without resting and going from prone to standing is very slow for me. If stand-up paddleboards hadn't come along in my mid-fifties, I never would have taken up surfing again. I could probably improve my prone surfing if I spent more time doing it but that seems like more work than fun.

-
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 03:51:01 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2023, 10:44:00 AM »
Yes, Wing is becoming a benchmark for me...

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2023, 02:28:31 PM »
@ Badger

Longboards for surfing have come a long way construction wise when I started in the year 1965 when I was 15 years old. Back in 1965, longboards were "logs" since they were a lot heavier in weight than they are now.

Also, single fins were glassed in where as now, fin and multiple fin boxes are the norm. Single fin nose riders back in the day had 50/50 rails. My niche single fin Parallax has 60/40 rails.

Construction wise, Thunderbolt Red built boards are much lighter in weight than the longboards built back in 1965. The underside of my Parallax has almost no concave in it. It is easy for me to prone paddle out 300 yards from the beach since I like to have a long gliding ride.

Because of the Parallax's design, there is another bonus. It paddles fast so covering 300 yards paddling back out after a long ride doesn't take a lot of energy for me. After all, I'm only 144 pounds and I never wear a wet suit.

As long as the water temperature is 66 degrees F (and above), I don't shiver. My body has a built in thermometer so when the water temperature reaches 65 degrees F, I will start to shiver so that is the first sigh of hypothermia.

Now you seem to look at longboard surfing as work because, I'm assuming here, you were used to using the old longboards from a bygone era. Therefore, you still assume, at your age, it is "more work instead of fun".

Where you live, if you run across some CJ Nelson single fin designed longboard models (Outlier, Parallax, Neo Classic) shaped by Ron Engle in Thunderbolt Red construction, see if the person owning it will let you demo it. I will guess it will change your opinion of "more work than fun".

But just remember. The right fin is the key because choosing the "wrong" design of fin, length of fin and placement of the fin in the long single fin box, can make a "silk purse of a longboard, turn into a sow's ear".

The old rule of thumb back when I started surfing in 1965, for every foot of a longboard, it needs one inch of fin. With that type of thinking, since my Parallax is 9'3" in length, the board will perform best with a 9.0 or 9.5 fin.

But design changes have to be taken into account. My Parallax has a 17" tail and it has a pintail. This means I can over fin my board. Depending on wave height, period of the wave in seconds, my two favorite fins are both made my Flying Diamonds and they are a 10.5 Parallax fin and a 10.5 Involvement fin.

Rule of thumb regarding fin placement in long single fin center box. If the fin is placed all the way forward to the front of the fin box makes the board feel very loose (skatey). Placing the fin at the rear of the fin box makes the board very stable with lots of drive, but harder to turn.

I always make sure I have at least one third of a the fin over the rails which give me lots of drive. But I wanted more than just lots of drive. I wanted the board to be loose enough to make a sharp turn without the tail end of the board skidding out.

With my two over sized fins above, each fin is placed at the front of the long single fin box. This makes my Parallax feel loose, but since the fins over sized, there is still one third of the fin over the rails so the board is loose, but still stable and has lots of drive (speed).

This will not be my last post on this topic.

I have been looking all over the internet daily looking to find a Donald Takayama 10.5 Halo fin. I have been looking at two main places who are dealers for this fin. It is a radical looking fin, but it is a winner. One dealer is Noah Kaoi and the other site is Hawaiian South Shore.

I have been looking everyday since January of 2022. Neither site has them in the 10.5 length I want. Below is link to what the Halo fin looks like.

https://noahkaoi.com/collections/fins/products/takayama-halo-fin

But last Monday night, May 15th, Hawaiian South Shore "finally" got a few Halo center fins in the 10.5 length. I ordered it, it arrived and it has been installed on my Parallax. And I plan on taking it for surfing session when the waves are conducive for surfing since right now the surf waves are basically "calf high" in height.

With the radical shape of the Halo fin, fin placement is a problem because for a long time, I never saw a video of anyone surfing a Halo fin. But I finally ran across a video of a Japanese woman surfing the Halo fin in Hawaii and this video showed me where to place the Halo fin in my Parallax.

In the beginning of the video where she is walking to the beach, you will get a glance of this fin in her Walden Magic longboard. It is at the end of the video, where she is rinsing off at the beach showers getting the salt out of her hair, sand off of her feet and also rinsing off her board.

At the 6:08 time mark at the end of the video, she turns to walk back to her vehicle and this is where you can stop the video and see the fin placement in her single fin box. Since she glides to the beach which is her surfing style and doesn't do any sharp turns, I figured her Halo fin is placed about 2" down from the front of the fin box.

Since I do lazy "S" shape turns when I do a long glide to the beach, I placed my 10.5 Halo fin (light green in color) one and one-half inches (1 1/2") down from the front of the single fin box. Enjoy the video. BTW, my computer's graphics card in my desktop tower can render this video in 2160p 4K high definition without any problems.

Change to the highest quality video definition your computer can handle and also view this video in full screen mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLV3U_eZt20
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 03:05:47 PM by Night Wing »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2023, 04:07:53 AM »
I have some friends who have various modern longboards. I might ask to try one this summer but I doubt it will go well. I have attempted prone surfing a few SUPs over the years. I figure if I can't do that, any true longboard will be impossible. 
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal