Author Topic: Surfboards (Longboards)  (Read 29043 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2021, 05:57:59 AM »
But my older kid is getting more into prone surfing  these days. Got his own longboard, he keeps it in my place so we usually going out together.  Perhaps one day I'm gonna join him with one of my longboards, just to check  if there is a way back :)

If you seriously want that way back, there is a way back. You just have to "really" want it.

My left (in 2002) and right (in 2017) shoulders have both been surgically repaired. The first thing, after each shoulder was repaired, both of my physical therapists asked me point blank, "If you have a goal for your shoulders, you'll have to do PT in here at the sports medicine complex for a month (3 times a week for 4 weeks) and then when released, do PT at your home for somewhere between 6 and 9 months.

They told me don't slack off because many people get complacent and don't realize those shoulders take time and effort to heal. So instead of 6 months of doing PT at their home, they do maybe 3 months. Their shoulders don't heal right and then they complain when it is their own fault.

I told each of them my goal was to get back on the water to prone surf and then later on, sup surf. So I did my PT at my home and it got me back on the water where I belong.

So if your shoulder still has an untreated partial RC tear, spend the money, take the time, do the PT work and get that shoulder repaired "right". Your shoulder will thank you in the end by letting you do things you haven't done in many years (like prone surfing with one of your longboards with your son) because of shoulder pain.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2022, 04:15:59 PM »
I ran across this excellent pop-up surfing video for prone surfing. This video will give in detail some of the various pop-up techniques for longboards and a longboard is very good for "older' prone surfers.........like quite a few of us here on the Zone site.

Since I'm going to be 72 years old in February, even with a partial tear of my meniscus in my left knee, I prefer the back foot pop-up technique (which is sometimes called the "chicken wing") which is perfect for older prone surfers. Since I'm 5'8" and weigh a "massive" 148 pounds at the moment, the back foot pop-up is perfect for me since I use my right foot for the back foot pop-up.

And it works great when I'm prone surfing using my 9'3" Parallax surfboard.

Hope you enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YshKx2BB0
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal