Author Topic: Fanatic Sky Wing Foil Boards  (Read 20606 times)

surfwingsteve

• Waikiki Status
  • Just get me to the sea
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fanatic Sky Wing Foil Boards
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2020, 08:50:23 AM »
This will help you with the little one

https://youtu.be/SPmSEm28Eq4

Saw that on youtube, Dwight, Awesome video, SUPER helpful, thank you!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »
Admin -- I'm thinking about purchasing a 5' 10" SS Out Wit.  Is it a descent wing foil board?

Thanks for any feedback.

Hi deja vu,

We loved our Outwits.  We learned a lot on those boards and I feel like they were a great purchase and an amazing value.  They were designed as SUP boards and while they may not be the end all for winging they are great to get started on.  What is your weight and experience with foiling?

Thanks for the response.

I'm 75 kg. -- I'm coming from one year of wind foiling and 40 years of windsurfing.

I am pretty well the same weight (5 lbs heavier).  I think your year of foiling will help a lot. The less you are falling and having to restart the less it matters if the starts are difficult.  I wouldn't have wanted to start on the 5'10.  Even the 6'6 was too small for me for the first few weeks. I think it was a full month or two before the 5'10 felt comfortable.  Most people that I see around here start with a dock of a board for a few weeks to get through the initial flailing.  It isn't perfect but there is a pretty quick progression down through sizes.  The whole process is really fun but I do think that you could frustrate yourself by going too small. 

Have you tried winging yet? 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »
Hey Bill,

This 6’0 x 29 x 120 liter sure looks like a possible wing board for you. If the photo is accurate, even the tracks look better located for winging, than SUP (farther back than a Kalama)

https://bigwinds.com/collections/wing-foil-boards/products/2020-ride-engine-moon-buddy-sup-wing-foil-board

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2020, 06:53:59 PM »
Thanks Admin.

I'm going to start with a high volume wide board to try and geat the hang of this and then hopefully move to a smaller volume, shorter board.

I did give it a try on a smaller board and did some flailing so I know I need some stability to attempt to get up and going.

Thanks again for the advice.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2020, 04:14:48 AM »
That is a great way to go.  Plan on a few incremental reductions, dropping maybe about 20 liters each time.  So far I have done 142, 120, 95.  I would have done a 5'8 x 27 if I had seen one that I liked but this 5'4 looked great to me and it was available. 

My end goal is to work out a money board like this 5'4 for light wind, junk wind, and travel and then to have a tiny waterstart board for good wind. 

In any event, you are going to love winging.  I have a stoke level for this that is only rivaled by my early windsurfing stoke. 

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2020, 06:21:23 AM »
When I first saw videos of foiling with a wing I knew that I wanted to give it a try.  I also knew that I needed to learn to foil first and the easiest way for me was to learn on a windsurf type of board.  That was phase one and now I'm moving on to phase two -- I have 6 and 4 metre wings and a large board to learn on.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2020, 06:28:34 AM »
Speaking of travel, I hope companies start making board bags. So far Armstrong and blue planet have bags but I'm hoping 30" wide bags with wheels get to market soon.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »
Definately a nice looking shape and price for a wing board. I wonder why they didn't offer something in the 110 L range for heavyweight riders? That's unfortunate. Wing boards take a beating from knees, pumping and climbing up on them. It will be interesting to see how these boards hold up over time with the offered construction. Sounds like vacuum bagged glass with a bamboo patch on the deck. I doubt the footstrap plugs are set in high density foam. Those are likely to be a problem and a surefire nidus for water entry. Construction matters alot. Dwight's boards I would expect to be much stronger.  I weigh about 250 lbs. and have been riding a 6'8" x 31" x 150 L board. It's time to downsize. Currently having a 5'4" x 29" x 114 L board being made. Still working out the construction details but super excited to see how it goes.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:50:37 AM by cnski »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2020, 08:22:32 AM »
Just a guess, but it looks like they are coming from the same factory as our Slingshot boards.  If so, those have been insanely strong.  The finish, packaging and construction feels identical. 

https://panjiva.com/Hei-Guan-Zhuhai-Sports-Equipment/1335270#

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2020, 09:26:57 AM »
Definately a nice looking shape and price for a wing board. I wonder why they didn't offer something in the 110 L range for heavyweight riders? That's unfortunate. Wing boards take a beating from knees, pumping and climbing up on them. It will be interesting to see how these boards hold up over time with the offered construction. Sounds like vacuum bagged glass with a bamboo patch on the deck. I doubt the footstrap plugs are set in high density foam. Those are likely to be a problem and a surefire nidus for water entry. Construction matters alot. Dwight's boards I would expect to be much stronger.  I weigh about 250 lbs. and have been riding a 6'8" x 31" x 150 L board. It's time to downsize. Currently having a 5'4" x 29" x 114 L board being made. Still working out the construction details but super excited to see how it goes.
Agree 100% fanatic missed the mark for larger riders on the wing specific boards,I’m in the same boat here! That new board you describe sounds right up my alley as I’m 225-230 any chance of making a extra👀Lol, no seriously be interested on where you might be getting it made   that sounds perfect big boy wing board size exactly what Fanatic shoulda made😡Please let me knowThanks Doug
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 09:31:45 AM »
Cool web site.

Here is another manufacturer name I know..

https://panjiva.com/Sonic-Composite-Technology-Ltd/26622917

They make Gong stuff.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2020, 10:22:08 AM »
Agree 100% fanatic missed the mark for larger riders on the wing specific boards,I’m in the same boat here! That new board you describe sounds right up my alley as I’m 225-230 any chance of making a extra👀Lol, no seriously be interested on where you might be getting it made   that sounds perfect big boy wing board size exactly what Fanatic shoulda made😡Please let me knowThanks Doug

I'm having my board made by George Hradil of Delta Hydrofoils. He's my neighbor so it makes sense. No shipping cost!! I'm sure he could build one for you if you were interested. I see you are in California? I would be very tempted to order a board from Dwight. Vacuum bagged innegra sounds tough. His boards are proven.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:23:50 AM by cnski »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2020, 04:37:12 AM »
I am loving this 5'4.  We have had two amazing days here of steadier winds (20 to 30 and 20 to 25) and I have been getting to know this board a lot better.  It frees me up and goes a long way towards taking the board out of the picture when its is foiling.  Yesterday was really soft pleasant 20 to 25 4.2 Swing wind at Roosevelt with flat water and no current right by shore on the Washington side where I launched side and a slopey, waist high swell over by the Arlington launch on the Oregon side.  The friendly wind and long swells were accommodating all angles of riding and the light rain gave it a super drifty feeling.  I did my best swell riding ever.  Better yet, the best swell was right over by the far shore where there was a strong eddy.  My board is a bitch for my kneestart in the strong opposing current we are still getting (the foils and rails get sucked down and it is real balancing act) but it is much easier in the eddys so I just knee over 20 yards, get a start off and get back to riding.

Some things we have noticed.  The 5'4 has a flat base from the tail to just before the front footstrap insert where it starts to gently rocker up to the nose.  That is pretty similar to our Outwits.  The deck angles up slightly from tail to nose.  That is different from the Outwits which are parallel.  It is subtle but it is there.  That makes it so if you level the deck to the water, the foils would be pretty close to no lift or even facing a little down.  That is worth knowing because visually it can mess with you a little if you are used to something like the Outwit and I did a few nose diggers while i was getting used to it.  Now it feels great.

The 5'0 and 4'8 are much more extreme like this.  The boards are flat only through the mast tracks and then rocker up steeply to the noses.  That means that if you are standing balanced in the stance position the boards rest with the foils angled significantly down.  Your back foot has to be back on the tail and weighted a lot to get the foils into a lift position.  That was a big adjustment for Chan who has a narrow stance and is using the 5'0.  That board has more deck incline again and also flies nose up (even moreso than the 5'4).  It is really cool to see Chan ripping around on this little thing.  It looks awesome. 

Chan hasn't tried the 4'8 yet and I still have plenty to learn from the 5'4. 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 04:44:57 AM by Admin »

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »
Hi Admin, have you tried the 5'0 yet?  Really interested to know about that board. I'm 83kg and looking to replace my 6'6 116 lt BluePlanet SUP Foil board I use for winging. I'm used to years of 75-80 lt windsurf boards so am familiar with how that volume supports me, but in a longer length. I'm a competent fast knee starter in pretty much all conditions from 10-30+ knots. I'm looking for that one board to wing with and can't decide between the 5'0 or 5'4.  I've got lots of variety from lake to ocean swell and point waves to "grow into" on my wing journey.  Thanks for any input on the 5'0 and 5'4.  Stay healthy & happy!  Rob
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
Hi Admin, have you tried the 5'0 yet?  Really interested to know about that board. I'm 83kg and looking to replace my 6'6 116 lt BluePlanet SUP Foil board I use for winging. I'm used to years of 75-80 lt windsurf boards so am familiar with how that volume supports me, but in a longer length. I'm a competent fast knee starter in pretty much all conditions from 10-30+ knots. I'm looking for that one board to wing with and can't decide between the 5'0 or 5'4.  I've got lots of variety from lake to ocean swell and point waves to "grow into" on my wing journey.  Thanks for any input on the 5'0 and 5'4.  Stay healthy & happy!  Rob

You can do the 5’0 no problem. I can ride my wife’s 75 liter no problem. I’m 190.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal