Author Topic: Fanatic Sky Wing Foil Boards  (Read 20599 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Fanatic Sky Wing Foil Boards
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 04:25:00 AM »
For reference, here is the Fanatic 4'8 (4'6) next to a Slingshot High Roller 4'6 Surf foilboard and an Outwit SUP 5'10 foilboard.  Second shot I added my 6'6 Outwit. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 07:27:24 AM »
This will help you with the little one

https://youtu.be/SPmSEm28Eq4

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 07:49:38 AM »
Wow, that was great.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 07:56:46 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
Thanks Bill. I was motivated by something I saw yesterday.

A young teen, sponsored pro wakeboard champion, and winger, so good he rides a 30 liter board winging, boosting air in straps..became a total kook trying to mount and ride Jacky抯 wing board and deal with the leash. He normally rides leash less.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 07:55:51 AM »
This will help you with the little one

That is a nice video DW.  Lots of good stuff in there.  I can't lift a knee from a kneel without using both hands on the deck so I have to do that before lifting the wing.  The two problems with this are that I have no forward motion when I go for my knee and that the nose gets pulled straight downwind every time when I lift the wing.  I have learned to make that adjustment really quickly on our current boards but I think I will have to learn it again for these little ones. 

Have you tried the FCS Freedom leash on your ankle?  You will never have to do any of that leash clearing again.  I hated that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 08:01:07 AM »
The FCS freedom leash works equally well on a waist belt. Even stepping on it is not the big deal it is with a regular leash. I haven't tested the breaking strength but I like them too well to give it up even if there are strength issues. I would use one on a big SUP or anything in big waves, but for winging with foilboards it works well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
I saw them today at the end of a fruitless but enjoyable ride to Roosevelt in hopes of wind. No joy. But it was nice to hang out, Diane was thrilled to get out of the house and have humans (Admin and Chan) to talk to. She literally said that, so obviously I don't count in that category, which many people will find unsurprising.

Those boards look sweet, and while they are really dinky, the larger one looks like it would work for me. I'm going to have to con Admin into a board swap, though I know he's seen what my wings look like (mauled by lions) and may be a bit reticent. It was Maui--coral reefs, no such problem here, I swear.
Bill be great if you can try and talk admin in for a test run on the 95L to see if that can be doable for us HW class riders,I抦 wanting to downsize from my Kalama supfoil for a more wing specific board and not a lot of options for us larger riders out there was eyeing the Fone V2 6𖌯20L but not coming till late june/July the sky wing 95L looks nice but is that a bit to small for us HW the $1300 question?
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 01:14:40 PM »
Have you tried the FCS Freedom leash on your ankle? 

I have. It drives the leash deep and it gets caught on the foil wing tips. I much prefer the coil because it never gets caught on the foil. I can deal with a leash I can see, better than one deep under water doing weird stuff.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 01:28:33 PM »
Admin -- I'm thinking about purchasing a 5' 10" SS Out Wit.  Is it a descent wing foil board?

Thanks for any feedback.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2020, 08:17:33 PM »
Paddlur, I'm going to wait until Admin stops thrashing around on the board before I ask to try it. And since I kind of ran him over today while he was trying to get up onto the board, and it certainly wasn't completely on purpose, I think he might bear a grudge. It probably would have been better if I hadn't laughed about it.

I may have to wait for the statute of limitations to expire.

I am thinking that my 6'6" X 32 Flying Dutchboy board is a bit too big, and I'll be considering something under six feet, but still wide and thick. I'm thinking somewhere around 5'8" X 31" but that might be my inner chicken talking. If I can get up on Admin's little toy maybe I'll be more aggressive sizing my next wing board. I was stupid in sizing the Flying Dutchman for both foil surfing and winging. Its a little too small for comfortable paddling and a little too big for winging. That shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Its almost the definition of "compromise".

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2020, 10:10:23 PM »
Funny one Bill almost spewed by brew! Kinda in the same boat I抦 riding my Kalama 6𘪏40L for surf supfoiling love it for that app,but like you for winging would like to try a little smaller I keep telling myself or maybe I抦 fooling myself?At any rate hopefully you can patch things up with admin for the accidental flybys so you maybe could have a go on that 95L and see if it抯 doable for us HWs or not,hoping it might be as that would sweet as it抯 a great looking wing board.On another note don抰 know much about the Fone boards as never seen one in person but perhaps when the V2 6𖌯20L become available that might be a option for us big guys production board wing specific wise. Wish I knew more about Fones build quality that抯 a concern.Certainly like to hear the reviews of the sky wing 95L from admin and especially a fellow HW hopefully you might get a chance if the flybys subside give em little more airspace😳
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 03:23:58 AM »
Hah!  Bill did surprise me with a little wing thump on the back of the head.  Dickbag.  I was preparing what was certain to be a glorious and graceful kneestart and I hear this decidedly evil sounding cackle behind me.  Then thump and I'm in the drink.  It actually makes sense that he was so close because the other 80 miles of available, windy river were clearly not as alluring as the 5 foot four inch section that I was using.  Much better now.  He can still try the board.

This (5'4) is going to be great.  Let's do the tough stuff first.  The wind was a gusty 11 to 25.  Blasty, but still in the fun range.  I was on a 5.0 Swing and an Axis 920 with a 400 tail, which was as good a choice as anything.  The Sky Wing 5'4 is 15 inches shorter, 3 inches narrower and 25 liters less volume than my previous mainstay board (6'6 Outwit).  I am 6'2, 170 lbs.  Getting to my knees, gathering the wing and knee cruising is much more pitch sensitive than on our 6'6 or 5'10 Outwits but not too bad.  Most of you will be able to pull a knee up and start from that position and if so, I think you will be golden.  I have to do an alternate start method and I definitely struggled a lot with fine knee positioning in during that process.  Doing my start (drop the wing, use my hands to get into runner's start stance, then fly the wing) is very touchy.  I did some great slapstick shit trying to work this out.  Plenty of flails and fails.  Even so, I stayed out for 2 hours and started to figure some things out that I think will make this manageable with some practice.  Once I got the wing in hand and the board was redirected to a reach the actual kneestart was easy.  Plenty of volume and comfortable stability right on the footstrap inserts.  No problem getting straight into the straps right from get-up.  The setup is the bear for me but I think I can work that out.  Ugly as I am sure it was to watch, I learned a lot yesterday and had a ball doing it.

Now for the awesome stuff.  The board takes off easier and faster than any board I ever used.  Just the littlest pop and it is flying.  I did pump takeoffs, no pump takeoffs, and a full surface planing takeoff just for kicks.  There is no bad way to get this thing airborne.  It wants to fly.  The missing weight from the nose is super apparent.  It is crazy responsive to foot pumping and turn initiation and that feels so cool.  Twice I pumped through the long dead zone behind our island with near zero wind.  Pumping feels more natural and takes less energy without the extra nose.  I need to move my mast back a little to adjust for the weight that is missing from the nose.  The same measurement (center of front footstrap to front of mast) from my old board is too lifty on this one.  A smaller stabilizer may also do it or even a smaller front wing.  That would be cool if I could back down a wing size.    I am going to try that.

The deck is great.  I don't love concave but where my feet land on this board feels perfect.  It has a skimboard style arch bar which I love.  I don't have any feeling in my right foot and poor feeling in my left but I can feel my legs resist on that bar so I can tell where I am and it is a great reference without looking down.  Surface cruising once standing is comfortable.  26 inches wide is relatively narrow but the board is very stable from side to side once standing.  I see no problem surface cruising out to a distant wind-line or surf break if it is sub foiling wind. 

All in all I am incredibly stoked so far.  Right now I could (and will) use this my main board.  The knee starts are very inconsistent still and none to glamorous but that should improve.  When I am down I am down for a while.  Even so, I can always get a knee start off even if it takes a few tries :).  The foiling part is ridiculously fun and is well worth the hassle and humiliation of these early knee starts.  Yesterday I was really intent on working out the kneestart, so I was doing hundred yard reaches with a kneestart at each end.  Next time I will just kneestart when I wipe out and that should emphasize the positive a bit more :)

I haven't tried the smaller boards yet.  I have plenty to learn on this one for a while but hopefully, if I get this down, what I learn could be used with the 5'0 (4'10) as well.   Baby steps.

So stoked to be underway with this.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 03:38:47 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 04:17:58 AM »
Admin -- I'm thinking about purchasing a 5' 10" SS Out Wit.  Is it a descent wing foil board?

Thanks for any feedback.

Hi deja vu,

We loved our Outwits.  We learned a lot on those boards and I feel like they were a great purchase and an amazing value.  They were designed as SUP boards and while they may not be the end all for winging they are great to get started on.  What is your weight and experience with foiling?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:49:29 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 04:32:54 AM »
Stoked for you Admin.

When i first started winging, I wasn抰 sure myself, if a wing board would be worth the hassle. One ride and I was blown away. Same reaction for Jacky too.

Bill will be next to join the party.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2020, 07:55:01 AM »

Thanks for any feedback.

Hi deja vu,

We loved our Outwits.  We learned a lot on those boards and I feel like they were a great purchase and an amazing value.  They were designed as SUP boards and while they may not be the end all for winging they are great to get started on.  What is your weight and experience with foiling?

Thanks for the response.

I'm 75 kg. -- I'm coming from one year of wind foiling and 40 years of windsurfing.

Here's something for you to sink your teeth into -- a nice review of the Sky Wing boards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwZUkFNr2Hs
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:57:05 AM by deja vu »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal