Author Topic: Fanatic Sky Wing Foil Boards  (Read 20598 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Fanatic Sky Wing Foil Boards
« on: May 14, 2020, 03:23:51 AM »
Completely stoked that these things are here!  I picked these up yesterday (pretty well 5 minutes after I got the call).  I was already packed with our current boards (and I want to get these set up right) so I haven't gotten them wet yet.  That is a little bit of a shame because yesterday was perfection and it would have been an amazing first day but, oh well.  They will get wet!

First things first.  The packaging was amazing and the boards all arrived in great shape.  Pulled them out of their boxes and the first impression is that the fit and finish is top notch.  They feel bomber.  I know, saying something feels strong is kind of like saying it looks light.  All the same, they feel bomber

Yes, it is 3 AM and yes, I have been weighing and measuring boards.  It pretty well goes without saying that the numbers that get printed on any production board can be disregarded lightly regarded.  I consider those marketing names only.  The notable points on these are that the listed weights all seem to have included the footstraps, footstrap hardware and foil mounting hardware so without that the boards are all lighter than posted.  Also the lengths are all  shorter.  The  4'8 is 4'6, the 5'0 is 4'10 and the 5'4 is is a skosh under 5'3.25.  The widths are all correct within a quarter inch (but where they are off they are under).  I can't say what this does to volume, if anything.

These are the actual specs of the 3 boards within a quarter inch and on my bathroom scale:

4'8:  4'6 x 22 at 11.9 lbs.
5'0:  4'10 x 24 at 13.8 lbs.
5'4:  5'3.25 x 26 at 15.4 lbs.

More soon...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:28:01 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Fanatic Sky Wing Foil Boards
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 03:35:58 AM »
They look nice.

How did you measure length? Top, bottom, bottom following the nose curve, bottom following the nose and tail curve?

Shapers measure the bottom following the rocker curve. Measuring the deck side, makes a board about 2 inches shorter.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:39:16 AM by Dwight (DW) »

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 05:42:51 AM »
Very interested to hear how it goes with the smaller two. Have fun!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:56:34 AM »
Hi Dwight,

I measure tip to tip by positioning each board vertically (no lean) with the tail on the floor and holding an angle square to nose and to the wall and then measuring in a straight line from the floor to the angle square.  I find this to be the most helpful.  It tells you what size bag you need and what the fit in your car will be like.  It is also nice for comparing to other boards (at least our other boards).  Our Slingshots are within a quarter inch  to their name measures of 6'6 and 5'10 tip to tip using the same method above.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:58:17 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:51 AM »
Ok, So Sky measured them the right way  ;D. I wonder if straight is the windsurf way? Have not measured any windsurf boards to check the theory.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 08:24:57 AM »
Get them wet ASAP!!! and tell us your impressions!
they look really good!

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 08:47:26 AM »
The Trifecta Admin!  Those Sky Wing foil boards look great. I have a 6'6" 115 ltr Sky SUP foil board  and love it, but also looking forward to downsizing to a smaller wing foil specific board this summer. 

Looking forward to your reviews
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 09:54:03 AM »
Boards look super cool.  You will love the handles on the underside.  Makes the whole carrying the wing struggle much easier.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 11:04:43 AM »
They do look real nice no doubt just wish they woulda made a model for us larger riders😡
wish they made a 110-120L winger board,looking forward to a ride report👍
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »
I saw them today at the end of a fruitless but enjoyable ride to Roosevelt in hopes of wind. No joy. But it was nice to hang out, Diane was thrilled to get out of the house and have humans (Admin and Chan) to talk to. She literally said that, so obviously I don't count in that category, which many people will find unsurprising.

Those boards look sweet, and while they are really dinky, the larger one looks like it would work for me. I'm going to have to con Admin into a board swap, though I know he's seen what my wings look like (mauled by lions) and may be a bit reticent. It was Maui--coral reefs, no such problem here, I swear.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 12:24:36 AM »
You can try it for sure.  We will just do a deep water swap :).  A good time to come by will be when I am screaming, "f#%! this stupid little thing".  I am sure I have a week of that ahead of me.  Let's hope its only a week...

Things I have noticed so far:

It is really nice to have footstrap inserts that allow dual front straps without modifications.  If you like that setup this is great.  You actually get angle options as well.  you can use either the inner or outer board inserts for more or less angle and then you can fine tune with the three holes on each side of the straps themselves.  That gives you a pretty significant angle range.  It is also really nice that you don't have to double up on a single screw (for the back screw of the front straps).  There are two insert lines there and they have just enough spread to easily go side by side.  I set us up at the lower angle position and using the widest possible spread for the strap.  That makes it so I have about 2 inches of nose to tail slide in the front strap.  I like that a lot on my old board.  Chan has a lot more slide for her tiny feet. 

The straps themselves are really nice.  They have a cm ruler at the adjustment overlap so you can switch easily between riders.  Honestly though, even the middle 5'0 (4'10) size looks tiny to me for a kneestart board at this point so board switch seems pretty unlikely at least in the short term.

These handles are super nice.  They have internal angle on both sides of each handle and that allows for a really positive grip and a lot of control over the board.  My walking sucks so anything that gets me in/out of the water easier is awesome. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:57:58 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 03:40:20 AM »
Use the wing surfer as an outrigger (when mounting and getting situated perfectly on the deck) and you’ll be fine on the small one. I can ride Jacky’s little board no problem.

gulljammer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 03:54:37 AM »
Hi Admin, stoked that you got your new boards. What’s the deal with the vent plug? I see an ATTENTION tag. Is it a remove after every use plug or a goretex vent plug?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 03:57:14 AM »
Use the wing surfer as an outrigger (when mounting and getting situated perfectly on the deck) and you’ll be fine on the small one. I can ride Jacky’s little board no problem.

What size and volume is Jacky's board?  4'10 x 24 wide just looks tiny to me thinking of my goofy knee start.  I will be stoked if the 5'4 works and anything else will be gravy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:37:48 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 04:01:12 AM »
Hi Admin, stoked that you got your new boards. What’s the deal with the vent plug? I see an ATTENTION tag. Is it a remove after every use plug or a goretex vent plug?

I tossed those but I think it is a pretty generic message.  Loosen when out of water.  I never do.  I only take them out when I fly with them. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal