Author Topic: Longer masts  (Read 838 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Longer masts
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:12:48 AM »
Who is winging on longer masts?  Lets say 85 plus.  I have never used anything over 76 but I could see it being nice for chop and swell.  What did you notice when you went longer?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Longer masts
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 03:49:39 AM »
When I go longer, I adapt so well, I cannot go back to shorter because I crash constantly. THAT is the problem. Also pumping is harder on longer.

So I go longer in smaller increments. I have a custom cut 82cm Axis mast. I can swap between 75 and 82 no issue, with 82 just giving me a safety margin without screwing with my instincts. I ride 82 in the ocean and 75 in the river. 82 in the river hits bottom too often.

I wish Axis made that more lengths.

Oh BTW, crashing on a 90cm sucks big time. You want to ride wing near the surface for speed, so you do have to ride high and crash from high.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:04:50 AM by Dwight (DW) »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 04:28:26 AM »
I love 80cm right now.. I found 90 a bit hard to recover from a breach crash and 75cm feels a bit short.. Itís amazing that just a few cm can be so noticeable.

I just cut my old 90 down to 85 today because Iíve heard that thatís the magic length that works best for wind-foiling. (says my friend JB from Naish).

Iíve ordered the new wider/lighter/stiffer Naish mast in an 85 length and thought I should start getting used to that length.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:31:17 AM »
Yes, a little more seems like it would be nice.  The next size up in the carbon is 96 right now.  That seems a little long.  Anyone riding mid 90's?  Axis is doing a Carbon 86 (which I will get for sure when it comes) but they are saying fall for those. 

Solent Foiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 06:12:20 AM »
I ride an 85 out of necessity. Wind against tide kicks up brutal chop so need to stay above it. Was riding a 65 before that and moving longer I definitely felt the separation from the foil. It's got so much leverage over the board that you need to stay on top of it. Can't be a bit lazy and recover after - need to keep that control, particularly when pumping to get up and foiling.

I'm curious about going longer but I've got several other things to try out first!
I'm 5'10", 65kg riding:
Naish Hover Crossover 120
Gong Catch 5'3"
on Naish foils (1250 & 1650).
Gong Plus wings - 4m, 5m

VB_Foil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 07:04:38 AM »
I learned on 72CM, but basically only ride the 85CM now (even if it means wading 300 yards out into the river for adequate depth at lower tide).   The biggest plus for me is being able to be flying upwind, spot a good 'set' of river waves and crank a gybe and start riding de-powered.   With the 72CM, I would breach quite often, but I go entire sessions without breaching on the 85. 

It is a long way down when cruising in to shore and jumping off to land in the knee deep water beside the board.  Anyone have good dismount techniques? haha. 
Iím a 5í9Ē 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4'5.5" 33L Armstrong
   4í10Ē 37L FSM
   5'1" 74L FSM
   5í11Ē 100L FSM

Foils: Armstrong 1050, 1200, 1550, 2400
Wings: F-One Swing 3.5M and 5M

Fishman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 08:29:26 AM »
I love 80cm right now.. I found 90 a bit hard to recover from a breach crash and 75cm feels a bit short.. Itís amazing that just a few cm can be so noticeable.

I just cut my old 90 down to 85 today because Iíve heard that thatís the magic length that works best for wind-foiling. (says my friend JB from Naish).

Iíve ordered the new wider/lighter/stiffer Naish mast in an 85 length and thought I should start getting used to that length.
Hey David do you have any more info on that stuffer new wider mast from Niash? If it will fit the older fusalge & plate... I couldn't find anything on Google.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
I've used my 90 surf foiling, not winging. When you're way up on top of a wave on a 90 it feels like you're standing on a step ladder, and if you breach or otherwise fall it's like you fell off one. I hit so hard my right arm went numb for a few minutes. That was kind of scary. You wouldn't think 15 cm (6 inches) would make that much difference, but it's a damned big six inches (no sexual content implied).
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 10:52:32 AM »
Axis 90 worked great yesterday for my first winging adventure :)
That said I'm used to to 80-100cm from kitefoiling and wouldn't consider shorter than 90 anymore unless shallow conditions demanded it.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »

Hey David do you have any more info on that stuffer new wider mast from Niash? If it will fit the older fusalge & plate... I couldn't find anything on Google.

Iíve been told.. yes it will fit the old fuselage.. and the only difference is the base plate is now bonded to the mast and does not come apart there.. I saw a team rider using one back in November, last year.

Fishman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 01:09:00 PM »
Nice, I'll keep an eye out for that.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

wrighty

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 05:46:17 PM »
I normally use the 75 Axis mast but occasionally use a 90 when downwinding or in really choppy conditions.

We had a 24kms Ocean downwind race here in Western Australia (King of the Cut, stand up paddle board race that allowed wings last year) and I decided to use the 90 to reduce the number of breaches/crashes, I was expecting the wind to pick up but it was still very light at the start.

I’m sure the extra drag of the long mast was the reason I had trouble getting up and going for a while.
It was good once up and going and as the wind and swell slowly increased but you do have to ride them high to reduce drag and go faster, so yep the crashes are harder.

I managed to finish though which was my main aim.

I have gone back to the 75 mainly nowadays but I do think something in the 80-85 range would be great.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:51:01 PM by wrighty »

obxDave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 11:32:12 PM »
  What did you notice when you went longer?
Good for chop and swell. Harder to learn new moves on. Amplified any spongy mast issues. Axis 90 and Moses 82 longest

Learned jibes, flying foot switches, toe-to-heelside tacks, heel-to-toeside tacks and 360ís (disclaimer: still at 25% success rate on 360ís) mostly on a 65cm mast in ~ 48Ē of water first. Much less intimidating and painful doing these transitions on a long mast in messy chop........after learning them in the kiddy pool ......(same deal with kite foiling)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:38:54 PM by obxDave »