Author Topic: Google map of my secret Baja Spot  (Read 4947 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Google map of my secret Baja Spot
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:00:49 PM »
Pretty cool. It looks like it might be a bit of a trick to get into the water, but then you're used to that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 04:01:08 PM »
This was created in a Google Maps feature called projects. I'm not real sure how to share it. Please let me know if it works and how well.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 04:02:20 PM »
It must works. The trick isn't getting into the water, its getting there.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39:27 PM »
That... is a hike. Tom, do you surf anywhere that’s easy? ;)

That setup looks great. And am I right that on the right swell, with a foil, you could do the whole thing top to bottom?

I wanna go. And cool tour too.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
So many rights. Looks like heaven to me.

I consider going left a completely different sport.
Make paddleboarding great again!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:22:19 AM »
Looks a little cleaner than K55 ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 06:29:51 PM »
Nice looking spot.

I haven't tried using the project feature in Google Earth yet and I imagine the tools are similar but you might find it easier to make maps in Google maps....you can still share them in google earth by exporting the kml or kmz file. I've been using Google maps to create maps for 10 years or so. I just exported this one to KMZ and it opens in Earth perfectly (not the web based version for some reason though).

This it in Google maps, unfortunately I can't attach the KMZ here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3586733,-71.0866797,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!6m1!1s1GQlGbO4dThgaM2dzI0W3PrC0lag?hl=en

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:32:19 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 09:52:50 AM »
I'm still trying to figure google map and google earth out. Someone showed me projects in earth and I kind of stumbled through it. It produces a KMZ, which I can download, but haven't figured out how to use it.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 10:08:19 AM »
That... is a hike. Tom, do you surf anywhere that’s easy? ;)

That setup looks great. And am I right that on the right swell, with a foil, you could do the whole thing top to bottom?

I wanna go. And cool tour too.

It's mostly all rights, picks up both a North and South swell, but gets very windy most of the year, especially spring and summer. Water is usually cold. No facilities or supplies at all except for a few outhouses.

One time on a massive North swell some windsurfers road the same swell from Bombora all the way to the fish camp, over 1.5 miles.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 06:17:27 PM »
for what its worth, I can't access the link you originally sent.  any chance of sharing lat/long location?  It sounds like a spot I've been to windsurfing with rights going all the way from the point to a fish-camp 1-2 miles down the coast.  Fish camp sold us ice and all kinds of wonderful fish, crap and shellfish

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 07:34:46 PM »
The link only works for me if I open in an incognito window, but after that it's pretty cool.  Thanks Tom

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 08:50:38 AM »
jondrums, Its probably the same spot. 29.619496 - 115.497787

digger, that's interesting. I just can't figure this out. Guess I'll have to look into it. I get different results from clicking that link with my cell phone. my PC, my tablet, or my wife's tablet which I'm not logged into google. It looks like there are different results with the different zoners clicking the link. I think it may have something to do with location privacy and permissions.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 01:11:02 PM »
yup, that's the spot.  Incredible place.  I could tell some pretty good stories from going there for years.  We quit going down 10 years ago when it became unsafe to travel the main road.  The locals in Baja are so sweet that I couldn't imagine it, but a fellow windsurfer was held hostage while they extorted his family for money back in the US.  Nobody got hurt, but that was the end of that.  Has it improved again?  One year a buddy of mine flew his plane down there, but I never thought about that since there would have been no good way to get all the windsurfing gear in the plane.  This post has me thinking again about hitching a plane ride down there with a wing and a sleeping bag...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal