Author Topic: Opening Water Access after COVID  (Read 1620 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Opening Water Access after COVID
« on: May 09, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »
Watch out Oregon. It’s so ridiculous the crowds, this mess has to be coming everywhere soon.

So today, they opened Jetty Park (ocean park) to season pass holders only. You need to live in this county to get one, so Orlando people can’t get in. It was nearly empty. Just 3 wingers.

Can we call this 10 times normal.

https://youtu.be/6dLlfm97IXU
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:29:45 PM by Dwight (DW) »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Water Access after COVID
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »
LA opens Friday. I can not imagine what that will look like lol.

I’ll be staying home.

Actually I’ll be somewhere secret, telling my friends I’m staying home. ;)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
It's the weekend. It's sunny and warm. The water's 70 deg. Everyone doing their part in social distancing... I think?

I mean, just about everyone is walking, jogging, swimming or surfing. Their just not supposed to sit or lay down on towel and stay in one place.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:54:09 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 07:20:34 PM »
Our crowds were pretty intense as well, but the waves were iffy ;D ;D  ;D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:12:43 AM »
Ricky, you shcmuck  ..rub it in.  You left Whitey in FL but I heard he's on his way back and piss'd you didn't let him know you were leaving.

Once opened, I expect every day to look like the 4th of July here.  Luckily, all of 'us' can get plenty of social distancing.   The only problem is parking lots - you are 3' away there!? ..with gobs of kids.  If they made it odd/even empty/odd parking, gun-nuts from the Mich Malitia would show up.  I like the no sitting idea; that will clear the beach.  Drive three hours from Wash DC and not be able to sit - Yes. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 08:05:27 AM »
This piecemeal opening and "no sitting" rules are strange. Is there any science supporting outdoor spread of CV? There are articles saying"probably safe" and "safer outside", but I can't really find much. If the only place you can go for fun is the beach or trail, that is where you will go. Human nature will never change. Regarding outdoor spaces, "they" should open all of them at once and spread the love.

I stand behind any prior post, that we should be forcing people outside for all of our health. Even just sitting on a bench and watching the ducks, is better for you than watching CNN, while checking your phone in a la-z-boy.

In WA we have more cases than Oregon, but again it is so cold here that crowded beaches are never a problem on our best days (especially the surfing beaches).

We have beach "locals" who have posted on their social medias ad nauseum "We don't need visitors. Our small hospitals cannot handle an outbreak". This is why beach parks are not open. Their posit is true regarding the size of the regional hospitals, but would not the outbreak be scaled to the size of the community? I guess the worry is an outbreak at the gas station, or grocery store, but still the visitors would be returning home with the virus if they brought it.

The argument is business owners can control their inside spaces for sanitizing and spacing and businesses allowed to be open are successfully doing this. If I'm being truthful I kind of like waiting outside the Home Depot 6' apart and then having more room inside. It it actually pretty efficient, rather than waiting at the checkout line, especially with a cart full of lumber.
Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal