Author Topic: Opening day casualty  (Read 3089 times)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Opening day casualty
« on: May 09, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »
Well our beaches are finally open.  Excited to legally be out on the water.  After a fun few first rides, I lean into paddle for another wave and then I hear a loud snap, then i fall in.

I am used to falling in but then i look at my paddle.  I got a solid year out of this paddle.  I am bummed as I have really gotten used to this paddle.  Oh well, will be reaching out to Jim to see what my options here are, fix or replace with newer blade.  Does anyone have opinions on the UV blade for sup foiling?  Or others as compared to the Vdrive.

supthecreek

Re: Opening day casualty
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 05:58:24 AM »
A year?!?!
Yikes, is that on foil?

Surfing and flat-water, I have only broken one paddle in 9 years, averaging over 200 days a year on the water. I karate chopped the middle of the shaft with a flying 10’6 SUP.  ;D

I have chopped ice with them till I split the blade open, but that was easy to repair.

surfwingsteve

• Waikiki Status
  • Just get me to the sea
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 07:05:58 AM »
Broke two Naish super lightweight and flexible carbon fiber paddles in the same spot leaning my 200lbs onto my paddle on a bottom turn.  First one they replaced, second I got my money back.  I believe there are paddles made that are reinforced at the neck.  I've had a carbon fiber Kialoa Methane now for over 5, no problems.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 09:11:24 AM »
The only paddles that I ever broke happened to be QB  ;D. Fixing them can be expensive/not making much sense. I have one VDrive 91 cut at 74-75 that I might sell if you're interested.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 11:17:33 AM »
I enlarged your pic and noticed that the paddle shaft fits inside the hollow neck of the paddle.

That gives a mechanical advantage to the shaft.
When pressure is applied between blade and shaft ... the shaft has a lot of leverage to split the hollow neck of the blade

I prefer the way Sunova and KeNalu paddles approach that union.

The long neck of the blade, is solid packed with foam for strength, and inserted into the paddle shaft.
IMO this is a much stronger connection between blade and shaft, as it gives a long solid section where the most stress is applied.

Maybe none of this will matter, if you are hitting a sharp foil blade with your paddles, but worth a mention

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 03:17:07 PM »
thanks guys for the feedback.  I am not sure if there was some impact on the neck of the paddle (between blade and shaft).  the blade did break right at the connection to the shaft.  It could have had some impact on my foil,board, rocks in the past and it just gave way this session. I exchanged messages with Jim and he said that I should be able to put a new blade onto the shaft.  He also mentioned that the blade was fiberglass not carbon.  I really like the lightness and shape of this shaft so ideally want to keep it as long as i can.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 07:05:48 PM »
You're absolutely right Creek, it's a big deal. I've never understood how a great designer and engineer like Jim Terrell would miss that point. A male ferrule on the blade end lets you reinforce this critical joint. Kenalu paddles actually have a carbon "girder" perpendicular to the force on the joint inside the foam of the ferrule as well as just having a better mechanical advantage. I've broken plenty of KeNalu shafts--I'm clumsy--but never a blade.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
Well thanks to Jim, he was able to put a new carbon blade on my shaft.  Pretty stoked!

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 05:46:26 PM »
And here's one for you HI folks.

supposed to be HI flag, but the pic isnt clear.

Paddle lite

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 04:25:49 PM »
Well our beaches are finally open.  Excited to legally be out on the water.  After a fun few first rides, I lean into paddle for another wave and then I hear a loud snap, then i fall in.

I am used to falling in but then i look at my paddle.  I got a solid year out of this paddle.  I am bummed as I have really gotten used to this paddle.  Oh well, will be reaching out to Jim to see what my options here are, fix or replace with newer blade.  Does anyone have opinions on the UV blade for sup foiling?  Or others as compared to the Vdrive.

What??  That's a bummer.  What is the paddle made out of?  I've had the same paddle for years, with no issues.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal