Author Topic: Foil progression question  (Read 1439 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foil progression question
« on: May 08, 2020, 08:31:29 AM »
 I have learned to wing foil on to the Fanatic Aero 2000 long fuselage foil.  It has 2000 front wing/500 rear, 75cm mast and 80 cm fuselage.   Love the foil, gets me up in an instant and from all I know, a great riding foil.  I have progressed quickly from day 1, but like I said it's all I know and wonder if it is limiting me.

What are the advantages of going to smaller size foil wings, and/or a shorter fuselage?

Yesterday was out in some big  winds with my 4.0 Duotone. Some of the gusts were close to 30 but the foil and wing were very much in control and I enjoyed the speed at which I was riding.

I am guessing smaller wings = more speed , less stability?

thanks for input as always
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Foil progression question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 09:05:15 AM »
Shorter fuselage will make pumping onto foil easier. It will also make foot switches harder.

Smaller, faster foils, allow you to ride in lumpy seas and high wind with less up/down pulses in the ride. The small foil will cruise under the wave energy more smoothly, less affected by it.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 01:19:43 PM »
Yeah what Dwight said.

I would ask what "problem" are you trying to solve?

My approach to foiling is as a surfer riding waves, and I want to be able to carve tight turns.  So the potential problem is not enough wing and I come off the foil coming out of a turn because there is not enough wave energy, or the opposite I fly out of the water because either to much lift or the wing is so wide the tip comes out and I fall.

With wingding i look at foiling the same.  I go with a big wing until I am having trouble keeping it down in the water.  I also size down if the swell or bumps have big enough or steep enough faces that I want a narrower wing that will fit better in the curve of the wave.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
Thanks Dwight, you are an encyclopedia of wing foil knowledge. You shoukd write a book.   

Thanks Clay , like you I am a surfer first and a wave sailing windsurfer.  I guess I dont know what I dont know.  Sure eventually id love to carve on waves and make tight gybes with my wing.
I just wanted to know if my larger foil is holding me back from progressing.. that and the 115 liter Sky SUP.   I also wasn't sure why a lot of the foilers on the Zone are riding smaller wing foils. Before i invest in one id like to know why i should or if I need to. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 03:06:01 PM »
A wing board will boost performance more. Do that first. Smaller foil later.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 04:15:52 PM »
Short fuselage (from standard) was a big adjustment for me.  I like the idea of less underwater but I was surprised by how sensitive everything became.  I expected a little but I was surprised by how big the difference was.  It took quite a few sessions to get used to that.  I am liking the short a lot now but I wouldn't want to go to the Ultra short.  That would seem like too much.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal