Author Topic: Ensis Wings  (Read 36085 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ensis Wings
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2021, 02:49:58 AM »
Tried the 3.5 in pretty mellow wind yesterday with averages ranging from 15 to 20.  That is a really nice wing.  Strangely, the leading edge handle is sewn in a different place and is much larger (hoopier - not as tight to the leading edge) than on the 4.5.  This lets it flex right down to the water and allows me to lean on it as hard as I want for balance.  So nice.  I wonder if all of the 4.5's are sewn like mine(?).  It seems odd and it kind of interferes with the leash attachment point.  I may be the only one that cares, though :).  3.5 is my most used wing and this one seems really sweet.  Different handle configuration on the 3.5 as well.  2 longer handles on the 3.5 vs 2 medium sized handles with one smaller center handle on the 4.5.  Both feel good, although the back handle on my 3.5 is snug to the strut and I did miss it once jibing yesterday.   That may stretch out with use.  I love the size of this wing and lowered down it does crank into the wind.  That is fairly addicting.  It will be interesting to see if I can use this to mostly fill the place of the Swing 4.2.  If so I will be really stoked.  Today it is going to 10 PSI and we will see :).
My wife and did a lot of wing switching on the water yesterday between Ensis 3.5, Swing 4.2 and Swing 5.0.  There is not much doubt in my mind the Ensis 3.5 can replace the Swing 4.2 and is actually closer to the Swing 5 in terms of low end.  All wings were inflated up to the manufacturers recommendation (as best we could).  I have not noticed any issue with the leading edge handle on the Ensis for my use.  The only real downside for us with the Ensis, and it is not a minor one is that in overpowered conditions, it is more physically demanding than less stiff wings.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2021, 02:53:09 AM »
I was on the 2.5m yesterday. Walking back to the van, I’m noticing my knuckles rubbing, holding the nose handle. l look at the handle, WTF, it’s different than all our other sizes.

Could this be good news? Meaning Ensis is a company that will make improvements when they see an opportunity? That’s better than a brand that won’t change crap stuff until the new model year. I hate brands like that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:18:58 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2021, 06:10:26 AM »
The only real downside for us with the Ensis, and it is not a minor one is that in overpowered conditions, it is more physically demanding than less stiff wings.

I am glad you said that.  We weren't sure if it was just us being mostly out of commission for a few months or the wings.  :) We did feel that hey were pretty physically demanding.  I felt like I had been doing pushups after the 4.5 sessions and this has been mellow wind. 

If I could use the 3.5 as my 4.2 and 5.0 though that would be great.  How light can you go on the 3.5?

WingSurfPeterT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2021, 06:46:15 AM »
At 230 lbs with wind in the low to mid 20s and gusts to upper 20s, touching 30, I was  just a bit over powered yesterday with the 4.5 ensis in the stronger gusts so ordered the 3.5 when I got off the water ;D.. looking forward to pushing into slightly windier conditions

I've been out in a few fairly cold sessions recently with air temps from 28 to low 30s, water in the mid 30s and also kiting in these conditions and winging works surprisingly well, maybe a even a  bit easier on the fingers than kiting. With modern wetsuits keeping the core warm is easy, just the fingers are the issue.  The only time I have have had forearm/cold hand issue is when under powered and can't hook in to my harness. I'm unhooked most of the time just hooking in a for short  upwind run lets the blood back into my finger. I think the reason winging works well is even though I grip harder than kiting I go on short tacks and switch up my grip more. Kiting I tend to get stuck with same grip for longer periods as need longer tacks to get back upwind.

The only bummer about winging vs kiting in the cold is with a kite I can stay dry getting on the board, while winging have to get wet walking out into deep enough water to start :o but that's just mental. The really good thing about winging is I am often going solo as not too many others like the cold and winging feels so much safer than solo kiting in confined onshore spots

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2021, 12:55:51 AM »
We are in a good stretch of wind now.  It was pegged at 23 average yesterday with a pretty tight range.  I pumped the 3.5 to 10.  No pop, good sign :).  It is great there.  Starts like a dream.  Upwind is terrific and the last hint of wandering is gone.  Downwind still feels awesome.

I need to get Airtime to re-sew the back handle with just a little more room.  The front one is fine but that back one is right on the boom and it is too easy to hit it and still not get my fingers under.  wah, wah, wah. I may have them do the leading edge handle on the 4.5 as well.  Chan used the 2.5 and had a great session.  She thinks it feels bigger than the Swing 2.8 with less of an off option.  Not sure where that leaves us.  She felt like she was over and near the limit on the 2.5 and it was 23 gusting to maybe 27, 28.  A tick more wind and I would have been better on a 3.0.  Chan already would have been better on a 2.0.  We get this wind or stronger most days in June, July and August.

I am hoping that Ensis is getting some new sizes ready.

These are really a different experience than the Swings.  It is more of a camber induced  feel.  Really locked in and stable but...really locked in and stable.  I can see how harnessed riders love these.  I think they will be great for upwind/downwind and they will be awesome point to point downwind wings.  For all out playfullness and that unlocked freedom of motion feel, they lose something.  It is an age old trade-off that windsurfers are already used to.  Nice to see great options for both available in wings now.  That is new!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 01:03:20 AM by Admin »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2021, 12:23:33 AM »
I am planning to try an Ensis wing and buy one if I like it.

But I read somewhere that there is a V3 coming out soon??

Who knows more about this?

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2021, 10:23:58 AM »
Live2Kite says hitting the factory May 15 and arriving at store June 15th-25th.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2021, 10:48:46 AM »
I got to try an Ensis wing--a somewhat flogged 4.5. Beat up enough that I felt comfortable trying it (I don't mind lending gear, but I generally hate borrowing). The power was remarkable--more like a 5.0, I liked the handles, and I like the way the wing feels--very easy to fly, I know what Admin means about the camber-induced feel. But just like a camber-locked sail, there's no off switch. With the wing pretty much straight overhead I was still accelerating and felt out of control a few times. I could get used to this, I think it might be the ultimate light-ish wind wing design.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2021, 04:28:54 PM »
Any reviews of the new Ensis score? 

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2021, 12:51:24 AM »
I’ve had 4 sessions on my Score 4.5. More powerful than my V 2 4.5, more camber, but felt it has a better high end too. Windows are good, and just everything is a bit more refined, not that V2 wasn’t, but tweaks to panels, handles etc

Pleased with it but the V2’s are still great, love my 3.5/2.5. Only updated my 4.5 as it’s my most used size at 77kg.

After 1yr winging I’m getting up and going well we on smaller sized wings than I would have 6 months ago, they can be pumped up hard for max performance or with a little softer feeling for better gust munching, although you’ll lose some pumping ability, but if it’s windy enough it doesn’t matter.

Mike

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2021, 02:39:25 PM »
I wish Ensis would hurry up and ship the Score. You can see why in the video.

https://youtu.be/8wIu2dYsxjM

https://youtu.be/AmDmyWm6gs8
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 02:41:27 PM by Dwight (DW) »

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2021, 05:39:35 PM »
I thought your were getting them a month ago??

I just picked up a 4.5.  Quite a big change from my f-one's, but I'm liking most the changes.  Lots more power, upwind capabilities are better, luff's nicely on waves, windows are nice (not the best view, but enough).  I find the handles a little too thick/wide, the bag is too small, and the valve cover never wants to go back on correctly.  Otherwise it's a great wing.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2021, 07:39:56 AM »
Here's Balz Muller racing in light winds on the new Ensis 6.2 wind wing with a Sabfoil 799.  6 to 16kn so lots of pumping in the lulls -- mostly lulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHlpjd_nCTQ

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM