Author Topic: Ensis Wings  (Read 36168 times)

Mario_Wings

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ensis Wings
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »

I now have an ENSIS quiver that started with the 5.2 and 3.5 and have since added the 4.5 and 2.5

Wings that have a lot of power at their bottom end when compared to my friend (same weight and gear) using Echos but just an observation as I have never used the Echos so someone who has used both could make a more informed comment on this.

Used the 2.5 yesterday. It is amazingly powerful/efficient and there seems little chance of catching the wingtips on the water compared to the 3.5 as it has much less wingspan.

It says 25+ knots wind range but I feel it needs much less than that to get the W1100 Moses wing up and flying and having fun for an 87kg/110L board.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2020, 02:54:04 PM »
I finally have a 2.5!  These wings look and feel fantastic.  The handles are snug but they feel great.  Having narrower shoulders I appreciate the hand placement range provided by the longer holds.  I can't wait to get back in the water.   We're headed to Baja in a few weeks so I'll get this wet soon.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:56:30 PM by Chan »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »
awesome...but don’t get too excited. haha You’ll need a 1.9m. That’s what I’ve been asking for  ;D  ;D

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2020, 06:55:46 PM »
Do you think they'll make one?  That would be awesome! 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2020, 02:16:53 AM »
Do you think they'll make one?  That would be awesome!

I’ll ask today. I’m winging with Evan.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2020, 03:12:16 AM »
These look really nice.  The wing feels very rigid in both the canopy and the wingtips at the suggested 8 PSI (suggested is 7-8 on the 2.5). 

The handles are surprising.  They feel very good in hand.  For my hands on the 2.5 (we haven't opened the others yet) the straps are right on the strut so they actually have to open to allow my hand in.  When my hand is in, the handle is lightly snugging my knuckles to the strut in the center of the handle and it is very tightly wedged in there at the handle edges.   I am not sure how this will be for handle passes with gloves on, but it feels awesome in terms of positive connection.  This seems like it will be amazing for backwinding tricks because you can immediately push out with your fists on the strut.  That is a drawback to the hoopy Swing handles.  When you go to backwind there is nothing to push on until the strap collapses and the strut hits your hands.  A lot of times the handles collapse off center and your hands miss the center of the strut.  That  is hard to come back from. 

I have never used this valve.  It seems pretty straight forward.  Is it just a pressure fit?  It blew out on me once during inflation.  No big deal.  The wing didn't deflate at all so I just needed to reinsert.  When I reinserted I did so much more firmly and it didn't happen again.  Is there a trick?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 03:14:27 AM by Admin »

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2020, 04:36:41 AM »
You’ll love them, the handles give a bit when used and wet. I have no problem with gloves.

The valve is just pressure fit, I lick mine first to help the pressure fit and rarely pops out.

You’ll find them very positive with a great connection to the power. They feel more like a windsurf sail to me when pumping, which you won’t need to do much.

Mike

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2020, 04:48:46 AM »
I press with a slight twist, to lock the pump hose on. Mine has never blown off during inflation.

This is my favorite inflation valve design. I’ve used and owned every type on the market.

The handles open up under load and stay open after break-in.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2020, 05:15:06 AM »
That all sounds good.  We've had snow but now we have 3 days of 50's coming up.  Oh, yeah.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2020, 08:35:45 PM »
It was 59 this morning in San Diego and I chickened out on going surfing--too cold. I'm disgusted with myself. Laird would give me a noogie and a wedgie.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2021, 12:28:36 PM »
Hi all, does anyone have any experience or knowledge to compare Ensis v2 versus Duotone Unit's?  Thanks in advance! Rob
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2021, 02:40:57 PM »
RobM- That's a very good question. I own 4,5, and 6m Units and have a 5.2 V2 Ensis in my posession and plan to spend a day doing back to back comparison between the two wings but have had a run of 4m wind. Will report back once I have done the test. I've read that the Unit has better low end and the Ensis has better high so will be interesting to see.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2021, 01:38:16 AM »
We have been having a good time getting to know these wings.  I have 6 days on the 4.5 now.  We came off of a full year on the F-One Swings which which we really liked.  Of all the new wings that we had seen, the Ensis looked the most enticing.  They looked super stable and I liked the idea of the added handle positions and the relatively compact design.  Before these, I had tried a number of other wings and hadn't found any that I liked as well as the original Swings. 

I am still getting used to these but all in all I am enjoying them.  They are very different than the Swings, some good, some bad.  The best features are that the wing (when really inflated) is super smooth.  Kinda Cadillac smooth.  It points into the wind really nicely and I haven't felt any distortion yet when pointing high.  It rests rock solid when single handed on the leading edge handle (that may be my favorite feature).  It just sits there waiting.  The wild thing is that it stays in full wing shape, just horizontal, and it seems like that shape allows the wind to support it and keeps it very mellow.

They have plenty of power.  I don't really see myself using the 5.2.  The 4.5 works well in 14 mph average and starts to feel too much over 20.  I have been going to the 4.5 where I would have used the Swing 4.2 but I am going t start using the 3.5 for that.  I am not sure that I feel more power that is unrelated to the extra size.  I had no complaints with the power of the Swings, though.  They both deliver in that department.

The downside of that power combined with that stability is that they don't spill wind easily.  If you like a wing that you can just twitch into full off, this is not the one.  Also, just like with the Swings, I didn't like them at all at listed PSI.  They wander too much.  They bulge a little at 9 PSI but everything gets nicer. 

They are a bit heavier than the Swings and you can feel it.  This contributes to the overall feel of calmness but at some expense to liveliness and directness. 

The handles are mostly great.  I love having the extra positions.  I find that underhand front hand now works (never felt comfortable on the Swings) and they are much more rigid which feels very positive.  I mentioned how nicely the wing flies off of the leading edge handle above.  That is great.  That same handle is a pain in the ass when down on the water.  It is really high on the leading edge and it is very tight to the leading edge.  That keeps it from being comfortable to push down on when knee starting.  Rather than being something stable to push down on, the handle rocks down towards the water and the clew rocks up.  I rely on that handle a lot for that so that is one of those major minor things for me. 

I don't love the valve system but it is workable.  I had though these may be quicker to deflate/bag than the Swings but they end up being about the same.  Those little hose clips kept closing on us so those had to go. 

I also have to work something out with the leash.  The wing basically rests nicely on the water but when it is cranking and it does break free, holy shit does it want to pull your arm off.  It hits the end of the leash at full power.  That is isn't going to work for me in Gorge winds. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:30:52 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2021, 08:19:31 PM »
Thx man. Solid review.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2021, 12:49:40 AM »
Tried the 3.5 in pretty mellow wind yesterday with averages ranging from 15 to 20.  That is a really nice wing.  Strangely, the leading edge handle is sewn in a different place and is much larger (hoopier - not as tight to the leading edge) than on the 4.5.  This lets it flex right down to the water and allows me to lean on it as hard as I want for balance.  So nice.  I wonder if all of the 4.5's are sewn like mine(?).  It seems odd and it kind of interferes with the leash attachment point.  I may be the only one that cares, though :).  3.5 is my most used wing and this one seems really sweet.  Different handle configuration on the 3.5 as well.  2 longer handles on the 3.5 vs 2 medium sized handles with one smaller center handle on the 4.5.  Both feel good, although the back handle on my 3.5 is snug to the strut and I did miss it once jibing yesterday.   That may stretch out with use.  I love the size of this wing and lowered down it does crank into the wind.  That is fairly addicting.  It will be interesting to see if I can use this to mostly fill the place of the Swing 4.2.  If so I will be really stoked.  Today it is going to 10 PSI and we will see :).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal