Author Topic: Ensis Wings  (Read 36165 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Ensis Wings
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2020, 05:32:08 AM »
Our inland friends who are likley working on their icefishing shacks have it on sale...

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/ensis-watersports-wing-v1/

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2020, 06:41:47 AM »
A buddy who can’t get registered for this forum just sent me his review. My buddy is 215 if memory is correct.

Just saw your post on the Ensis wings

I've been on them for about  3 or 4 weeks now. got the 6,5.2 and 4.5 from evan @ live2kite

For a big guy like me they are ideal. I tend to pump the wing better than the board so well suited for my skills.

Also the power really helps in saving me coming out of transitions a bit off balance..so fall much less.

I use a harness always, so now switched to mono harness lines with the really stable draft. Huge difference from the wasp where the draft moved lots

I almost could skip the 6 as the 5.2 gets me down to 14 mph no problem, but will be nice for light summer winds. 

One lighter guy (name removed) tried the 5.2 and did not like it. He felt it was to powerful and locked in. LIkes the looser feel of his fone better. Maybe he would like the 4.5 better.

I can't seem to get approved for the standupzone forum. I register and it emails back the admin will approve me but that never happens...tried several times . Probably some email blockage issue.

I did send him Admin’s tips for beating the system  ;D

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2020, 08:01:36 AM »
The wing part looks great. The backs of my knuckles started bleeding though just looking at those handles, way too close to the strut. Looks like a relatively easy short boom mod.

My knuckles never touched

Mine definitely would, I'd get a dark color like this one so the blood won't show.
Next wings will be something I don't have to mod right out of the box.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2020, 08:59:38 AM »
What the best can do with a 5.2 in very little wind!  As far as skinning knuckles -- get a pair of gloves with the half the fingers cut away (any big building supply place will have them).  I'm looking forward to more feedback about this wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIdyb4UUDI

Mario_Wings

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »

The wing part looks great. The backs of my knuckles started bleeding though just looking at those handles, way too close to the strut. Looks like a relatively easy short boom mod.

Mine definitely would, I'd get a dark color like this one so the blood won't show.
Next wings will be something I don't have to mod right out of the box.

hi all . . . I am new and have been trying to get on the forum for a long while . . . thanks to Dwight's hint, I am here after just a few hours :)

I have had the ENSIS wings since September I think and thought the same as you regarding the knuckles. However when you have power in the wing, the handles do not sit close to the strut is what I have found . . . and the knuckles are clear of the strut.

I am 86kg and started with the 5.2 and 3.5 (love it). Although the gap is fine, I have a 4.5 arriving today or tomorrow and a 2.5 on order. I have not used any other wings so can't compare directly though they seem to be powerful for their size.

styleito

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »
A buddy who can’t get registered for this forum just sent me his review.

I can't seem to get approved for the standupzone forum. I register and it emails back the admin will approve me but that never happens...tried several times . Probably some email blockage issue.

I had a similar issue when I tried to register. I emailed the site support address and received a reply stating that I should try to register again using a very obvious water sports name. It worked and then I changed my username back to what I wanted in the user control panel.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »
There is a new sheriff in town.

Kelly Park today

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2020, 03:39:44 PM »
how many of those are yours?   ;D

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2020, 03:49:34 PM »
From the photo it looks like the Axis gang was in town.

I'm a little surprised that those using Armstrong foils haven't all jumped on the Armstrong A-Wing -- I've heard good things about it.

Anyone know what the differences are between a similar sized Echo and Ensis -- positives and negatives.  I've used an Echo, Wasp and the new Cabrinha -- I think the Echo would be my first choice, although I don't like its unruly behaviour when it's on its own in the wind.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:51:08 PM by deja vu »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2020, 04:13:06 PM »

I'm a little surprised that those using Armstrong foils haven't all jumped on the Armstrong A-Wing -- I've heard good things about it.

Anyone know what the differences are between a similar sized Echo and Ensis -- positives and negatives.  I've used an Echo, Wasp and the new Cabrinha -- I think the Echo would be my first choice, although I don't like its unruly behaviour when it's on its own in the wind.

Handles are why none of my friends jumped on A-wings. We are boom fans.

The Ensis, has the direct feel and hand placement freedom of a boom, without the negatives.

Today, another buddy, who is a massive hater of handles, tried the Ensis. He told me the next wing he buys to fill gaps in his Echo quiver, will be the Ensis.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2020, 06:10:42 PM »
I’m drinking the kool aid here and just ordered a 6m seems like a good wing choice for a heavyweight for starters on the ensis wings,been happy with my starboard/airush wings but been intrigued with ensis for a while and after hearing the reviews here I’m jumping in looking forward to trying it out
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2020, 08:48:00 PM »

Handles are why none of my friends jumped on A-wings. We are boom fans.

The Ensis, has the direct feel and hand placement freedom of a boom, without the negatives.

Today, another buddy, who is a massive hater of handles, tried the Ensis. He told me the next wing he buys to fill gaps in his Echo quiver, will be the Ensis.

Thanks for the response.  I'm also a big fan of the boom and it looks like the Ensis has most of the advantages of the boom (Echo) and perhaps a better bottom end with a controllable top end (little to no backwinding) without the drama (flipping around on the lease while you pull it in). Overall I feel the Echo is a really good wing.  If the Ensis is a better wing then it must be near or at the top of the wing offerings currently available.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2020, 12:55:12 AM »

....thought the same as you regarding the knuckles. However when you have power in the wing, the handles do not sit close to the strut is what I have found . . . and the knuckles are clear of the strut.

I saw that in the video as well, unfortunately too close. Still it looks like an easy mod to two short booms as the wing looks great. Cut the handles in the middle, add 4-6" and put something similar to what I've used on my wings. It's worked great all summer but even this was too much occasional abrasion.

It's unfortunate it's so hard to try this stuff before buying...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:58:36 AM by Thatspec »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2020, 01:37:27 AM »
Hi guys,

Lets get some weights.  Stoked to see that they ditched the windows.  The original video of Kahului harbor with that ultra stable looking wing was pretty convincing.  It looks like they have now produced that design.  Sweet.  It will be cool to see how these compare to the upcoming F-Ones.  Great times for wingers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal