Author Topic: Ensis Wings  (Read 36167 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Ensis Wings
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2020, 05:47:31 AM »
4.5m is 5 lbs 4oz

Leading edge Dacron feels more heavy duty and stiffer, but it could be just the new crispy material feeling. I actually hope it is more heavy duty.

Triple rip stop canopy is going to be heavier than double rip stop. This is triple.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 05:53:38 AM by Dwight (DW) »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2020, 12:53:46 PM »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2020, 06:45:39 PM »
Dwight, from your posts and from Evans’s texts to our chat group it seems like you are partying with the Axis boys. ;)

He tells me it’s pretty good there. I’m dying to get down there.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2020, 08:25:19 PM »
I'd be interested in hearing flkiter's impressions of the Ensis V2 wing.  I was seriously thinking about purchasing a 7 metre Echo but all this Ensis talk has given me pause.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:29:13 PM by deja vu »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2020, 01:07:19 PM »
Dwight's review is pretty spot on. I think the strap handles allows for the wing to sit perfect for the arm reach of each rider. I find I can go up wind really quickly with this wing and if I'm riding on shore light winds, I can keep the tail up without having the dreaded riding into the wing while on wave that I've had with so many other wings. The handle doesn't go all the way to the front of the strut which I think is designed that way to get the pull point back from the nose of the wing, helping it to avoid back winding easily. The jumps are solid and actually a bit floaty if you can imagine. I've ridden several boom'd wings factory and aftermarket set ups and I've never really liked them. I liked the stiffness and speed the wings could go in turns and up wind but the whole adjusting and weight in the waves was the down side to me. The ensis gives the best of all the wings. Plus with long handles I can rest my arms some by adjusting where I'm holding the wing at and ride in a less aggressive stance.
Things I'd like to see changed in the future, shorter wing tips of possible. Deflate dump valve on strut, bigger bag with pocket, leash like F1 rope material. Other than that little things, they've been awesome wings. I'm now mostly on 5.2&3.5 which with F1 it was 6&4.2. plus I'm using smaller foils since the frame is really ridged and throws you onto foil quickly, I get away with less foil under me. So smaller wing, smaller foil for the same winds.

fishetc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2020, 04:39:22 PM »
Anybody have any comparisons between ensis v2 and Brm wings? Haven’t heard anything lately about the brm wings

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2020, 08:23:18 PM »
Dwight's review is pretty spot on. I think the strap handles allows for the wing to sit perfect for the arm reach of each rider. I find I can go up wind really quickly with this wing and if I'm riding on shore light winds, I can keep the tail up without having the dreaded riding into the wing while on wave that I've had with so many other wings. The handle doesn't go all the way to the front of the strut which I think is designed that way to get the pull point back from the nose of the wing, helping it to avoid back winding easily. The jumps are solid and actually a bit floaty if you can imagine. I've ridden several boom'd wings factory and aftermarket set ups and I've never really liked them. I liked the stiffness and speed the wings could go in turns and up wind but the whole adjusting and weight in the waves was the down side to me. The ensis gives the best of all the wings. Plus with long handles I can rest my arms some by adjusting where I'm holding the wing at and ride in a less aggressive stance.
Things I'd like to see changed in the future, shorter wing tips of possible. Deflate dump valve on strut, bigger bag with pocket, leash like F1 rope material. Other than that little things, they've been awesome wings. I'm now mostly on 5.2&3.5 which with F1 it was 6&4.2. plus I'm using smaller foils since the frame is really ridged and throws you onto foil quickly, I get away with less foil under me. So smaller wing, smaller foil for the same winds.

Thanks very much for the reply.  This wing seems to be a real winner.

Wave Chaser

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2020, 11:57:05 AM »
Anyone tried the Cabrinha Crosswing X2?  A different take on boom-like handles.  Wonder how it compares to Ensis.  I bought a 5M X2, but have only tried it on land so far.  Feels great to me, but this is my first wing, so I have no basis for comparison.  Tucker at Mac Kiteboarding gave it a thorough review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqYwSs0corw
5'9"
140lbs / 63kg
Axis HPS 830, Ultrashort fuse, P350 tail, 86cm carbon mast, 45l Axis Froth board

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2020, 03:35:12 PM »
I suspect the quiet around BRM is more because Jason H's YouTube seems to be their entire marketing department. 😂 Super small brand but I wouldn't see that as bad.

NewEnglandFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2020, 05:23:49 PM »
I own all the BRM Cloud wings, sizes 2-6M.

In the past I've owned slingshot v1, duotone v1, ozone, f-one, Naish v2. I've tested friends' Armstrong wings.

I like the Cloud wings the best based on their lightness, power, rigidity, handles and narrow width (to avoid burying the wingtips). The 5 and 6M leaving edges are huge but they seem to provide great grunt in light wind.

I should be able to test an Ensis next week and report back with a comparison!

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2020, 05:33:06 PM »
Anyone tried the Cabrinha Crosswing X2?  A different take on boom-like handles.  Wonder how it compares to Ensis.  I bought a 5M X2, but have only tried it on land so far.  Feels great to me, but this is my first wing, so I have no basis for comparison.  Tucker at Mac Kiteboarding gave it a thorough review.

According to Tucker (email to me), the Cabrinha Crosswing X2 has the best sheet in and go power of all the wings they carry. 

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2020, 08:25:32 PM »

There's a thread here regarding the Cabrinha V2 wing.  I demoed it and found it backwinded a bit too much for my taste -- I liked its power and the handles (mini booms).

Wingfoil1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2020, 11:22:00 PM »
My first post here after considerable difficulty registering, almost gave up but then saw a useful tip about what your user name should be to get approved.

Anyhow, I’ve had the Ensis 5,2 for a week now. Had 3 sessions on it. Other wings I have owned or tried of similar size are the Naish 5,3, Armstrong 5,5, Duotone Echo 5.

All of these wings have positives and negatives. As far as the Ensis goes the positives for me are:
instant low end power; stiff canopy; build quality; upwind ability without backwinding; relatively small leading edge; stability when flagged out; good handles; large wind range; no windows; relatively light.

Negatives are: ridiculously small bag; flat profile makes tacking more difficult than other wings with dihedral shape; valve system (much prefer the Naish spring valve); large wingspan makes dunking the wing tips common; wing stability necessitates more aggressive man-handling of the wing in transitions; I don’t believe this wing is the size they claim - seems bigger to me.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2020, 02:10:30 AM »
A couple of buddies laid the 5m Echo on top of the 5.2m Ensis. They found them identical in size and planform, wing tip width, center span, wing tip to wing tip width. FYI, the 6m is the odd man out in the range. Its planform is different than all the other sizes. The 6 reminds me of the Naish 6m in planform.

I think the Ensis has double thick Dacron in the center zone of the leading edge. This might be the source of the tremendous stiffness. It doesn’t need 10 psi to be stiff. Or a huge leading edge to be stiff. 7 psi is super stiff with this wing.

I wonder if dihedral naturally reduces power. Less projected area to the wind with dihedral. The Ensis has almost no dihedral....the source of the huge power?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:27:06 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2020, 02:37:45 AM »
I wonder if dihedral naturally reduces power. Less projected area to the wind with dihedral. The Ensis has almost no dihedral....the source of the huge power?

Dihedral 100% reduces power (efficiency).  Think of all the foils with Dihedral.  :o  Ohhhh there are NONE!  Because it isn't efficient.

Dihedral was invented for stability.  If stability isn't needed then remove it. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal