Author Topic: Ensis Wings  (Read 36169 times)

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ensis Wings
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 08:30:29 AM »
I’ve had the 6m for a while, it’s fantastic. Recently swapped my Naish S25 4.6 for a 4.5m Ensis too and an orange 3.5 is in its way to me. Light, v stiff, powerful and great to fly.👍 Rumor has it they are producing Wing boards, probably from Balz design next spring🤪mike

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 08:50:47 AM »
Sweet Mike,

Do you have the V1 with windows or the V2 without?  How are the handles?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 09:46:29 AM »
They dispensed with the big trailing edge cutaway, which seem kind of silly, though the trailing edge flapping probably isn't a beneficial element of mode squared off wings.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 06:58:15 AM »
Admin,  my 6m is V1 with windows blue/grey. My 4.5m in B2 no windows blue/grey and v light. My 3.5m in orange/grey V2 no windows. The 6m has been fantastic, not been windy enough for the 4.5/3.5 since last week. But I love them, light, stiff and powerful. Plus I love the handles.Mike
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:40:56 AM by Mike dubs »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:07:16 AM by deja vu »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 06:29:15 PM »
My thoughts...

The Ensis has sheet and go power. It gives the wing a powerful feeling, and a easy to get going characteristic. The worse your pumping skill, the more likely you are to think it’s very powerful. The sheet and go power is so good, your first ride, you might even wheelie the board. This power also helps with coming out of jibes on foil. Less finesse needed, just sheet in and ride away from every jibe.

The draft stability is the best I’ve experienced. I’ve yet to get backwinded driving high into the wind, or taking on big gusts. The center web panel stays tight all the time, even when riding way, way, beyond normal, sane, power limits. This is particularly amazing, when you consider this wing goes upwind better than anything I’ve ridden, by a good margin. I’m seriously thinking, I don’t need to mess with a car shuttle. I can rocket upwind, then downwind to home. It is a total freak upwind. I might be able to match a kite foiler upwind! Not a race kite foiler, but general kite foilers. A ridiculous thought a year ago.

The handling when wave riding, is flawless. The balance from the nose handle is unbeatable.

When down in the water, wind nuking beyond belief, the wing just sits calmly on the surface. It never tries to whip around and pull your arms out of the socket. Tame behavior all the time.

The long handles give the hand placement freedom of a boom, without the weight of a boom. The handles are nice. Better than I imagined they would be. It feels direct and positive in the hands. Not floppy. Great handles.

Where does the power come from? You sure can’t tell by looking at it. It’s not a deep canopy shape or fat leading edge wing.

I bought every size.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 09:24:05 PM »
My thoughts...

The Ensis has sheet and go power. It gives the wing a powerful feeling, and a easy to get going characteristic. The worse your pumping skill, the more likely you are to think it’s very powerful. The sheet and go power is so good, your first ride, you might even wheelie the board. This power also helps with coming out of jibes on foil. Less finesse needed, just sheet in and ride away from every jibe.

The draft stability is the best I’ve experienced. I’ve yet to get backwinded driving high into the wind, or taking on big gusts. The center web panel stays tight all the time, even when riding way, way, beyond normal, sane, power limits. This is particularly amazing, when you consider this wing goes upwind better than anything I’ve ridden, by a good margin. I’m seriously thinking, I don’t need to mess with a car shuttle. I can rocket upwind, then downwind to home. It is a total freak upwind. I might be able to match a kite foiler upwind! Not a race kite foiler, but general kite foilers. A ridiculous thought a year ago.

The handling when wave riding, is flawless. The balance from the nose handle is unbeatable.

When down in the water, wind nuking beyond belief, the wing just sits calmly on the surface. It never tries to whip around and pull your arms out of the socket. Tame behavior all the time.

The long handles give the hand placement freedom of a boom, without the weight of a boom. The handles are nice. Better than I imagined they would be. It feels direct and positive in the hands. Not floppy. Great handles.

Where does the power come from? You sure can’t tell by looking at it. It’s not a deep canopy shape or fat leading edge wing.

I bought every size.

Wow!  That's some endorsement.  So, would the 6 metre Ennis have the same power as the 7 metre Echo?

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 11:52:41 PM »
The wing part looks great. The backs of my knuckles started bleeding though just looking at those handles, way too close to the strut. Looks like a relatively easy short boom mod.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 02:52:23 AM »
The wing part looks great. The backs of my knuckles started bleeding though just looking at those handles, way too close to the strut. Looks like a relatively easy short boom mod.

My knuckles never touched

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 03:02:36 AM »
Wow!  That's some endorsement.  So, would the 6 metre Ensis have the same power as the 7 metre Echo?

My buddy, who owns a 7m Echo, thinks the 5.2m Ensis has the low end of his 7m. I think that’s an exaggeration though. I think his thoughts are skewed a bit, by how easy sheet and go power works, for someone less skilled at pumping onto foil.

It’s probably fair to claim the Echo 7m and 6m Ensis will have similar low end, although I have yet to ride my 6m Ensis. Been riding the 5.2m in 12-25 mph wind.

FYI the Axis guys are the US distributor. You can buy from any shop selling Axis.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 03:05:05 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 03:02:49 AM »
How's the weight Dwight?  These do look so good.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 03:04:46 AM »

I have not put one on a scale. The 5.2 I have, is probably still wet.

Nick (FLkiter might know) he’s riding Ensis too.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 03:06:56 AM »
I love it that they did a 2.5.  2.5 to 3.5 is a big jump, though.  Probably can live with that though. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 03:09:30 AM »

Thinking about handling and power.

It is so good, it begs the question, is dihedral bad? Because the Ensis has less than any wing I’ve ridden and it handles the best, and has more power.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2020, 04:38:47 AM »
I second everything Dwight says. I absolutely love my 6/4.5/3.5 and there isn’t a thing I would change about them. Will get the 2.5 soon too. My 6 is powerful but also very controllable and the fraught doesn’t move even when over powered. The handles work brilliantly, much better than the Naish and F one.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal