Author Topic: What size board for jumping  (Read 3897 times)

WingSurfPeterT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What size board for jumping
« on: July 27, 2021, 04:39:34 AM »
Starting to get a bit more into jumping and my +10 L (107 L FSM for a 220lb rider) feels big in the air, but will still be the board I need to ride 80% of the time in the summer as our wind dies sometimes and need to schlog in. Reminds me a of jumping oversized windsurfing boards back in the day

For jumping on windy days what is a good size that is still relatively easy to get going, but a little more controllable in the air, -10 L, -20 L, -30L ? or all the way down to prone foil surf boards in the 50-60 L range

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
Re: What size board for jumping
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 06:39:32 AM »
I'm no air expert, but my 60L (-5L) felt great in the air last session.  First time jumping it.  Had jumped my +15L FSM a few times prior, and that felt pretty good as well, just couldn't get my straps set up how I wanted, so didn't pursue jumping much. 

The -5L at 4'11" still had some surface area for a good bounce off the water if not staying on foil through the landing. 

I've heard feedback from pro riders that if you go too short or small on a prone board, like a 4' size, it can be overly easy to stuff the nose on a landing.  So I think you need to find a balance in that 4'3" to 5' size and find a good volume for your weight depending on the wind strength and start style preference. 

I'm going to be trying a 4' 27L board here soon.  We'll see if that is too short. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 07:48:15 AM »
I find length is more important than liters. If I'm on a 4' board then I usually stuff the landing so I have to land more precise. As I get closer to 5' I'll bounce off the water and keep going. A wider, more liter board will help for learning spin tricks since you'll get that extra swing weight and you'll be more stable in the landings while waiting to get the wing around or powered up again. You want to learn to land nose down so you don't break stuff.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 08:01:58 AM »
  You want to learn to land nose down so you don't break stuff.
[/quote]

FLkiter, can you elaborate on your nose down landing please? I could see this with really large foils but I have been jumping on 1200-1500cm foils and have decided that landing tail first works best for me. I have tried scooping the foil in nose first but it usually pearls the board. I am on an 80L(-4L). I heard Tituan say that he lands tail first on the Blueplanet podcast. How is everyone else landing? Thanks

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »
I'm usually in bigger foils being in South Florida. 1500 and up. Depending on the trick. I find if I land tail first, I'll fall off the back of the board. Land flat and you load the foil and it throws me off the board. So going for back side 360 or flakka I like to get the nose high in the jump then dive it into the water on the landing to stabilize the board long enough to get power in the wing again. Also my boards are designed to go under water and keep going forward. Most boards in the market will stall if you nose them down too much.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 02:42:13 AM »
https://youtu.be/2s7xN8enzfo

He seems to land nose,tail or flat without any problems.And he is going pretty high.ⁿ

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 05:25:33 AM »
It sounds to me like you are asking how small you can go and still comfortably knee start.  I am seeing intermediate skilled, middle aged people using -15 to -20 boards.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal