Author Topic: First Foil Setup Thoughts  (Read 9184 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First Foil Setup Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2020, 03:52:08 AM »
That’s exactly how I got into foiling - deal was just too awesome to pass. Here are my thoughts - I am about your size 170lbs and paddle on 6.5 JL Flying V. For me this board is very stable - if I were to buy the board today I would likely go with 5.11, but I do live on the Florida gulf coast so our waves are mostly wind chop and slop. We rarely have glassy conditions, most of the days it is super crappy chop and slop so more volume is a good thing here. I have Iwa, M200, M280 with 24 mast. Yes mast is flexy with the m280 on it. With m200 wing I almost don’t feel the flex and when you are flying there is no flex at all. I will definitely get 29 mast down the road but it might be a problem where I live - too shallow so 24 is nice in that regard. My favorite go to wing has been m200 - it seems to fly really well on the gulf waves. I have tried Iwa and it loves more push and faster wave which I think is going to be great for Atlantic. Here though, Iwa just outruns the waves where as M200 seems to be in perfect sync. So I say go for it! I am glad I did, I haven’t really touched a Sup since august or so, maybe just a few times. Foiling is so much fun, especially when everyone is struggling around trying to find a wave and you fly on a little tiny unsurfable bump.

This sounds good, I think I am actually going to bump up to the 6'5"/M200 mix.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2020, 05:03:49 AM »
It took long enough, but I'm moving forward with foil SUP - 6'5" Flying-V, talked to a few people locally, and they said while I could probably get away with paddling the 5'11", you obviously want balance and paddling to be second nature dealing with the foil, so I went with a bit more length.

Next up is grabbing a GoFoil fuselage, a friend of mine is giving me a Maliko 200 has he's on prone and doesn't use it that often. I'll report back hopefully with some video once I get started. I'm somewhat hopeful as kite foiling came really easily to me, so understanding how to work the foil is pretty much second nature. Although, with the kite it obviously is very easy to control power, and you have less volume in the board to deal with.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 09:00:10 AM »
Hey APPST,
Have I got the perfect Go Foil V1.5 mast package for you, I was just about to list it.
PM me if you're interested.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 03:14:50 AM »
6'5" JL Flying-V on it's way, GL Maliko 200 setup, kid on Christmas, now I just need decent access to the beach. Right now, the beach 5 minutes away from me has a 24/7 checkpoint on all non-residents of that small beach. The other beaches 35 minutes from me have a 7-7 checkpoint, which does provide a window to surf before or kite after, so I guess it will work for now.

Any videos other Blue Zone SUP tutorials or anything else anyone found extremely useful?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 06:44:48 PM »
Probably going out on my first session in the AM, should be a little knee to waist high bump, going to an inlet where the waves basically don't break, 6'5" JL Flying-V, GL Maliko 200 foil, 24" mast. I've watched videos, etc. pretty confident on a foil on a kite, pretty much riding strapless no issues, it's second nature. So I at least know the feeling of the foil, and how to control it initially. I'm guessing this thing is going to have a ton of lift.

Any suggestions for that first session? I know wave selection is key, and I will be picky, trust there won't be anything with any steepness. The one thing I forgot was a coiled leash, I have a coiled calf leash that's 10' for my longboard, should I use that or just go with a standard 7' ankle leash?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal