Author Topic: Heart damage and Covid-19  (Read 1765 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Heart damage and Covid-19
« on: May 05, 2020, 10:58:05 AM »
There are some concerning occurrences of heart damage leading to death from Covid-19 among otherwise healthy younger people.  We have had two sudden, fatal heart attacks in the last two days in our friend group.  Both are waiting for Covid-19 tests and autopsies.  One is a 38 year old soccer player, the other a 56 year old triathlete.  Neither was aware of any previous heart issues or medical issues.  This could be just a tragic coincidence but when it hits very close to home it sure does make you think.  These two tragedies have me thinking of what we are going to learn about this disease going forward. 

https://khn.org/news/mysterious-heart-damage-not-just-lung-troubles-befalling-covid-19-patients/
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2020/04/covid-19s-consequences-for-the-heart/

Topwater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Heart damage and Covid-19
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 12:54:43 PM »
Yep, I was in the "wanting to get infected and get it over with" before the news of permanent heart and lung damage started getting mentioned. 

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 04:03:40 PM »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 07:12:40 AM »
Ya, TW... be careful what you wish for.  I have kind of a Trog mind—F'it, bring it on—But! ..maybe not this time.   I made the mistake of getting the Pneumonia shot.  Pneumonia is called 'the old man's friend'.  I gather it provides a more pleasant exit vs. most CAs, strokes, etc.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 07:28:00 AM »
I'm on the other side of that equation, had a very bad failing heart. Went into the hospital beginning of December before Covid was a thought... then it happened.

I got a heart transplant on March 17th, the last one done in that hospital til now, was discharged in 7 days, usually 2 to 4 weeks, because the hospital doctor/staff said I'd be safer at home.  It was getting very busy and rough in the hospital at that time, not enough mask or gloves to go around, staff very woried about what would happen.
For a transplant patient the suppress your immune system to help prevent rejection and infection, plus lots of pills. So now I have barricaded myself in my house and don't leave... many complain because they don't believe or want to wear a mask when outside, for me its a life or possible death decision. Sent home to dodge and perhaps fight the Covid-19 virus with no immune system.

I wear a mask, and will have to for a year, when going outside to help prevent me from getting sick, the public is asked to wear a mask out of consideration for others to help prevent you from getting me sick.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 04:33:18 PM »
I'm on the other side of that equation, had a very bad failing heart. Went into the hospital beginning of December before Covid was a thought... then it happened.

I got a heart transplant on March 17th, the last one done in that hospital til now, was discharged in 7 days, usually 2 to 4 weeks, because the hospital doctor/staff said I'd be safer at home.  It was getting very busy and rough in the hospital at that time, not enough mask or gloves to go around, staff very woried about what would happen.
For a transplant patient the suppress your immune system to help prevent rejection and infection, plus lots of pills. So now I have barricaded myself in my house and don't leave... many complain because they don't believe or want to wear a mask when outside, for me its a life or possible death decision. Sent home to dodge and perhaps fight the Covid-19 virus with no immune system.

I wear a mask, and will have to for a year, when going outside to help prevent me from getting sick, the public is asked to wear a mask out of consideration for others to help prevent you from getting me sick.

Hey Krash. Best of luck on your recovery. I hope it goes well for you.

There are some who feel being asked to wear a mask is somehow an infringement on their rights. I hope they read your story and take the time to reconsider.

And just to show how far it can go, there are now three family members charged with murdering a dollar store security guard in Michigan, because the security guard told a family member they needed to wear a mask while in the store. I'm not often at a loss for words, but on this one I am. Simply beyond comprehension.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/michigan-security-guard-mask-killing-trnd/index.html

Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal