Author Topic: Slingshot V2  (Read 13129 times)

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Slingshot V2
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2020, 08:49:37 AM »
What do you think is the upper windlimit for a 5.4 for a 90kg / 200lbs rider?

Occasional gusts to 25 or a little higher will be fine at 90Kg. Big difference for a downwinding vs pointing upwind.
18 is probably the perfect breeze for that wing and weight but if there's steady wind anywhere, I've not found it yet.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
What do you think is the upper windlimit for a 5.4 for a 90kg / 200lbs rider?
I'm looking for an alternative for high wind windsurfing in choppy water, when there's no wave to shred. This feels boring fast.
But doing downwinders in these conditions with my Supfoil could spice if up.
I'm just not sure if the 5.4 is too big for 15 - 30 knots, or could cover such a range at all.
The 5ish wings seem to be the recommendation for a one wing quiver for 90 kg guys.
Alex

That’s a question there is no answer for. There is no limit, if flying with it over your head, letting it flap so bad, the canopy is aging by the minute, and you don’t mind controlling the foil with the wing buffeting you around. People do this everyday when they only own one size.

True^^  I use my 6M a lot when the wind is actually too strong because I'm lazy and don't want to pump like a maniac to get up on the foil. It winds up parked over my head a lot, but not flapping. The fake boom lets me trim the wing even in the parked position so I'm not getting an insane amount of pull. IMHO the biggest benefit of wings over sails is that you can depower it easily and still use it as a balance support and for whatever little bit of power you need.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2020, 11:51:28 AM »
Slingwing v2 Review: I have had 3 sessions on my new 5.4m Slingwing v2. I LOVE it. My first wing was a 4m Cabrinha Crosswing. I am an advanced beginner winger (can foil both directions, get way up wind and return to where I launched. I have had about a dozen good sessions and as many really bad ones before that, usually when not powered up enough). I love the wingtips as I have dipped them and run over wing much LESS frequently than on my 4m. The 4 rear handles are brilliant (I am pretty sure 4 rear handles- definitely not 3 like all the pictures show. I will update if this is wrong). I have used them all and use multiple handles on every reach. I often use a more “aft” (more power) handle to get up and easily change to more forward handles when riding. The wing just floats effortlessly during handle changes and wing transitions (and I suspect during drifting while riding waves). The multiple handles also gives this kite a huge wind range and comfort factor. The wing pumps well, which is also aided by the chopped wingtips. The inflation system and dump valve is great. Oh, the Y handles are wonderful (I didn’t have those before). I am using them more on my port tack (my strong side). I like the ergonomics and control and I think they allow for more power (not sure?). I haven’t used the transfer handle much but will try to figure out what it is good for. The wing is light and the fabric sheds water like I don’t remember on my 4m. Getting wing back in bag is a bit of a Houdini act…. but I think I figured it out after having one bad fail. I like the harness line connection points but am still struggling with interference between wing leash, harness line and hook. I don’t know the best placement of all of these hookups (I am just using a webbing belt as the harness). This wing has already allowed me to progress due to its size and excellent design and performance. All in all, I love this wing!! I am planning to get a Slingwing v2 in 4m or a 4.4m (can’t decide: I kite 20-25mph winds regularly and have 2000cm^2 foil and big board). I couldn’t be happier with the Slingwing v.2.

Thanks for posting this.  I have been waiting to hear something about this wing besides the commercials.

ceej

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2020, 12:29:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on this new wing, I have a 6.4 v2 slingwing on order but have been on the fence between sizes... I am 190lbs and have a slingshot infinity 84 2000cm2. Do you have an idea what the low end usable wind range for the 5.4 is? I'm a life long surfer and have spent time sailing lasers but never done any wind board sports. I'd like to have something easy enough to learn with but versatile enough to just own one wing. I'll be using it mainly in the Chesapeake Bay and on the east coast. Say 10-25ish knot range.  Any feedback is appreciated.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »
190# and 10-25 is 6M gold.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2020, 02:16:04 AM »
That’s a question there is no answer for. There is no limit, if flying with it over your head, letting it flap so bad, the canopy is aging by the minute, and you don’t mind controlling the foil with the wing buffeting you around. People do this everyday when they only own one size.

Ok, maybe I ask too much for one size covering a 15 - 30 knots range.
What would you say are the reasonable ranges for a 90 kg rider for the 5.4 and 4.4?
Alex

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2020, 04:17:22 AM »

Ok, maybe I ask too much for one size covering a 15 - 30 knots range.
What would you say are the reasonable ranges for a 90 kg rider for the 5.4 and 4.4?
Alex

5.4 and 4.0 is better quiver. It will hit that range.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
I want to start with a 1 size quiver and would narrow the range to 18 - 28 knots so I thought the 4.4 would be fine for me.

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2020, 09:25:14 PM »
I'm open to/would appreciate any feedback anyone has. I've been on the fence about getting into Winging for a bit- but getting close to jumping in.  I'm caught in the exact same conundrum as Beasho. I'd pretty much decided on a Naish s25 6.0... did more homework and am now luffing badly- dead in a sea of information.  The good news is it looks like w/ advances, I'll likely be fine whatever direction I go.

I'm about 195 lbs, have a 6-0 x 28, 110L SUP. My biggest foil-wing is an axis 1000. I'm in SoCal so local conditions are mostly 10-15 kts. often less, occasionally better. I know a 1020 would be ideal but budget doesn't allow both a foil-wing and wind-wing. I oscillate / have hovered over the buy button on the following makes- Naish s25, Ozone Wasp, Slingshot V2 and size:  5.0ish or 6.0ish

My take on what I read about wings I'm considering +/- s :

Ozone Wasp:

Get the 6.0 to learn on and then sell it to me when you move down.  Its what I need for our low wind conditions but I don't want to spend the money right now.    8)
+:   Light, super solid,large leading edge/boom, heaps of low end grunt to get up easy. Y handles. Proven wing w/ heaps of riders/credible endorsements
- : More sensitive to gusts, upwind not as good as s25 , 6.0 difficult in surf/catch wingtips, No window/safety?

Slingshot V2:
+: Light, super solid,large leading edge/boom, heaps of low end grunt to get up easy. Y handles.  Maybe less cumbersome in turns/surf w/ cutoff/narrow wingspan?
- : More sensitive to gusts, upwind not as good as s25. Brand new- good online reviews but not too many people on them, no window/safety?

Naish s25:
+ : Smooth easy power, handling, handles gusts well, window. smaller leading edge- great upwind. Proven wing w/ heaps of riders/credible endorsements
- : Less feel/grunt low end/harder for newbie to get on foil low wind, no Y handle. Window maintenance/storage.

I'm all over the map as to wing make. Naish s25 don't seem to be available until the end of the month.

Size:
My intended use is downwind and surf. I'm certain a 5.0 would be enough, preferred long term, but suspect the 6.0 would make learning in my local conditions, on an axis 1000 easier/more realistic.  Is Slingshot 5.4 a good compromise?

Leaning toward 6.0

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 09:40:17 AM »
I'm open to/would appreciate any feedback anyone has. I've been on the fence about getting into Winging for a bit- but getting close to jumping in.  I'm caught in the exact same conundrum as Beasho. I'd pretty much decided on a Naish s25 6.0... did more homework and am now luffing badly- dead in a sea of information.  The good news is it looks like w/ advances, I'll likely be fine whatever direction I go.

I'm about 195 lbs, have a 6-0 x 28, 110L SUP. My biggest foil-wing is an axis 1000. I'm in SoCal so local conditions are mostly 10-15 kts. often less, occasionally better. I know a 1020 would be ideal but budget doesn't allow both a foil-wing and wind-wing. I oscillate / have hovered over the buy button on the following makes- Naish s25, Ozone Wasp, Slingshot V2 and size:  5.0ish or 6.0ish

Leaning toward 6.0

For your wind conditions, if going with the Slingwing v2, I would recommend the 6.4m, not the 5.4m. I have the Slingwing 5.4m and love it but use it in 18-24mph (185lbs, 2000 cm^2 foil, 120L board). I think in large sizes (such as 5.4 and 6.4m) that the squared wingtips of the v2 is terrific. I never have trouble burying and running over my wingtips with v2 (though I did on my Cabrinha 4m).
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »
After a year of drooling and a month of waiting my Slingshot V2 6.4 meter showed up.

2nd session on the wing-foil.  Left my straps on the boards.  Can now successfully pump up on my strong (Goofy foot sailing Starboard) side.  Did one or two gybes NOT FOILING JUST not falling off. 

DW suggested I dump it and go for the Duotone 6.0.  Big Winds said that would take another month+ so I took the order.  Glad I did.

It is light and powerful.  And I barely know what I am doing. 

Winds were 12 to 18.  Gusting to 25.  I weight 190.  It worked.  When the average dropped to ~12 mph it was too light.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:15:06 PM by Beasho »

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
After a year of drooling and a month of waiting my Slingshot V2 6.4 meter showed up.

2nd session on the wing-foil.  Left my straps on the boards.  Can now successfully pump up on my strong (Goofy foot sailing Starboard) side.  Did one or two gybes NOT FOILING JUST not falling off. 

DW suggested I dump it and go for the Duotone 6.0.  Big Winds said that would take another month+ so I took the order.  Glad I did.

It is light and powerful.  And I barely know what I am doing. 

Winds were 12 to 18.  Gusting to 25.  I weight 190.  It worked.  When the average dropped to ~12 mph it was too light.

Welcome to the Winging Club!
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM