Author Topic: Wing foiling tips - I made a video...  (Read 4739 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wing foiling tips - I made a video...
« on: May 01, 2020, 11:29:44 PM »
Locked down and not allowed on the water so decided to make a video of all the winging tips I would have given myself on day one. I'm not an expert, but thought that if everyone on here made a video like this what a great resource it would be.

Just me talking in my back garden with my kit to demonstrate - I don't have any footage of me actually foiling and couldn't get any due lockdown.
Long, but hopefully worth your time... Let me know if not!

https://youtu.be/mVCiPKtLDNY
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Wing foiling tips - I made a video...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 03:29:43 AM »
Well done.

When I crash, I try to use the wing as a parachute and always fall backwards, pulling the wing over my head on top of me. This way I know the wing stays clear of the foil.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 12:01:55 PM »
Excellent...  I got through the first half before getting distracted.  My only 'Oooo-not me' was the way you carried the board. I have lost about 1-2" due to collapsed disks, etc... and that looked like a trip to the ER. 

The pumping thing is a pain. I bought an extra pump with a guage but my eyesight with contacts cannot see the pointer very claearly and it stops as soon as I stop a stroke...  This was the best explanation beyond the old 'plink-plink' test I used with kites.   Courtesy of Patrice Guénolé at GONG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16YoK0M-L0I&feature=emb_logo

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »
Jim, go electric. Save your back and your eye sight.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »
Thank you Solent Foiler for this  great video!
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 03:02:37 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to watch guys! Wasn't sure if anyone would be bothered given how long it ended up being. If one tip helps one person I'd be happy.

DW - the crashing tip was bit of a last minute entry. The only time I've damaged a wing was not letting go during a crash. Foil damage hasn't been a concern really (maybe I'm not trying hard enough!) as it's nearly always underwater and I've never been run over by my own board. Perhaps I could have expanded it - I let go if I'm in any doubt whether my fall might be awkward for the wing, otherwise I hold on (similar to you) , but that's after experiencing lots of crashes!

As these were tips I'd have given myself day one, I thought letting go was better than trying to be too cute about it but the feedback is valid - thanks.

Jim - I guess that board carry option would be awkward with back issues. It's the only way I figured out to get it all in the water without dragging anything.

I had seen that Gong vid, quite a new one! Perhaps the only one I've seen which gives specific advice on the issue, so massive kudos to them and a good one to highlight. Pressure makes a massive difference but the only time I've seen it mentioned at all is on these boards.

I've got some Gong Pulses (and a Superpower) coming soon and was thinking of doing a video comparison to my current Plus wings. Gong do a great job at communicating how their lineups compare to each other, but nothing like some on the water feedback to validate that.

I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 04:40:47 PM »
Having a handle on the bottom of the board makes carrying it all together so much easier.

chillaw01

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 01:53:12 AM »
Locked down and not allowed on the water so decided to make a video of all the winging tips I would have given myself on day one. I'm not an expert, but thought that if everyone on here made a video like this what a great resource it would be.

Just me talking in my back garden with my kit to demonstrate - I don't have any footage of me actually foiling and couldn't get any due lockdown.
Long, but hopefully worth your time... Let me know if not!

https://youtu.be/mVCiPKtLDNYñ

Saw your video yesterday on youtube . Nice tips will try to put it to practise.🤙🏼

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 06:49:51 AM »
Thx for the video man. It’s hard to put yourself out there to help. Well done.

I’m curious about the Gong wings for sure. Maybe start a comparison thread if you want, on here. And then use the feedback to inform your video with input from other Gong owners and those who’ve ridden them.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
Great video!  Lots of good tips for beginners. 

Here's my take on carrying the kit to and from the water if you don't have a handle on the underside of the board. 

Starting with the board laying upside down to the upwind side, I stand right beside the upside down foil wing and squat down and pick up the wing with an open hand  in the center of the wing (think like a waiter holding a trey full of beers) and sort of straight arm it over my head, locking my elbow out straight.  The rail of the board will balance against your side on the upwind side.  Your free hand should be downwind, holding the wing.  This works great getting out in minor shorebreak until you are around waist deep in the water.

This only works if you have lighter kit or have good shoulder strength.  I can do it w/ my 100L FSM and 2400 Armstrong for example, but it is a lot easier going into the water fresh compared to leaving the water after a long session  ;D
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 06:12:14 AM »
Thx for the video man. It’s hard to put yourself out there to help. Well done.

I’m curious about the Gong wings for sure. Maybe start a comparison thread if you want, on here. And then use the feedback to inform your video with input from other Gong owners and those who’ve ridden them.

Thanks Cowboy - yeah putting yourself out there isn't something that had crossed my mind until my finger was hovering over the upload button! Must admit I did pause for a second to double check I was happy about it. The feedback has been really positive though, and totally stoked (no other word for it!) that it's hopefully helped some people out especially as winging has been a totally solitary activity for me so far.

Heard from Gong yesterday - all the parts of my order have arrived from China, it's all packed, it's just the delivery that's the issue - covid related capacity reductions in the system... Along with the wings, there is a 5'6 Flint coming as well but as I can only really compare to my Naish Crossover might not be worth a video if there isn't anything interesting to say.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 06:31:49 AM »
Great video, I can't wait to try a couple of your tips. I plain on watching this video a few more times a lot of good info.

Thanks for your effort
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 06:36:47 AM »
Great video!  Lots of good tips for beginners. 

Here's my take on carrying the kit...

Thanks!

Nice - yes, can totally see that working. I don't have to deal with shorebreak, but I kinda wish I did as it would mean I'd have some waves to play with! The local issue for me is a big fence which I have to walk behind when I get out of the water which totally blocks the wind. Really nice to escape behind and means the wing doesn't blow away, but also means I can't use the wind to help carry the wing when I've got the board as well.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 09:26:20 AM »
Great video, I can't wait to try a couple of your tips. I plain on watching this video a few more times a lot of good info.

Thanks for your effort

Thanks Fishman - I've put the time stamps for each chapter in the description underneath the video if you open in YouTube to save you some time if there's a particular thing you want to see again.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 10:14:22 AM »
Great video Solent Foiler. Really nice of you to take that time to help others.   I think every beginner could benefit from your suggestions.  I know when I was starting out and browsing youtube, a lot of "instructional " videos were too vague or too advanced and not real world conditions.  Your video is easy to follow and understand and packed with good suggestions.

I particularly like and agree with your wing pumping and gybing tips.  I think it was Zone member FLkiter who said to pull back hand toward hip when pumping.  That was one of the best suggestions and descriptions anyone told me...

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal