Author Topic: The Maldives dream trip that never ends..  (Read 4370 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Maldives dream trip that never ends..
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 06:45:29 AM »
My first thought is WOOHOOO but the first sentence into the story and the first one in the last paragraph pretty much says it all. Unless of course the resort let's you stay there under the state of emergency called out, either free or at a ridiculously discounted rate per the government(you know, like the stimulus check😜). Then there's the thought of everyone dropping like flies on an island that would turn it into more of The Island Of Dr. Moreau (well, sorta) rather than Gilligan's Island.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:41:25 AM »
Wow, that’s pretty crazy. I had read that New York Times article re the young couple that was stuck in the Maldives on their honeymoon, but that was a while ago. Didn’t realize people were still down their unable to get home.

As an aside, my wife and I have a trip booked for the Maldives next February / March. Have no idea if we will be going or not. Keeping our fingers crossed, but not overly hopeful at this time. Luckily, we have only invested a small deposit. Full payment due in December.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
Wow, that’s pretty crazy. I had read that New York Times article re the young couple that was stuck in the Maldives on their honeymoon, but that was a while ago. Didn’t realize people were still down their unable to get home.

As an aside, my wife and I have a trip booked for the Maldives next February / March. Have no idea if we will be going or not. Keeping our fingers crossed, but not overly hopeful at this time. Luckily, we have only invested a small deposit. Full payment due in December.

I wasnt so lucky.  Was Paid in full (via wire not CC) for a trip that was supposed to happen in 30 days in the Maldives.  Boat company is trying to work with everyone- but no date yet set for the make up trip- but they were clear. no refunds.

Good news airfare was fully refundable.  Still hoping to go one day- was a trip 3 years in the making.......

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 09:33:11 AM »
Sorry to hear that NorthJerz. Hopefully they make good at some point.
It's not overhead to me!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 09:36:31 AM »
I signed up for my 3rd Moon Tours Maldives SUP trip a year ago.
I should be packing now, the trip was to start May 14. Ofcourse it's canceled and rescheduled for next year. They have fully booked trips all summer and into the fall. They are canceling them on a month by month basis. 

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 10:41:10 AM »
I wasnt so lucky.  Was Paid in full (via wire not CC) for a trip that was supposed to happen in 30 days in the Maldives.  Boat company is trying to work with everyone- but no date yet set for the make up trip- but they were clear. no refunds.

Good news airfare was fully refundable.  Still hoping to go one day- was a trip 3 years in the making.......

Yeah, that sucks. Really hope you either get your money back or get to go on your trip at a later date.

We have cancelled two trips this year. We were supposed to go on a snorkeling trip to a very remote spot in Indonesia and canceled at the last minute in February. This one was two years in the making and while it was a difficult decision, we are glad now we canceled. We did get some money back, and are still waiting for a refund on our airline tickets, which we are supposed to get. Still waiting though.

As well, we are supposed to be in Italy right now on a group tour. We were to leave on April 22nd. Trip was cancelled and fortunately we didn’t lose anything on this one.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 12:42:22 PM »
I have tickets to Steely Dan at the Hollywood Bowl early June. I was taking my 17 year old son to his first big concert. Don't think that's happening. Waiting to see what Ticket Master does refund wise? Two tickets, $700.
It's not overhead to me!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 01:34:38 PM »
I have tickets to Steely Dan at the Hollywood Bowl early June. I was taking my 17 year old son to his first big concert. Don't think that's happening. Waiting to see what Ticket Master does refund wise? Two tickets, $700.
Not a bad first concert to hit. Especially at the bowl👍.

You in L.A. or flying in?
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 03:33:41 PM »
It's an hour and a half drive to the bowl from our house. I raised a Jazz fan. He was listening to Return to Forever in his car yesterday. Has it cranked.
It's not overhead to me!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 04:15:19 PM »
Nice! Once upon a time while waiting to go see a Sammy Hagar concert at Universal Amphitheatre, I was having mid day drinks at a Blues House just across the way. It was a cool looking place that had 3 levels going straight up above the stage. No band present that early but there was great blues sounds flowing through the place while I was doing Tequila and Corona shots. Each order was one of each. I was on stage level just admiring the hell out the place. I was shooting the shit with the waitress and she was filling my ear about the cool digs. No sooner after I tell her how much I'd love to meet the cat who the place was named after, he comes walking around the corner and introduces himself. I completely lost the ability to speak and he gave a hearty chuckle due to that......
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »
The owner was none other than B.B.KING👍

After THAT I wobbled over to see Sammy!😜
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 01:23:06 AM »
Van Halen and Sammy together are one of my favorite rock bands. Never saw them live. Saw U2 'Joshua Tree' tour concert at the LA Coliseum was one of my all time favorites and the Pretenders opened for them.  8)
It's not overhead to me!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 06:24:09 AM »
Nice.
Van Halen was my first concert in 1981 at the Coliseum. Still have the shirt. Was deaf for over a week.

My friends and I were just finishing a surf set one morning and got a call from another friend who was a roadie for Ratt, he says that U2 is going to be playing on a rooftop in downtown. So we bolted from my buddy's beach house to that.

The Roadie for Ratt(Johnny) is in their video for "I want a woman" right @ :13 and gives a thumbs up https://youtu.be/RLS_W_2eyzY
Because of him, we hung out with them in his garage whenever they flew into town. Chicks galore and loads of fun. 😜

The 80's were a blast for my friends and I. Mainly due to hanging out with so many of the bands of that era. Had a lot of friends in the industry.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:26:35 AM by Windwarrior »
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 11:35:33 AM »
Nice.
Van Halen was my first concert in 1981 at the Coliseum. Still have the shirt. Was deaf for over a week.
Brings back memories.

Saw Van Halen in 1978 when they were one of the intro bands for the headliner Boston? Sammy Hagar opened, VH "parachuted" in, was followed by Black Sabbath, and we left before Boston came onto the stage. Boston "headlining" after those three...wtf?  :o :-X

PS. "KMET" bring back any memories for any of you other SoCal folks?  :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal