Author Topic: Some good news  (Read 5589 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Some good news
« on: April 28, 2020, 05:16:34 AM »
https://mynorthwest.com/1840311/gov-inslee-announces-partial-reopening-of-outdoor-recreation-on-may-5/

Gov. Inslee announced a partial reopening of outdoor recreation on May 5

Restrictions will ease for day use of state parks, day use of public lands managed by the Department of Natural Resources, and day use of state fish and wildlife areas, including fishing, hunting and the ability to play golf. Inslee emphasized that social distancing guidelines must be followed and safety measures like masks and hand sanitzer must be used.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Some good news
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 09:36:38 AM »
Someone in my paddle group text thread this morning said that Oregon will follow suit shortly. They didn't elaborate on the source though or post a link, could be wishful thinking so here I am spreading rumours ;)

Did a Drano - White salmon (WA. side) run yesterday using pickups for a socially responsible shuttle. Sure lying in the back of an open bed pickup doing 50+ is probably way more dangerous than the alternative but that's the current tradeoff.

Viento could be right around the corner (or still just eight miles down the highway)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »
Someone in my paddle group text thread this morning said that Oregon will follow suit shortly.

I am down with that.  Viento is wingable right now :).

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 10:23:20 AM »
The beach communities will not be opening on the 5th it appears. So legal surfing may be a ways off.

Not every state park will reopen on May 5. Hoch said they’re working with local jurisdictions to avoid people flocking to places like beach communities. They’re working to determine the best approach and timing for reopening those parks.

The main surf beach in WA is at Westhaven State Park in Westport. I sort of doubt that they will open it even though viral microbiology 101 supports outdoor activity in regard to virus spread. The local surfers are loving the lack of crowds. I have gone surfing anyway at some more hidden spots and got vibed the first day - and had to explain that I was only a couple towns away. I was out Sunday and got told "You shouldn't even be here". I took the high road and just stared at the guy. Westport is in Grays Harbor County which has not had a new case since April 12. The local hospital is laying off because of lack of customers.

The golf thing is hilarious too. You can golf in "two somes" unless you live with the people in your group. So drive to the course with your four co-workers, and then get to the course and split into two somes on different tee times? Or I guess you can lie to the starter and say you all live together? Maybe the starters and the kid running the till for minimum wage and free golf will be deputized to investigate if the groups live together or not? Also, they say you can't ride to the course together, and so if you get pulled over - you have to tell them you are on the way to Wal Mart.

Seriously hope they figure out the beach thing quick. I don't mind scalawagging my own self, but every time I come back from surfing my girls are pissed that they don't get to go too. The weekend we closed everything down in WA my 12 year old got a new 7-2 for her b-day and hasn't been able to use it.

Make paddleboarding great again!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:07:21 AM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 07:39:57 PM »
So basically, nothing in the Gorge. We've been scoring on empty water. I'm not encouraging anyone to come here, it's not easy to get in the water without a lot of local knowledge and a license that says 97031. It doesn't hurt that the air temperature and the water temp were identical today--51F. I need to get Chan a T-shirt, or maybe more effectively a heavy hooded sweatshirt that says "140 or forget it!" which of course means combined water and air temp. But with a little wind (and today was very little) and a big wing, much fun can be had.

I hope all of you are finding ways to have fun. A reversal of the lockdown is in the wind. Use your local knowledge to have your fun where the goofballs aren't congregating.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 09:45:48 AM »
Here are some details:

https://parks.state.wa.us/1181/Parks-opening

Surfing parks are closed. I can find a few places to get wet, just walk more and a little hassle from the locals. The state claims that the reason they are not opening some is because of "staff availability" but really means that the optics of people at beaches are not acceptable to the Karens of the world.

Make paddleboarding great again!

Seafarer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 12:09:48 PM »
FYI, upstream on the the Columbia, the city of Richland owns two parks which cover about 5-6 miles of river front.  The bathrooms are closed, the trash cans are overflowing, but people have been paddling here every nice weather day since the pandemic started.  Same thing with Columbia park in Kennewick. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:23:00 PM by Seafarer »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 04:02:11 PM »
The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers in Washington State re-opens Avery and Roosevelt Parks for day-use only.

Lower Columbia Region Daily News is today reporting that The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Tuesday began easing visitor restrictions at some recreation sites on the Washington side of the Columbia River, the agency announced.
The sites reopening are:
Bonneville Dam: Hamilton Island, Fort Cascades and North Shore recreation areas
The Dalles Dam: North Shore Recreation area and Avery Park
John Day Dam: Railroad Island Park, Rock Creek Park, Roosevelt Park, Sundale Park and Plymouth Park Boat Ramp.
These sites are only open for day use. Camping and overnight use is not permitted at this time. Visitors must comply with all park and vehicle rules and recreate responsibly by following safety guidelines to lessen the spread of COVID-19.
All other Corps-managed recreation sites remain closed at this time.
The Corps closed all recreation locations March 30 to fight the spread of COVID-19 and support the stay-at-home executive orders issued by the Oregon and Washington state governors. Stay-at-home orders and safety requirements remain in place in both states.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
Prepare for every access to look like the 4th of July. It’s like that everyday here in Forida. Could barely get to the water on a friggin Wednesday.

Everyone out of school permanently. It is nuts.

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 08:26:03 PM »
Prepare for every access to look like the 4th of July. It’s like that everyday here in Forida. Could barely get to the water on a friggin Wednesday.

Everyone out of school permanently. It is nuts.

Yeah I 2nd that! ... I'm also on the FL spacecoast and the number of out-of-state people here taking their Covid vacation is F'd-Up. Thought everybody was supposed to stay home. Nope that's not what's happening. So if you run into me on the beach, or out in the line-up, and I don't smile and say hello, that's why.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 06:37:15 AM »
What is the count there Admin?

In our county, we have 59 lifetime hospitalized. Currently 7 hospitalized.

Our county spans NASA to Cocoa Beach, to Melbourne. Population 601,000
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 06:41:18 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 07:09:12 AM »
Oregon has 2,759 cases and 109 deaths.  Hood River County has 11 cases.  They are worried that if they open the Gorge that the spots would be overun by Portland people.  The Western Gorge is very close to Portland and Hood River is only an hour.  That would be true for a lot of the closer trail oriented parks and likely some of the town parks with amenities.  On the other hand, we have a lot of locations that are great for water sports but are not very enticing for general use.  Those could easily be opened (at least to residents) with no risk.  Even the few locations that are open to us now are only getting a few takers.  I was on my own yesterday (but the conditions did suck).  The spots that just reopened are both further out from Hood River.  One is an extra hour and the other is an hour and a half and neither is really desirable for general use.  The further out location is one of the best wind sport locations in the world though :).  Stoked to have that back on line.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »
Struggling to compare your risk to ours. Orlando is 45 minutes away at 1.9 million people. Portland is same population as our county.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 08:45:43 AM »
Struggling to compare your risk to ours. Orlando is 45 minutes away at 1.9 million people. Portland is same population as our county.

What is the status for you guys?  All beaches open?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal