Author Topic: Travel to the Gorge this summer?  (Read 2720 times)

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Travel to the Gorge this summer?
« on: April 23, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »
I am wondering about the chances of my annual July trip. What is the level of the lock down in Oregon?

My city was one of the first to lock down but it was never REALLY locked down. Lots of movement, lots of exemptions. Relative freedom. But I know other places have been much more strict.

I am sure things will be more relaxed by then, but just trying to get a feel for how strict Oregon has been.

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Travel to the Gorge this summer?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 07:25:58 PM »
So far its pretty locked down..... but I live in Portland so I'm a valley boy. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 07:45:38 PM »
A simple Google search and you'll see Oregon is one of the stricter states right now, though as a result the CV threats seems to be improving:http://portlandobserver.com/news/2020/apr/20/after-month-lockdown-oregon-leads-nation/

How it will be in July no one has a crystal ball but you might want to be open to it not being like last year. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:47:19 PM by surf4food »

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 08:03:54 PM »
As a Hood River county resident my 'gut' feeling is July looks promising and my gut has been considerably more accurate than Trump's consistently. Oregon or Washington plates on your car would be an advantage but even with those don't take the Mosier exit off I84, even to turn around :o

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 10:40:40 PM »
I would plan on it but have a fallback. Absent some solid breakthrough on a treatment that is effective, meaning patients in distress can be cured, I expect lockdown situations will persist with local easing. It will probably be a while before anyone sits down in a crowded restaurant--except maybe in Las Vegas. I've always thought gamblers were not the sharpest knives in the drawer, but didn't realize that extended to the mayor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 06:32:52 AM »
Thatspec - interesting thoughts on the license plate.

There is something to it as this virus has increased "localism" among nearly everyone. All of the sudden folk think that anyone from a different place is automatic disease vector "Coming here to kill us!". I pay attention to some of the silly Maui News social media and the comments make it sound like a tourist will never be welcome there again.

Surfing a few mornings ago, 4 surfers sharing a break. I am not a local (live there and known in town), but close to local (my rig is known and recognized by some locals). I get a nod from one guy the others just ignore, no hassles or anything. Rotation is clean, waves are not great. Finally one comes up and asks me where I'm from. They relaxed after they found out I was only a couple towns away, but the interaction shows that the media has whipped up some serious "othering" among society.

Make paddleboarding great again!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 07:27:40 AM »
don't take the Mosier exit off I84, even to turn around :o

This feels like a tipping point.  The Closure at Mosier.  It is pretty funny that the Mosier launch has become a point of interest.  On most mid-summer days you can have it to yourself with a crowded day being 6. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:28:22 AM by Admin »

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 10:34:29 AM »
Why would anyone want to sail at Mosier?

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 02:58:44 PM »
Winging, windsurfing, and other stuff, it's a perfectly fine launch. Not so great for launching a kite.

It's a beautiful spot from out on the water and the wind quality is often better than other places in the Gorge (which isn't a high bar). Water conditions... meh.
This situation if nothing else has really highlighted how limited water access from the Oregon side is.

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 08:29:33 AM »
A simple Google search and you'll see Oregon is one of the stricter states right now, though as a result the CV threats seems to be improving:http://portlandobserver.com/news/2020/apr/20/after-month-lockdown-oregon-leads-nation/

How it will be in July no one has a crystal ball but you might want to be open to it not being like last year.

I have learned from going to a few different places that a simple google search doesn't tell you much. Lockdowns and police involvement look very different on the ground from place to place even though the official orders are similar. My city was one of the first to lock down under official order and the wording sounded strict, but it has never been strict in reality. We have unfettered movement. I have not yet spent a full day home and it doesn't feel strange. Other places, surprisingly in Red states, I have found to feel more locked down without an official lockdown order.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:33:38 AM by ericmichaels »

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 08:34:33 AM »

I have learned from going to a few different places that a simple google search doesn't tell you much. Lockdowns and police involvement look very different on the ground from place to place even though the official orders are similar. My city was one of the first to lock down under official order and the wording sounded strict, but it has never been strict in reality. We have unfettered movement. I have not yet spent a full day home and it doesn't feel strange. Other places, surprisingly in Red states, I have found to feel more locked down and police enforcement/encouragement....even without an official lockdown order.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal