Author Topic: Encinitas stay at home protest  (Read 5031 times)

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Encinitas stay at home protest
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 01:22:04 PM »
Hope nobody comes unglued here ... but I did go for a surf on Sat. Was in the water a bit before 8am, and out and back home by 10am. Rest assured no one (or their families) were endangered, and no my conscience isn't bothering me. I'm capable of acting responsibly without needing to be told to, or checked on. And yes I know there are those who won't, but that is always the case (and they will need to be dealt with). Outside of that, I didn't venture away from home during my 3-day weekend (had Fri off), and that was for an outdoor activity that is wisely allowed here when conducted responsibly. Healthy for the body, mind, & soul.
More importantly, it's time to begin the recovery in concert with the ongoing measures (prevention/testing/vaccine), and that means smartly starting to get this country going again now. If our economy goes over the not to distant cliff, it won't be long before the conversation changes. The focus will then be the very large and growing number of individuals (and their families) whose financial viability is threatened, and the negative fall-out that will occur from that. Hell for many people, that point has already arrived.
Yes it's likely to be a difficult transition and there will be casualties, but this too will be for the greater good of the living.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 01:38:57 PM »
Nobody denies the consequences of the shutdown. People are going to be financially ruined.  Many will wind up homeless (I have several friends who are now sleeping in their cars). Others have had to take money out of their kids college fund, and others will now have to give up retirement.  It sucks but it's the hand we have been dealt.  The ONLY way to get things back to normal is to stop or at least significantly get the virus under control. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:26:49 PM by surf4food »

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 02:16:36 PM »
Hi QB - I pretty much agree with you.

The thing about these protests is: They would not happen if the government could manage this response scaled to the individual communities affected. They are the result of overreach into areas that do not need it. The attendees at the WA state protest yesterday were not from the Puget Sound area, they were from areas with little or no impact from C19. The hospitals in 90+% of the country have ample capacity (dying for lack of customers), it is time to open the throttle on social control to see the effects. This (to me) means personal responsibility based on facts provided.

As I stated above, the government by its nature has to regulate in broad strokes, and only the individual has the ability to regulate themselves for their own safety. I have a bad feeling that the broad brush approach is going to lead to an uncontrollable spike in cases when the reins are released. I think throttling the case loads along a minimum and maximum band (based on hospital usage) would be far more effective, not only in getting the virus over with, but in being able to track vectors, instead of calling everything a possible vector. Why hold off completely on the spread of C19 and pile it onto regular flu season? The problem with my approach is that you have to admit that you want cases to spread incrementally and even if it is a fact, our politics make it impossible to implicitly state.

So, surf4food, is the virus out of control? Can a virus even be in control in a country like the USA? I don't think so. The only thing we can control is our response. The virus is like the weather (a natural function) but worse, it is like a hurricane that can wait for you outside the door.

Is homelessness a healthier outcome than the virus? Is working longer a healthier outcome than retirement? Is quality of life ever considered, or just life itself is good enough?
Make paddleboarding great again!

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 12:25:56 AM »
Most of the protesters in Encinitas were not from Encinitas and I doubt most of them were surfers.  Organizers from LA area, Riverside, East County  and El Cajon political groups. Check out their facebook profiles.

Most surfers I know in Encinitas want to get back on the water, but we want to do it safely and in an organized manner.  That probably means not letting Zonies and other virus carriers into our parking lots.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 09:35:04 AM »
Most of the protesters in Encinitas were not from Encinitas and I doubt most of them were surfers.  Organizers from LA area, Riverside, East County  and El Cajon political groups. Check out their facebook profiles.

Most surfers I know in Encinitas want to get back on the water, but we want to do it safely and in an organized manner.  That probably means not letting Zonies and other virus carriers into our parking lots.
Same here in San Clemente. The vast majority were just a bunch of astroturfers looking for a good place to spew their political agendas and hatred, that's completely unrelated to opening our beaches and/or business here in SC. As they say, "Never let a good crisis go to waste". Smh...
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
So, surf4food, is the virus out of control? Can a virus even be in control in a country like the USA? I don't think so. The only thing we can control is our response. The virus is like the weather (a natural function) but worse, it is like a hurricane that can wait for you outside the door.

Is homelessness a healthier outcome than the virus? Is working longer a healthier outcome than retirement? Is quality of life ever considered, or just life itself is good enough?

Those are shitty choices but here we are. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »
I have to admit, this has got me off my butt and I've been studying to take some state and national licensing exams. Not going to change my life kinda stuff, but surfing always dominated my free time.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
Cracks me up these meatheads. "Open the country!!"...by closing its borders. Heck no, these protests ain't political at all. Smh... ::)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 11:38:15 AM »
Austrian economist Ludwig Von Mises observed long ago that restrictions - central planning  - state control have a calculation problem. 

As in what,  if any, restrictions will work?

Do they have to many or not enough, for how long, what places to close and what to stay open?  Do we need soap or hand sanitizer or gloves or nothing?  Masks or no masks?  What kind of masks?  Ventilators, respirators, fresh air, or DNR?  How many of each?  Are they free or who pays?  Where does the money come from?  How much?  Inflation or deflation?   City, county, state, federal, global?  Who's giving the orders?  Who's enforcing?  What are the penalties for disobeying?   Jury, judge, or executioner?

The heavy handed top down approach often causes more problems than it's attempting to solve.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal