Author Topic: my forearms a killing me  (Read 4057 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
my forearms a killing me
« on: April 29, 2020, 02:52:21 PM »
When on foil, my front forearm feels like I am hanging off a bar and I am unable to ride very far due to fatigue.  I am trying to keep it fully extended and fly the wing at about 45 degrees.  Naish 5.3 in 15 mph winds using the third handle from the front (second handle from the back for my other hand).  Is there something I can do differently (besides a harness) or are my arms just weak?  Input greatly appreciated.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: my forearms a killing me
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »
Maybe.. just try relaxing your arms more and hanging more from your fingers instead of having a death grip on the handles. Also is your front arm pretty straight or bent at all the elbow?

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 03:58:55 PM »
Hey Phils, I've got the 5.3, you should be having no issues in that wind with that size.  Maybe your hand positions?  Most Naish riders are using 2 from front, 3 from back for general all round handle positions and sailing directions. If you're using 3 from front that really begins to open up and power up the leading edge/front hand and probably your cause of fatigue on the front arm? I'd move front and back up by 1 handle. The other potential as mentioned is tightly gripping the handle in a clenched fist, when I'm not seriously overpowered I'm lightly holding the handle by finger tips.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:04:35 PM by RobM »
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 04:03:22 PM »
Maybe.. just try relaxing your arms more and hanging more from your fingers instead of having a death grip on the handles. Also is your front arm pretty straight or bent at all the elbow?

elbow is straight

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 04:05:06 PM »
Hey Phils, I've got the 5.3, you should be having no issues in that wind with that size.  Maybe your hand positions?  Most Naish riders are using 2 from front, 3 from back for general all round handle positions and sailing directions. If you're using 3 from front that really begins to open up and power up the leading edge/front hand and probably your cause of fatigue on the front arm? I'd move front and back up by 1 handle. The other potential as mentioned is tightly gripping the handle in a clenched fist, again when I'm not seriously overpowered I'm lightly holding the handle by finger tips.

I think you are exactly right.  I felt like I needed the power to get started but using more forward handles is the right move.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 10:18:25 AM »
With all those handles you probably have an opportunity to tweak and change positions. I use my fake boom all the time. It's a bit of a PITA, so I tried switching to just reinforced handles--stiffened with a carbon batten under the handle--and it was actually painful to me. I got a cramp inside my elbow on my front arm. Swapped back to booms and it's gone. I can also one-hand the wing going upwind or when doing the spinnaker thing to get back to the launch.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfwingsteve

• Waikiki Status
  • Just get me to the sea
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 08:25:12 AM »
So your forearms on the volar or palm side are from gripping and doing mini curls with your wrists, as when grasping the kite handles.  The muscles on the dorsal or top side of your forearm is from lifting your hands up, palm side down, which occurs when you are having to lift the kite up above your head.  depending on where your pain is, flip your grip upside down for a change.  When the top of my forearm is sore, I do a curl up grip vs. a chin up.  As you are learning, pumping the kite repetitively is REALLY hard on your arms, upper back, and more than that, the tendons in your elbows, in my opinion, putting you at risk for tennis or golfers elbow if you are doing too much, too hard, too long.  If you are learning and are having to pump the hell out of the kite and are not getting up on the foil you have 1) too little wind 2) Too small of a kite 3) Too small of a foil, and upsizing your gear to learn or getting in bigger wind minimizes the violence of your pumping and therefore the risk to your tendons.  For the record, I got tennis elbow bilaterally after a weekend of non stop pumping the kite in low wind with a foil too small for my weight and a 4m kite no good for 8-10mph winds.  Oh, and I'm 50 but in good shape.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 11:17:23 AM »
You might try a harness to take some of the strain off your arms, especially going upwind.

In the video below Alan Cadiz explains why and when he uses a harness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO35XekZURE

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 04:16:15 PM »
Try going with the wing more, people tend to try to go so hard up wind in the beginning that it stains your arms. You might make 2 tacks to get to the same spot but you'll save the arms. Slower you foil gives you a better up wind reach also but that being said, a faster foil that has less drag will also reduce pressure on you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal