Author Topic: Carving 360's  (Read 10776 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Carving 360's
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2020, 01:00:04 AM »
Nice, I can see it, I can feel it, now I just need to do it :).

PS: I just noticed that you and Gunnar are going way more downwind before fully initiating than I had envisioned or tried.  That is really different than the windsurfing move.  I am stoked now for more flailing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEhfJ0a_t-Q
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:09:17 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2020, 10:08:17 AM »
Nice, I can see it, I can feel it, now I just need to do it :).

PS: I just noticed that you and Gunnar are going way more downwind before fully initiating than I had envisioned or tried.  That is really different than the windsurfing move.  I am stoked now for more flailing.

That extra downwind time gives you plenty of time pull the clew (back) of the wing through the eye of the wind smoothly with very little force on the wing and steadily build backwind pressure. If the downwind turn was really tight it would get whipped around really fast and likely knock you right off the board. Wings are much happier changing riding direction with the leading edge into the wind😀 Good luck!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2020, 01:45:52 AM »
More tries yesterday in a really smooth afternoon wind, first on 5.0 then on 4.2 (which felt so nice).  These tips made the initiation much nicer.  Still blew a few completely but a few were better and when things were right  I felt like I was getting into a position that could (with a lot of practice) get me there.  Held it backwinded with some speed still on two tries and tried to round the corner.  I think that I am forgetting to carve the board (foil) but honestly it becomes a blur at a point.  Also, not having a boom to push out against is a very weird feeling.  Do people push on the strut itself?  Great trick to practice.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:51:39 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
I winged away from my first 360 today.  So stoked.  We had really nice 4.2 conditions (Chan was on a 3.5) that were perfect for working on skills.  Warm water, warm air, light current and very steady wind.  Pretty ideal.  After a few tester laps I felt how good it was and went back in and switched to the 860 wing.   I wanted to put in a lot of 360 attempts and that wing is so mellow and comfortable.  My first one of the day wasn't bad but the 2nd one was pretty sweet.  I am finding that if I can set it up right (downwind with enough speed then getting the wing back and tip under) I can do alright.  On this one, that happened really nicely and nothing interrupted the carve.  It felt great.  I came up into the wind and I still had some speed but I blew it on overstoke.  I pushed out with my back hand, dropped off the foil and couldn't save it.  Dammit! 

Fast forward 10 more attempts which ranged from OK to complete shite.  Then comes the one.  Really nice patch of wind and very smooth water, nice initiation , good carve, pushed out a little less on my back hand to get myself more upright and dropped off the foil again, but this time I was able to rotate, sheet in and save it.  Loud screaming begins. 

I'm hoping for a consistent stretch of days like this to get this dialed in and to stay airborn.  Here comes August.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:01:09 PM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2020, 03:47:21 PM »
Awesome! One thing that is unique about the 360 is getting to do this really cool fast move without ever having to do the whole release-regrab routine with the wing.  Time to rig the camera or bribe the video assistant ;D

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2020, 01:36:12 AM »
Awesome! One thing that is unique about the 360 is getting to do this really cool fast move without ever having to do the whole release-regrab routine with the wing.  Time to rig the camera or bribe the video assistant ;D

Oh yeah!  not to mention that you don't have to move your feet.  I love that about this sport.  There is a whole group of really cool moves that can be done with no foot movement. 

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2020, 04:44:23 AM »
Congratulations Admin.  Awesome accomplishment.  One of these days, I’ll sit on my board out there with a GoPro.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2020, 09:05:57 AM »
Stopped by the event site yesterday and I saw one 'em Admin, nice solid carve more than 3/4 around. I think for that particular one it was just a matter of pushing the LE through the eye of the wind a hair quicker to get back to power, you were there and still flying ;D

I forgot my phone yesterday, couldn't organize a downwind shuttle and thinking it might die off early launched for the first time at 'cheap beach'. I'd do it again, getting out was not that bad. Hoping for two days off, Friday looks good and windy!

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2020, 10:32:57 AM »
Nice Admin!
I tried my new Echo 4M wing yesterday for the first time.  My friend Jeff shot this blurry video on his phone of a pretty good 360 I pulled off where I rode backwinded for a bit.  I find it easier to pull off when I'm a bit underpowered and can turn through the wind quickly.  I find that dipping the wing tip into the water a bit as I'm turning helps tighten the turn and tips the wing into a good position.

https://youtu.be/g64XPsIjD4A
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:35:26 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2020, 09:02:23 PM »
Nice Admin!
I tried my new Echo 4M wing yesterday for the first time.  My friend Jeff shot this blurry video on his phone of a pretty good 360 I pulled off where I rode backwinded for a bit.  I find it easier to pull off when I'm a bit underpowered and can turn through the wind quickly.  I find that dipping the wing tip into the water a bit as I'm turning helps tighten the turn and tips the wing into a good position.

Nice! Every good 360 has a sweet wing tip drag!  Not close to being the same, but it reminds me of the back roll hand drag down loop we’d do on a kiteboard. (Pretty soon a 360 will be the no brainer winging trick :) )

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:04:10 PM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2020, 01:44:01 AM »
where I rode backwinded for a bit.

That is a sweet one Robert!  You are ready to do those to catch backwinded waves. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal