Author Topic: Carving 360's  (Read 10772 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Carving 360's
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2020, 02:28:12 AM »
Dude, well done! I really want to see one of these from a drone angle. Need to do some YouTube searching.

And yes, you guys update the Gong thread when you get those high aspect wings.

I should mention that actually having steady winds under 20 (instead gusting 30+), nice stable Echo’s and a very glidey W1100 makes a big difference being able to get them done on the foil. I guess having just the right gear does make a difference for us older types needing all the help we can get....

I was thinking the same thing on the drone. I only did the one drone session this spring during lockdown when there was hardly anyone around. This particular drone is way LOUD and intimidating. It’s like I need to have my moves pretty nailed down to make them in the 15 min window with that full throttle chainsaw buzzin right next to me!  Oh, and find an empty location with a good landing zone. Not so easy with the summer crowds in town and wingers/kiters out in force...  Maybe I’ll try my tripod setup with the 360 cam again. (I do have a Skydio 2 on preorder)

Veloce XL finally shipped :). Mentally preparing myself to strap onto a 1.7 cm thick hyper sensitive blade!... :P
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:42:59 AM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2020, 03:11:54 AM »
I hear the Moses whistling. Mine did, on and off.

I sanded everything per this video and it stopped completely. I think my mast was the cause. The trailing edge did not meet this guys specs.

https://youtu.be/6rcCk8bAF10

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2020, 06:35:32 AM »
Hell's yeah! That is the real deal. Very nice. You must have got a lot of them as it was smooth as butter. Also because you seem to be relatively non chalant about it. If it had been me, I would have been claiming it so loud they would heard me all the way to Nags Head. Ha ha!

Unbelievably still waiting for my Naish S25 5.3 and 3.6 wings. I snagged Bill's 2.8 (thanks Bill!) which should get here Monday but imagine won't get the conditions here to really use it as we are in the summer doldrums for wind.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

styleito

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 08:07:03 AM »
https://youtu.be/UXbdZcT_DrI

Cool, I get a cameo in the background.

BTW, I sometimes get the feeling that Dave is too humble.
I would be completely stoked to do a 360 if I stayed upright.
He seems to discount them when he has the slightest touchdown. ;D

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »
 I tried my first 3 360's today.  6.0 Swing.  It was a humble start but a start.

1. Went into it confident, immediately caught my enormous wingtip, that overcommitted me, wrecked into the wing.

2.  Being too careful of my wingtip, I carved around, got to backwinded without enough speed and without the wing back enough.  Blown back on my ass.

3.  Went in faster, wing back more (still not enough), man does a wing feel odd backwinded, back more but too late. Started to come a little back upwind.  Blown back. 

I really had no plan to start this on a 6.0 but the wind was so smooth today that I couldn't help myself.  Looking forward to a mellow 4.2 session.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »

1. Went into it confident, immediately caught my enormous wingtip, that overcommitted me, wrecked into the wing.

2.  Being too careful of my wingtip, I carved around, got to backwinded without enough speed and without the wing back enough.  Blown back on my ass.

3.  Went in faster, wing back more (still not enough), man does a wing feel odd backwinded, back more but too late. Started to come a little back upwind.  Blown back. 

I really had no plan to start this on a 6.0 but the wind was so smooth today that I couldn't help myself.  Looking forward to a mellow 4.2 session.
Sounds like you were almost there. Easier in the lighter winds to learn it. Don't look at the wing, try to look past it and pump the foil if needed to get past the wing. Keep the wing to the rear hip and once you get past the wing, it'll usually turn you automatically. You can also shoot down wind to get away from the push. I usually focus more on keeping the foil under water if I'm in waves or open ocean conditions, that's really the only variable once you learn it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 01:51:11 AM »
Appreciate the tips flkiter.  For back winding when you have the wing back is your front arm a little more extended and braced and then moderating with the back arm?  That is what I think I am seeing and how I am visualizing it. 

My only reference is windsurfing where we have a mastfoot that locks the lower part of the sail.  The free wingtip down there really surprised me when it gets back pressure.  What are you doing with that?

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 07:06:10 AM »
I'm bracing with the front arm like you're thinking but I head down wind dumping off power. As soon as I come up wind then I'm completing the 360. When windsurfering you can edge harder against the sail since it's connected to the board. Plan to just go down wind. You'll find a balance of down wind speed and think of the wing is just assisting the foil. A good way to learn this is come into the turn and go way down wind, pump the foil some to out run the wing.  If the wing is pushing too hard against you, pump to get past the wing or veer down wind some to spill the power but be ready for the speed.
You'll get them really soon. You can actually do the whole 360 without the wing if you have enough speed. The wing is just there to assist the foil.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2020, 07:39:04 AM »
I'd join you in your quest, but i'm still not getting foiling jibes with any consistency. I'd feel stupid to be able to do 360's and not be able to jibe. I need to settle on a technique, I'm still doing it differently every time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2020, 07:44:06 AM »
That helps me a lot FL.  I will try a bunch more today.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »
I'd join you in your quest, but i'm still not getting foiling jibes with any consistency. I'd feel stupid to be able to do 360's and not be able to jibe. I need to settle on a technique, I'm still doing it differently every time.

Bill,

You are foiling through every jibe.  Your consistency is awesome on both port and starboard.  You just haven't committed to riding toeside (because you have developed a remarkably good surface switch-even in crazy conditions) so you are intentionally setting down at the very end.  If you finish your jibe, still flying, at just a little past downwind and don't switch your feet, you will feel toeside.  It is super awkward but ride that way as long as you can hold it.  With some practice you will be able to gradually bring it more and more upwind.  If you do that a bunch you will have toeside in no time.  If you still want to switch your feet you can do it then, after you are already under control on the new tack. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:02:55 AM by Admin »

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2020, 08:08:17 AM »

Bill,

You are foiling through every jibe.  Your consistency is awesome on both port and starboard.  You just haven't committed to riding toeside (because you have developed a remarkably good surface switch-even in crazy conditions) so you are intentionally setting down.  If you finish your jibe, still flying, at just a little past downwind and don't switch your feet, you will feel toeside.  It is super awkward but ride that way as long as you can hold it.  With some practice you will be able to gradually bring it more and more upwind.  If you do that a bunch you will have toeside in no time.  If you still want to switch your feet you can do it then, after you are already under control on the new tack.
I agree with this 100%. Bill is very, very good on the surface. Not an easy thing.  He definitely has the skills to take on whatever foiling move he chooses m
On another note, I was on the water yesterday when Fred Hope was doing some winging 360s.  So graceful.  The kid is good.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:15:04 AM by Phils »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2020, 04:45:50 PM »

That 6m swing does have a huge wing span. The one time I used Andy’s I was constantly catching a tip. Even with my little 4m Echo I’ll briefly drag a wing tip while I’m backwinded.  Here are some slo-mo clips of what seems to work for me with my gear and limited skill. I guess you’d call it an observation of what I do to get around in one piece, and not a how-to.  Like Nick says with enough entry speed and a “glidey” foil you almost don’t need much (if any) backwinded push from the wing. But I kinda like that brief backwinded push. Probably spent 3 months just to get them where I’m not falling constantly. Did I mention how many knee starts I average per session :P

https://youtu.be/rzolxrkazW0

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2020, 11:40:12 PM »
That is a great step by step Dave.  Very helpful.  I was hoping that I might get by without tucking that low wingtip back but I am going to need to commit to it. Such a cool move!

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2020, 12:24:55 AM »
That is a great step by step Dave.  Very helpful.  I was hoping that I might get by without tucking that low wingtip back but I am going to need to commit to it. Such a cool move!
. It is definitely a full commit move. If I hesitate for half a second I’m toast. One of those falls in the video was my standard “hesitation fall”.  At least my from experience the falls aren’t too scary, but then again I’m not up high on a 90+cm mast.....If you try it with one of your smaller Swing’s in more wind maybe the tip issue won’t be as great(?)

Yesterday I had a great session mixing in Some 360’s with other transitions with my 5m Echo and Gong pro XL.  It really is a cool sensation and even more cool when you combine it with your other bag-o-tricks, and your not falling every 5 seconds! Here is one unedited series I managed, even with the beach going onlooker’s making me a bit self conscious........I didn’t even have to speed up the video for time between transitions  :).

Jibe to toe / tack toe to heel/ 360/ tack heel to toe/ tack toe to heel/ 360/ jibe to toe/ foot switch/ foot switch/jibe to heel

https://youtu.be/I8BmIcHJLaE
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 12:52:22 AM by obxDave »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal