Author Topic: Carving 360's  (Read 10774 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Carving 360's
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 11:58:20 PM »
F-yeah!! Claim it!!

That's awesome!

Thanks for the stoke but you are killing me at the same time. Water here is still 40° and my dealer can't get the S25 from Naish yet because of supply chain issues surrounding Covid. Argghh!!

Yeah, soundside water temp here is in the 58-63 deg range. ~52 deg was my wimpy lower winter tolerance limit with a hooded/bootied 4/3.  Oceanside still too cold. It’s all pretty gusty frontal stuff but winging seems to deal with it well. Still only few short sessions with my 5.3 S25.  Ordered a pair of Duotone Echo’s and also doing the wait thing.....

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 06:42:01 AM »
Looking good Dave, I thought you were trying to go for the push down wind ride. The 360, you're doing is a little easier. You have the wing pointed down which is great for dumping the wind off but I noticed you're not looking out in front of the wing. Look past the wing in the direction you're going and you'll start to shoot out of the turn with speed. The gong video https://youtu.be/Cupp2PfNpEk and http://korvenn-wing-and-foil.com/index.php/2020/01/02/le-360-en-wing-surf/?fbclid=IwAR0gJbZBPEQbwNC3ptC1jQUUoVbPI0nzeBK9TVYoUmAgbaDY0TGZcuDaW_w are the two videos that taught me. I figured out the look past the wing (not down) on my own. The pointing the wing down also helps to stall it in the wind window so when you go for a longer down wind push, key is to not dump it all off or you'll come right around into the 360. But remember to dump it off when you're ready to come into the 360. If you're coming off foil, just pump the board. 2-3 pumps and you'll stay on foil.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 12:58:23 AM »
That second day out I was a bit underpowered on the 4m, so when I tried to sail backwinded I just wasn’t efficient enough with the wing to stay up on foil. Still trying to feel out that ideal wing position while on the backside.  After a few falls I figured I’d just try carrying as much speed as I could into a continuous (don’t stop halfway) 360 attempt, and it seemed to have worked. Guess I’ll need to be a bit more powered to sustain any backwinded riding, at least for now.

I do tend to look down a lot, especially when learning something new. It’s a weird thing. It’s like I’m trying to go by feel and not focus on one thing (like looking ahead), since I have no muscle memory for the transition. I’ll probably think about looking past the wing next time out,.....and fall a bunch over thinking it! Good point though :).

I’m also still a lousy pumper, not coming from a SUP/surf foil background. But pumping during transitions, and just pumping in general is a big goal for me this year. Last session was just too light for my winging gear, so I kite foiled instead. My so-so kitefoiling 360’s feel completely different from the wing version. Lots to work on....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 01:11:49 AM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 06:49:36 PM »
That is some impressive foiling. Really like the sort of duck jibe 360 but maybe the most amazing move is at about 4:45 by that kite foiler. Just one hand on the board :o

Does anyone else think that's being played at 1.1 or 1.2x speed? Those guys are amazing but some of it just looks... unnatural.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 10:12:09 PM »
Mike's Lab foils are fast. Heineken is also a bad ass foil racer so probly going at actual speed. Super cool to see the guys throwing down together and so close to each other. I'm sure if wing races catches on, Mike's Lab stuff will be on the top of the podium.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 12:19:49 AM »
Does anyone else think that's being played at 1.1 or 1.2x speed? Those guys are amazing but some of it just looks... unnatural.

Yes! Looked a bit that way to me too, but still very impressive.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
That is some impressive foiling. Really like the sort of duck jibe 360 but maybe the most amazing move is at about 4:45 by that kite foiler. Just one hand on the board :o

Look at the water.  All the white caps, or lack of white caps, are moving at the apparent correct speed.

This is all filmed in Rio Vista California just past Antioch.  I haven't journeyed there in ~ 15 years but given my new purchase of a wing that may change.  Back to the Future.  That place with consistent wind at 6 am would be a foilers dream.  It can get nearly as windy as the Gorge but probably has way, way more light days than I ever appreciated. 

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 10:01:39 AM »

Look at the water.  All the white caps, or lack of white caps, are moving at the apparent correct speed.

Could be it's my life moving at .9x by comparison ;D

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 12:42:09 AM »
Very first full on-the-foil 360 completed yesterday with some actual exit speed  :). Sorry no camera at the time. Modestly Powered with a 5m Echo, Moses 1100/450/72cm mast and 5’1”/90l  FSM board.

I still finish off the foil and crash a lot doing this trick, but getting first clean one was worthy of the happy scream of joy (far from anyone to see or hear). And now that I’ve publicly divulged this info, I probably won’t make another clean one  for some time to come :P

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:44:08 AM by obxDave »

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 06:45:47 AM »
Very first full on-the-foil 360 completed yesterday with some actual exit speed  :). Sorry no camera at the time. Modestly Powered with a 5m Echo, Moses 1100/450/72cm mast and 5’1”/90l  FSM board.

I still finish off the foil and crash a lot doing this trick, but getting first clean one was worthy of the happy scream of joy (far from anyone to see or hear).

I heard and saw it (coming toward you from outside Big Penguin Island).  Good scream, great 360 exit!!

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 02:15:54 PM »

I still finish off the foil and crash a lot doing this trick, but getting first clean one was worthy of the happy scream of joy (far from anyone to see or hear).

I heard and saw it (coming toward you from outside Big Penguin Island).  Good scream, great 360 exit!!

I stand corrected!  (I’m in my own little world out there.....) When your Axis 1150 arrives we should do a side by side swap comparison with the Moses W1100 and the Gong Veloce XL

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 06:41:13 PM »
When your Axis 1150 arrives we should do a side by side swap comparison with the Moses W1100 and the Gong Veloce XL

Looking forward to the report on that comparison :)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 08:00:43 PM »
Finally starting to make more of my 360’s  up on the foil. :) This is with the new Echo’s and the Moses  W1100. Also getting more used to making the 1100 turn a wee bit more aggressively than when I first started riding it.  That is one wide foil.... .  I’ll have to try them on my Gong XL pro

https://youtu.be/UXbdZcT_DrI

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 09:22:56 PM »
Dude, well done! I really want to see one of these from a drone angle. Need to do some YouTube searching.

And yes, you guys update the Gong thread when you get those high aspect wings.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal