Author Topic: Carving 360's  (Read 10792 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Carving 360's
« on: April 20, 2020, 02:51:55 AM »
This guy has a great 360 that he holds and accelerates backwinded.  Pretty different than a lot of the vids where the guys are going leading edge down when they are backwinded.  He is basically just oversheeting and doing it old school windsurf style.  Also, super smooth foot switch leading into that first tack. 

https://www.facebook.com/bob.smith.50309/videos/10219712565456968/UzpfSTEwMjQxMDA4ODU6Vks6Mjg1MjA2OTkzNDg3NjQyOQ/?multi_permalinks=2852003818216374&notif_id=1587305285464250&notif_t=group_highlights
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:55:58 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Carving 360's
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 05:09:40 AM »
Most all of these higher level wing foilers are riding “backwinded” (back half of a 360)  for extended time periods. Several have been doing it since early last fall.  It was always a standard practice in the windsurf world. I suspect we’ll see some new variations to pull out of a backwinded position other than just the standard “tacking” out to complete a 360.

I’m trying to learn to ride backwinded before really trying to complete a 360. At least for my learning  process i put the leading edge about half way down, but those high dihedral Duotones just behave a bit different than the flatter wings I guess. FWIW wiping out while backwinded is interesting; I’ve fallen into the wing a few times and smacked hard falling backward (one good thing about still being in a 3/2 suit right now :P). Definitely a move I prefer not to practice while highly powered up. Actually practicing with my short 65cm mast in pretty flat water is generally how I learn stuff given my spazzyness

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 05:15:07 AM »
Sweet video.  I like how he can turn on the speed pretty quickly.

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 08:40:13 AM »
"This guy has a great 360 ..."   apparently that guy is Johnny Heineken, past world kite course race champ and wicked kite foiler,  so his foiling and foot skills come pretty easily to him when winging as you can see!
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
Ahh!  That fits :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
"This guy has a great 360 ..."   apparently that guy is Johnny Heineken, past world kite course race champ and wicked kite foiler,  so his foiling and foot skills come pretty easily to him when winging as you can see!

Fucking cheater. Bringing skill to a new sport.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »
Sometimes these threads confuse me (sort of like the water start thread). Is anyone on the forum actually trying to learn this move? I know FLKiter is doing some 360’s

So today was really strong, 20ish to low 30’s. Challenging with the short mast, 4m wing, and a sore shoulder, but I picked the lulls to make a few wimpy attempts just to sail backwinded (first half of the 360). Stayed up for a few seconds on one, and then didn’t know what to do next  :o.  The closest thing I’ve  done remotely related to this is sail backwinded on a big ole standard windsurf board. Part of the old freestyle routine we would do back in the earlier days (late 70’s/early 80’s) of windsurfing

https://youtu.be/CzhV7yMdouQ

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 05:06:39 PM »
Dave, if you were to just jibe normally and ride toeside on that tack, would your front foot stay out on the left rail, or would you do a couple of toe scrunches towards the center? I see your back foot's opposing it but just curious if you usually make adjustments.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 08:04:16 PM »
Hey Dave, you're almost there. Just head more down wind and let the wind catch up to you. This will let you get more in front of the wing (it'll start to push you forward instead of against you). Don't worry about looking at the wing, just look down wind and you can pump a little to speed up if the wing is pushing too much. Soon you'll feel the sweet spot. Then just point up wind and you'll come out of it quickly, or pump a little to speed up and get the wind out of the wing to come out of it slower. Also keep the wing held further behind you. More down wind you run, less push from the wing. Hope this helps.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 02:16:17 AM »
Dave, if you were to just jibe normally and ride toeside on that tack, would your front foot stay out on the left rail, or would you do a couple of toe scrunches towards the center? I see your back foot's opposing it but just curious if you usually make adjustments.

Nope, no foot adjustment closer to center for me on normal jibes or tacks,...or 360 attempts. Sometimes a small quick adjustment after a foot switch just to tweak the position (see vid).

FWIW, I’ve been riding my big clunky 1900 sq cm Gong XL pro in these higher winds. Liking it more with the mast mounted closer to the rear track position compared to how I used to ride it (closer to center). Back foot closer to the kick pad bump.  Just feel like I have better control if/when I bump off the chop with the 5’1” board, and easier to keep from breaching. With that big ole foil I can slow way the heck down during upwind tacks and still stay up on foil :),.......
though it would be fun to try out a high aspect ultra glidey foil....

https://youtu.be/h57vHgAPCV8
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:59:10 AM by obxDave »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 02:37:28 AM »
Hey Dave, you're almost there. Just head more down wind and let the wind catch up to you. This will let you get more in front of the wing (it'll start to push you forward instead of against you). Don't worry about looking at the wing, just look down wind and you can pump a little to speed up if the wing is pushing too much. Soon you'll feel the sweet spot. Then just point up wind and you'll come out of it quickly, or pump a little to speed up and get the wind out of the wing to come out of it slower. Also keep the wing held further behind you. More down wind you run, less push from the wing. Hope this helps.

I think I get what you’re saying. Maybe the difference here is trying to ride in a stable backwinded position versus trying to get turned back upwind quickly to complete the 360. For some reason my brain wants me to settle in and ride backwinded for a bit before I turn back upwind (old windsurfing muscle memory). I’m not even going into the turn with that much speed. Anyway, thanks for the tip.  I will definitely work on both approaches. Looking forward to working on this without the winds howling over 30 and using a longer mast in some deeper water!

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 05:57:29 AM »
Hey Dave, are you on a fast or slow foil? A fast foil will be easier in the stronger winds. It'll let you race down wind in the push position. Strong winds are harder to learn this trick for sure and the short mast doesn't help. I found that what helped me was I would ride in the same area and pick an away point, then when I came into the turn, I would try to focus on the down wind point. Eventually everything started to feel slower and easier.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 10:50:07 AM »
Hey Dave, are you on a fast or slow foil? A fast foil will be easier in the stronger winds. It'll let you race down wind in the push position. Strong winds are harder to learn this trick for sure and the short mast doesn't help. I found that what helped me was I would ride in the same area and pick an away point, then when I came into the turn, I would try to focus on the down wind point. Eventually everything started to feel slower and easier.

If I had to guess I’d say it’s plenty faster than a 1020 but definitely slower than a Gl180. I was purposely going into the turns slower than I could have since it was blowing hard. No doubt I’d much rather practice this in 15-22 mph with an 80cm mast, but then again the tough conditions are always great training for the ideal conditions.  For the few seconds I was riding backwinded it actually felt surprisingly close to being on the downwind side of my big ole windsurf board doing that old freestyle stuff from my kiddy days,......well, except for the issue of balancing up on a foil and not on a 190 liter board! ::)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 04:15:39 PM »
Finally made a couple of them today in some lighter wind. Can’t quite finish them completely up on the foil but hey, still a happy camper  :).   The boom angle doesn’t do it justice, but I definitely would have completely  blown them with the drone buzzing me.........Anyway, thanks for the tips FLKiter!

https://youtu.be/nOyhOmPF-5Q
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:54:07 PM by obxDave »

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »
F-yeah!! Claim it!!

That's awesome!

Thanks for the stoke but you are killing me at the same time. Water here is still 40° and my dealer can't get the S25 from Naish yet because of supply chain issues surrounding Covid. Argghh!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal