Author Topic: Sunova Torpedo 14x25.5  (Read 2333 times)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Sunova Torpedo 14x25.5
« on: April 19, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »
Tried and true :-)
Today, I had a nice surprise, Norman John Hann let me have his Sunova Torpedo just for me 🙏for a bit of a trial run.
I went for my usual reverse Coffee Run, with the hopes that the inflow would picked-up for the end of the run.

1) Launched out of Britannia with some "glass" and it gave me a few km to get a feel. The board is really fast considering it is more dedicated to bumps. the nose goes nicely and the stiffness is likely helping with speed. With a pintail not much issue with release :-) At first there was a bit of a twitch until the legs get dialed and found the spot where the hard rail should just seat and then it is just plain sailing.

2) That was good preparation for a bit of light side chop, side wind quartering getting against the river flow and with the wind starting to build up on my left side. No problem there but will have to really see with some hard steep chop. With the hard rails on most of the board, that might prove teh Achille's Heel and then again maybe not.

3) Then I got into the perfect angle to catch a light downwind to the Blind Channel and the marina. First time on the board, pintail, 25.5 wide, sand bars, I was expecting to test the cold water of the harbor. I was really surprised at the stability and predictability of the board. It is simply what I call a well balanced design. I felt way more stable than the 25.5 Allround and I enjoyed this board without any comparison. It is easier to get on the tail than I would have expected (I was there quite a few times) and once there following the bumps for linking feels natural with no stability issues at all. Now I did not tried to get fancy or anything and no extreme cutting across steep bumps. Just enjoying the ride. I had zero problem with stalling and the board gets back into gear and speed with a few strokes. All I can say is that I was in a happy place even if it was my first time on that board.

4) Now, would I buy one. First I would need to know how the board in 25.5 is going on the nastier stuff quartering some messy steep chops. If positive. then most certainly if/when a used one become available (Norman John Hann, hint, hint 😉). My first thinking was that I would go only for a 27" wide. But now I am starting to thing actually that I would go for the 25.5. Why. For the speed and fun factor in light and marginal conditions. I think that speed is an important factor in the enjoyment and dynamic of this board and I was really impressed with the stability and soundness of the 25.5.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:14:25 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunova Torpedo 14x25.5
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 08:37:27 PM »
Nice score Luc. Good times!

How would you describe the difference with the 2 boards that serves you right now? Enough to justify buying that is.
Do you see any contribution to progression? You had narrower boards before so I assume it's not a factor, right?

Hope you get to log some more time on it. It sure is a nice looking board.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 09:04:42 PM »
I had only one run so everything to take with a grain of salt.
I find it a lot easier to get going on the bumps with light wind around the 15 knots mark and a lot less tendency to stall. I also find it very stable as I think that the pintail is not really pushed around and it maintains the board 'flat' ot a combination of the hard rails and pintail working together.
If money was no object, I would get one for most days and something like your Driftwood for feisty days. I would be in the mood for an update. These would be in addition to my Allround for winter touring.
The 2014 Javelin LE is light and can catch small bumps easier than the Maliko in some cases but the Torpedo is somewhat easier to handle. ANd teh Javelin feels like walking on eggshells...
The narrowest board I had was 24" but I do not think it is dworth the effort :-)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 09:27:52 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 08:05:05 AM »
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:17:12 AM »
Enough to justify buying that is.
Do you see any contribution to progression?

Just to be clear, I am NOT talking about a second coming or a new revelation with a blinding light. Just I think a refinement or a small improvement, possibly only on the pleasure of use rather than on pure performance (who cares for non elite racers). There might be a penalty to pay on other aspects or set of conditions of course that could balance or nullify. I was lucky to have three different type of conditions during that sole paddle but that is also fairly common where we paddle.
That said if I had to buy a new board "from scratch" notwithstanding the price or availability, today I woudl choose the 25.5 Torpedo over the 2018/2019 Maliko. If it was to be my only board - as horrible and improbable as this might sounds for us, an anathema - I would have to try the 27" wide against teh 25.5" wide.

Hope you get to log some more time on it. .

I wish.....but I strongly doubt I will have that luck. There are more friends already lined-up and it is also difficult to have schedules that coincide. It was a lucky break :-)
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »
Just to be clear, I am NOT talking about a second coming or a new revelation with a blinding light. Just I think a refinement or a small improvement, possibly only on the pleasure of use rather than on pure performance (who cares for non elite racers). There might be a penalty to pay on other aspects or set of conditions of course that could balance or nullify.

No worries, it didn't come across as over the top. At least not to me. It just sounded like she's a fun paddle. That said I think it's unfortunate the price tag is as high as you posted (4500CAD)?
This board should be a lot more accessible since I think it might have boarder appeal than the rest of their race line, maybe a notch higher than their expedition model if I'm to look for a close
sibling. It's most likely related to more expensive construction but other manufactures managed to solve that issue on their race lines.

Moot point for me anyway, I don't think I'll have access to one anyway nor would I buy one. Once I realized I'll never be the one board quiver kind of a guy I'll be going for more specialized shapes.
The Driftwood is just the first one.

I would have to try the 27" wide against teh 25.5" wide.

I remember few cases where board first appeal did NOT cross over to other widths. After experiencing first hand how easy it is to scale up/down a model by just punching-in few numbers and let the program translate the shape I could pretty much guess that was the culprit in those cases. I hope this one is not one of those cases. Please post when you do hop on one.
in progress...

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 12:43:46 PM »
Luc, how does it compare (on water) to a V2 Bullet? The shape (outline) is very reminiscent. The hard rails, quite different.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 01:03:49 PM »
No worries, it didn't come across as over the top. At least not to me. It just sounded like she's a fun paddle.

Good. That is exactly what strike me. First time on the board and I am having FUN. Small adjustments came fairly fast so I could just concetrate of enjoying the ride. So that is a good sign.
I had similar experience with teh Bark Vapor and teh Naish Maliko.

That said I think it's unfortunate the price tag is as high as you posted (4500CAD)?
This board should be a lot more accessible since I think it might have boarder appeal than the rest of their race line, maybe a notch higher than their expedition model if I'm to look for a close
sibling. It's most likely related to more expensive construction but other manufactures managed to solve that issue on their race lines. 

In fairness, it includes 12% local taxes.....and it reflects the pricing structure of Sunova in Australia.
I am not sure why the Expedition is AUD2,550 and the "race" boards are AUD 3,680. Both 14, both wide, same wood and both excellent boards in their own rights.
Frankly, I am curious how boards can sell for more than the CAD $2,500~2,600 price range. Definitly not on my budget. And Starboard is several hundred higher.

I remember few cases where board first appeal did NOT cross over to other widths. After experiencing first hand how easy it is to scale up/down a model by just punching-in few numbers and let the program translate the shape I could pretty much guess that was the culprit in those cases. I hope this one is not one of those cases. Please post when you do hop on one.

I agree and it is the same for me with my Sunova Allround. I could not like the 14x25.5 at all but I really enjoy the 14x27.
In my limited understanding of shapes, I believe that in that case, it is becaus teh nose of the 25.5 become narrower closer to the standing area and because the shape is too high above water for the corresponding width. I am curious to see if maintaining parallel rails further to teh front and shaving a bit of height woudl bring the feel of teh board to teh same than the 27" wide with some allowance for the narrower dimension of course.
I have a gut feeling that for what I want, teh Torpedo would be more fun in 25.5 than in 27 but I can be totally wrong based on how the shape was adjusted between the two sizes.
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »
Luc, how does it compare (on water) to a V2 Bullet? The shape (outline) is very reminiscent. The hard rails, quite different.

Sorry, I am the wrong person to ask. I barely set foot on a V2.
I never really took to it but I woudl say that the two boards are fairly different.
The width migt also be a factor with teh shape of the nose.
I thing that the nose of the Torpedo is a lot more forgiving with the back of the bump in teh front :-) and there is no such slow-down than on a V2.
Blackfish Paddles

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal