Author Topic: Florida still says; Who, us?!  (Read 2527 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Florida still says; Who, us?!
« on: April 18, 2020, 09:06:26 AM »
Lunch check of a few cams on Saturday, 18 April.  There has not been ANYBODY on the Tamarindo cam for weeks?! Wasn't the quote; "Charlie doesn't surf."  (Carlos, neither I guess.). Even Pedasi in Panama is pretty much void of humanity - none getting wet.

Not Florida.  It looks like locals are filling in for the lack of NYers and Euros.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Florida still says; Who, us?!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »
if you zoom in you can see that most are wearing Fox news t-shirts and MAGA hats

Hail SUPn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 08:12:00 PM »
It looks like people following proper social distancing measures and getting some fresh air. If you can walk down the side walk, why can’t you walk on the beach?  If you can ride your bicycle in the 2ft wide bike lane next to vehicles doing 60mph with drivers scrolling through their Instagram, Facebook, and text messages, why can’t you ride your bike on the beach? 

If it’s used responsibly I don’t see the harm.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:31:56 AM »
Florida's case per million and death per million is relatively low considering...

Nice beach with, social distance, some UV rays, (that's said to kill the virus pretty fast), some vitamin D for the body, and a little exercise. Looks good to me.

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Topwater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 06:04:39 AM »
Florida's case per million and death per million is relatively low considering...

Nice beach with, social distance, some UV rays, (that's said to kill the virus pretty fast), some vitamin D for the body, and a little exercise. Looks good to me.

Yep, I agree that many people look at pictures and don't take the time to look closer to see if there is social distancing.  The picture from Cocoa Beach looks far better than the picture from JAX Beach.

I hope people will be responsible in the upcoming months when it comes to going back to beaches, lakes, parks... but I fear it is the minority dipshits that will ruin it for the rest of us who desperately need to get back in the water (or trail run in my case too) for the much needed mental benefits exercise gives us. 

I hope the rules about no beach chairs and exercise only can work as they seem like the only way to keep social distancing intact, but with summer fast approaching and so many beaches being close to large population centers I fear surfing will be over until the fall season in the SE.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »
If it stayed like the picture there wouldn't be a problem. One major issue I see is that distancing will likely be released piecemeal, and that means opening one site will cause crowding. I see the problem here already, any location that enables water access--even informally--attracts a crowd of locals beyond what there would be with even with tourists if all sites were open and the crowd spread out. I don't know of a solution other than opening everything and restricting access to locals--which seems unlikely to be enforceable. I know that's common on the east coast where beach access is often locals-only. But it's rare on the west coast.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 02:50:49 PM »
Our beaches never closed. It became locals only, by simply banning all beach parking.

Florida’s data
https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:55:00 PM by Dwight (DW) »

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 07:52:54 AM »
DW,

I don't know what the deal is in Cocoa Beach but I live in Miami Beach and we've had a forced closure in the entire county for a while now. No one, absolutely no one, allowed on the sand or the water for any purpose. I love directly on the water and have been staring at it, and the cops, for weeks now.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 08:28:54 AM »
SUPjorge,

Brevard and volusia counties have let people use the beaches for "exercise".   Also Hawaii is doing the same from what I have read.  But the beach parking for the beaches is closed.  So you have to ride a bike or walk or whatever to get there.

It seems like the mayor of Miami is about keeping people miserable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal