Author Topic: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?  (Read 8510 times)

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2024, 08:49:33 AM »
I always put together these to-scale nerdy images when I'm looking at boards. After more thought, the B-Line is more similar in outline and rocker to my Kronos than the Blurr, so it might make sense to try out a Blurr for some differentiation. Hopefully I can get a demo on one.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Today at 10:21:26 AM »
About 20 sessions on my BlurrV2 now.

Granted, I'm no expert SUSer and this is only my second board but this board rocks!

Relative to my Wedge, stability is still a bit of an issue - I fall a few times a session even in clean conditions especially towards the end of a session.  There are some waves I miss or can't aggressively paddle out to because I'm slightly off-balance.  That being said, I've been out still catching waves after 2.5 hours so it's not awful.

However, once on a wave, the Blurr is leaps and bounds better than the Wedge as should be expected.  On steep drops with the Wedge, the toes on my back foot were practically dragging in the water to get the rail to bite.  I had a hard time getting the confidence to feel the rail was set on fast(er) bottom turns.  On the Blurr, I don't have an exaggerated foot placement and my feet reman on the stepped portion of the deck.  Bottom turns are much easier to initiate and, as I mentioned in my earlier post, for some reason it is much easier to get my back foot on the tailpad with out feeling like I'm going to wheelie so that helps.  Everything about the Blurr is just that much more reactive/quicker.

One concern about the Blurr related to the stability - while I usually prone paddle when paddling out, I do knee paddle when it's really consistent on the inside.  I haven't been able to figure out the balance while knee paddling the Blurr.  Once in awhile, everything will line up and I'll glide up and over a wave like butter.  Most of the times, stuff I'd easily make over on the Wedge will knock me off Blurr.  So far, I've been lucky on these consistent days and able to catch enough of a lull to prone paddle like a shark is chasing me and make it out but I know that day is coming.

It is hard to tell from pictures but I do wonder if a Smik Spitfire might be a good option for a next board?  The nose seems to be a little less pulled in than the Blurr so maybe offering a bit more stability.  The rest of the outline seems very similar.  This could just be illusory since the Blurr is usually shown with black rails which slims the outline up a bit.

I also wonder why Infinity makes an 8'2" x 30 @ 115L - would I notice a big difference stepping down from the 8'5" x 30.5" @ 121L?  Doesn't seem like 6L and 0.5" in width would make a big difference?

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:37:51 PM »
Both on and off topic -

Here's a link (below) to another board you might consider.

I was just in Blue Planet's shop, and Rob's new line of boards should not fly under the radar.   

Production is now at the Kinetic factory (with Infinty and Jimmy Lewis), and very rare to find a production surf shape that is managed and improved over time by the a guy who actually surfs them (and his team).

I have no relationship with BP, but have always admired what he does. 

The board in your ballpark, SurfKiteSup:

https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/86-x-29-x-41-x-115l-hookipa-carbon.html

... with some videos.

I'm going to test drive the 9'1 version.  The 8'6 is out of my league.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:58:09 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Today at 02:40:38 PM »
Thanks DP - that's good to know they rent for future trips to HI!

Honestly, I'd probably try the 9'1" version too.  Or even the 8'8" All Good.  I've never gotten super-smooth conditions in HI when I've been so the extra stability would be good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal