Author Topic: On the plus side...  (Read 2024 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
On the plus side...
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:05:18 AM »
I'm getting a lot done on my various projects. I finished the deflector for the solar panels on Fritz, my 78 GMC moho today. The only piece of the same gauge aluminum I had was short one corner. I decided a few rivets never hurt anything so I made a Frankenstein version.

I suspect some day I might rip this entire rack off, ditch the roof AC and roof vents and do a version that's just off the roof, but for now, it's good.

It seems like everything I touch is another project, I went to fire up my Norton to go for a celebratory ride, and the carbs started spraying gas. I pulled the carbs down and all the rubber in them has perished to one degree or another. Ordered rebuild kits.

I finished the outdoor shower based on a Wardog SUP board I'm going to install at the house. I wanted to build a nice looking outdoor shower with a SUP theme, and this is the nicest looking board I own other than my woodie Javelin--and the wall hangers in Maui. So I sacrificed it to domestic tranquility and a hot shower after the cold Columbia. It's going to look great, I'm installing it tomorrow.

I also stared a while at my race car and my Vincent and decided I need to stay quarantined for about a year to get some of these projects done.

Oh yeah, and the old hollow SIC F16 I traded to Joel Yang for a one-wheel skateboard has a little water leak. The little bastard never leaked a drop in all the years I rode it, but now it's dribbling. I thought I'd found the only one with my ultrasonic sniffer, but there's another one someplace. Oh well, more projects tomorrow.

Looks like images on the zone is still busted.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:11:06 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: On the plus side...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 04:55:14 AM »
What's the story on the SUP turned shower ?  It looks good.  JP

WaveWashed Hatteras

• Waikiki Status
  • Perspective, use it or lose it
    • View Profile
    • My Wife's Gallery- Ocean / Beach Art
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 07:03:46 AM »
Viewing the outdoor shower creation has been chuckling thinking about the reply that will never happen due to wardoggies retirement.  Imagine a followup thread filled with the claim that wardog was actually the first one to build an outdoor shower out his gear, then flood the post with photos of his SUP boards as shower backstops,  used his big wave leashes as clotheslines, had sidebite waveweed fins mounted horizontally as soap shelves, etc.   
Sunova Speeed 9'5"
Sunova Kanga 10'
Exocet 12'6" Downwind
C4 XXL iSup (pinhole leak at seam)
Black Project Pure Paddle
Flying Fish Carbon Paddle

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:34:07 AM »
I take it you can see the images, I wonder why I can't.

Ah, I can see them using chrome as a browser, but not firefox.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:35:50 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 10:40:47 AM »
Here's a possible mod for your Art Deco MoHo... It's the way my mind works..  or something like that?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »
Yeah, I need to replace the grill, it's busted up. I hadn't thought of that but I like the idea. The dashboard is going to be insane. I've got some black anodized aluminum that my laser cutter etches perfectly and some nice thin maple ply that the laser cuts precisely. It will be a combination of Art Deco patterns, maple escutions around the gauges, old school switches from an old Jaguar S-type, tiny LED idiot lights, touch screens, and some metalwork. Steampunk meets Art Deco meets bleeding-edge control systems.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 01:37:08 PM »
I pictured a metal mesh or perforated sheet behind it. It'd be cool to retain the GMC ornament. 

https://www.mcnichols.com/designer-metals/designer-mesh

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
Metal mesh is surprisingly resistant to airflow. I planned on making a grill with formed aluminum fins but doing something that completents the chapeau is a great idea.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 10:04:07 PM »
Wave washed I laughed out loud. He could take over a thread for sure.

Pono, I’m using my time well as well. Shaping my third board of the “break” and about to start glassing. Lots of sanding in my future unless I get the bag rig dialed.

The shower is great and a SUP works better than a regular board now that I see one. The size gives a real backsplash.

Love the metal work. I still need to learn to weld.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 05:45:28 AM »
PB, that shower is awesome!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »
Bill, do you keep the shower mounted when you surf that board, also, what's the mechanism under the board the feeds water into the shower pipes. Lastly, which types of waves do you like activate the shower and how it affects performance ??? ;D 8)
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 10:33:00 PM »
I installed the outdoor shower today, I still need to finish up the shower curtain ring and decide how I'm going to pivot it out of the way when it's not being used. I need to shine up all the copper and perhaps space the top of the board away from the wall, but it's up, it works, and I got all the leaks to stop. It was kind of a bitch getting it installed since the tubing on the board is metric (a little smaller in diameter than 1/2" US copper tubing) so I had to make adapters. It probably would have been easier to just make all the plumbing, but the kit was cheaper than the parts would have been.

Our dog Zack took one look at the shower and hauled ass for the furthest corner of the back yard. He can see that this thing spells B.A.T.H. Not a stupid dog.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:35:01 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal