Author Topic: Answer to Cold Weather Paddling  (Read 2427 times)

supthecreek

Answer to Cold Weather Paddling
« on: November 30, 2019, 07:31:21 AM »
Re-post of a thread I did a few years ago to answer another thread.... but it's lengthy, so I dedicated this thread to Winter Paddling Gear

My plan:
Open more people's minds to incredible joy of cold weather paddling.
Some of us do it.... but too many hang up the gear for winter.... thinking it's not worth the effort.

Part 1
my video sales pitch.
This vid from the day before Thanksgiving 2019
Probably 35 degrees… so warm by winter standards.
I’ll make a new cold water vid, showing the beauty of sub freezing wonderland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zOES32hNJY&t=86s

Part 2
My gear is chosen for cold water safety….. Some of it from teachable moments 
It keeps me warm and happy
Lot's of gear options out there.... these are just what I found very effective.
I never race around... I cruise and explore.... and I'm always sweaty when I get home.

My pictures show and explain all my gear...

but I want to discuss the biggest challenge: hands and feet
it took several seasons to work this out.

I paddle in Blizzards and temps in the teens all the time.... been down to -8 F  (-22c)
with this gear, I am completely comfortable

IMO.... wetsuit boots and gloves do not work for me. 
In Surf, wetsuit gear is fine…. Paddling extreme cold is a different animal.

Feet:
Paddling my feet simply freeze in standard wetsuit boots!
I need separation between the Ice and my feet... rubber alone won't do it.
I buy tall Explorer Boots. 2 or 3 sizes too big, so they are loose and have room for 2 layers of thick, insulated wool socks.
The tall boots allow me to walk in to launch depth, without getting my socks wet.
The thick, dry socks give me a warm barrier between my feet and the elements

Hands:
In ALL wetsuit gloves, mitts.... my hands froze on cold days (fine in surf... bad in paddling)
Simple.... a cheap pair of ski gloves are perfect.
Never had cold hands in ski gloves
BUT... I always carry a pair of wetsuit gloves on the deck, in case I fall in. (which I have)
Wet ski gloves, in single digit temps, are a dangerous combo.

In winter
There are:
no boats, no bugs, no leaf blowers, no outside noise at all
just the incredible sounds of winter creatures.... totally different than warm weather. softer, relaxing. stunning

————————————

I have fallen in a few times over the years...like the time I was taking pictures of Mr Big in a snowstorm....
The golf vest is light weight & waterproof --- it doesn't absorb water as you can see from the 1st picture (after the fall)
My neck warmer isn't a factor and has never seemed to absorb water either.

That day that I learned that water soaked gloves are very dangerous.... I was only 500 yards from the car and my hands froze almost immediately.
Since that day, I have never gone out without a pair of wetsuit gloves on the deck, as "get home safe" gear.... they are fine for backup.... just not warm enough for main stage.

I have been surfing super cold water all my life, (many times the water temps will go below 28 F (-2 c) degrees)  so the cold water is normal to me.
Wetsuits work, so my 3/2 is fine if I get wet, since I am in the water all winter anyway.
Honestly, without the turmoil of the ocean waves.... almost no water gets in to anything when I fall in flat-water.

Pics of gear in action:

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Answer to Cold Weather Paddling
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 07:34:04 AM »
Sunova Creek#2
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 08:41:56 AM »
Your a legend creek. I am going to have to change my question to Mild weather paddling. That's not what I meant by cold.
 I can just see the new "Winter Search" the ice breaker bow isn't for everybody but comes in handy for those cold days( cold by Creeks standard).

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:54:43 AM »
Old thread I know, but I want to thank the Creek for posting.  The boots have been serving me well.  I also like the RipCurl gloves that you recommended in a different thread.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34269.msg389517.html#msg389517
In California it doesn't get that cold, but for pre-Dawn sessions, my hands and feet would get cold.
With the current Pandemic, I still go to the office 3 days a week as an essential worker.  All of the coastal beaches and parks have been closed for a couple of weeks.  The only safe way to get on the water is on the bay, pre-Dawn before the walkers, bikers, etc show up.
The days I am at home, I find solitude in the back yard fixing boards and kites.
Thanks and I hope you are all safe. Try to get at least 9 h of sleep for a healthy immune system.  If you must get on the road, please drive safely.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:20:24 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal