Author Topic: Easter Wingfoil Session - Video  (Read 3145 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Easter Wingfoil Session - Video
« on: April 12, 2020, 09:58:50 PM »
I had a really fun Easter session today on Lake Washington near Seattle. The wind was cranking (for our area) and yet the 6M Swing handled it really well. I'm not sure what the top-end of this wing is, but it's over 25mph. I now have 6 sessions under my belt with my new DW board (5'1 x 26" at 90liters). It's definitely tricky to remount on after crashing, but when up on the foil it's a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTS-tBArA_o

My favorite thing to do on the wingfoil currently is the toeside carving jibe...going straight toeside then letting go of the bottom hand and turning down wind, just gliding on the windswell, then carving out to heelside. So fun!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:00:32 PM by Rastaman3030 »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Wingfoil Session - Video
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:44:46 PM »
Nice! What’s your front foil wing mast setup? Quite a wind range on that F-1; in 25 mph winds my 4m Duotone is fully powered. Knee starting should get easier for you over time, certainly did for me. Not like I’ve ridden numerous boards but DW’s 5’1” 90 L just feels like the perfect balance between easy-knee-start and light-swing-weight.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:26:55 AM »
Thanks Dave, I'm riding a Gong XXL Pro. Despite it being 120cm wide, it's relatively high aspect so it's pretty fast for it's size. I'm interested in upgrading to an Armstrong 2400 at some point in the future, but I'm still having a lot of fun on the Gong.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »
Thanks Dave, I'm riding a Gong XXL Pro. Despite it being 120cm wide, it's relatively high aspect so it's pretty fast for it's size. I'm interested in upgrading to an Armstrong 2400 at some point in the future, but I'm still having a lot of fun on the Gong.

Definitely looks pretty fast in the video for such a large wing. Those Gong pro foils are impressive (and under rated)

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 05:29:50 PM »
Looking good :)
It does seem like the drop from the XXL pro (2800ish) to the XL pro (2000ish) is a big one. Maybe not though in the larger sizes(?)
The big one does appear to move along just fine, but do you really need it. Maybe just upgrade to the 100cm carbon mast (saw that breach  ;)), it's really a work of art, right in there with Moses for build quality.

In what way would the Armstrong be an upgrade besides build? I'd want to do some lengthy demos before making that jump. Both of the above may be obsolete next year anyway...

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 06:57:21 PM »
Nice video!

I was thinking the same thing about the Armstrong upgrade. Would that carbon one piece mast help? Seems like the XXL is higher aspect than the Armstrong 2400 as well.

Just curious what’s your thinking on gong vs Armstrong etc.

Keep rocking the lake, something we Bainbridge islanders were always jealous of was fresh water. ;)

D

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 09:38:00 PM »
Looking good :)
It does seem like the drop from the XXL pro (2800ish) to the XL pro (2000ish) is a big one. Maybe not though in the larger sizes(?)
The big one does appear to move along just fine, but do you really need it. Maybe just upgrade to the 100cm carbon mast (saw that breach  ;)), it's really a work of art, right in there with Moses for build quality.

In what way would the Armstrong be an upgrade besides build? I'd want to do some lengthy demos before making that jump. Both of the above may be obsolete next year anyway...

I feel the gap between the XXL Pro & XL Pro is too large, roughly 900cm difference. The XXL Pro is 2609cm projected (2829 developed) and the XL Pro is 1733cm projected (1912 developed). I feel like they need one smack dab between those two and it would be a perfect go-to wing for all the conditions that I ride in (10 - 25mph).

How do other manufacturers rate their foil wing sizes, in projected or developed? For instance, is Armstrong's 2400 foil referencing projected size or developed size?

The reason why I was looking to upgrade is portability (fit everything in one bag), build quality, lightness, and I imagined that the Armstrong would just ride better than the cheap Gong, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. The Gong is the only foil I've ridden so I haven nothing to compare it too. The fact that OBXDave still rides his Gong when he has the much more expensive Moses foils must be a sign that Gong aren't that bad after all.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 03:26:16 AM »
Man, everybody is putting out awesome winging videos. Thanks for providing the stoke! I'm dying to try it, but don't have wings yet and the water is still under 40° here on Lake Champlain.

Those glides down the swell and tiny little pumps are very cool.

Curious what the wind is in the video? You mention 25 but there seems to be minimal white caps. Maybe the camera does not portray the conditions well? Would like to know your weight and what size stabilizer you are using with the XXL. Also what you are wearing for protective gear?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:44:23 AM by SUPladomi »

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 07:25:37 AM »
I'm hoping the XL pro will be big enough for my 87Kg (more like 90 of late with all this sitting around :-[), in fact hoping to use the Large most of the time but our wind conditions will allow for this. Decided against the XXL for packability reasons and just assumed it would be a slow turning wing but your video proves otherwise, I'm impressed.

Now I've only ridden four brands in various price ranges, all have a slightly different feel but certainly nothing there to justify the significant cost differences between them. In fact the Gong stuff has been the most "fun" feeling of all of them so far, even with the aluminum parts. With the carbon mast and pro "clear" wings out now I even get my "quality" fix. Sad it's not as easy to obtain even in the best of times and impossible right now in the US. Still I will likely order a 4M Pulse and one of their boards shortly, I'll get the stuff eventually.

What I really don't understand is how you can have two different brands, both made in China, and one is 3x the cost of the other. It makes sense that companies that manufacture in 1st world countries like Moses and Armstrong are going to be more expensive and maybe have slightly closer manufacturing tolerances (the latter is debatable).

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 04:42:57 PM »
Man, everybody is putting out awesome winging videos. Thanks for providing the stoke! I'm dying to try it, but don't have wings yet and the water is still under 40° here on Lake Champlain.

Those glides down the swell and tiny little pumps are very cool.

Curious what the wind is in the video? You mention 25 but there seems to be minimal white caps. Maybe the camera does not portray the conditions well? Would like to know your weight and what size stabilizer you are using with the XXL. Also what you are wearing for protective gear?

Thanks, glad you liked the video! The nearby wind meter was reporting about 18mph sustained, lulls to 15 with gusts to 25mph while I was out riding. I'm 165lbs, the rear stabilizer is the standard Gong 400cm (45cm wide). I'm wearing an impact vest (wakeboard vest) and a full face mountain bike helmet that I got off Amazon. It should help protect my teeth and nose more than a standard helmet. I've had the board come down foil first on my head twice during wild wipeouts on really windy days. Without a helmet on during those 2 times I wouldn't be typing this right now.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 04:45:14 PM »
I'm hoping the XL pro will be big enough for my 87Kg (more like 90 of late with all this sitting around :-[), in fact hoping to use the Large most of the time but our wind conditions will allow for this. Decided against the XXL for packability reasons and just assumed it would be a slow turning wing but your video proves otherwise, I'm impressed.

Now I've only ridden four brands in various price ranges, all have a slightly different feel but certainly nothing there to justify the significant cost differences between them. In fact the Gong stuff has been the most "fun" feeling of all of them so far, even with the aluminum parts. With the carbon mast and pro "clear" wings out now I even get my "quality" fix. Sad it's not as easy to obtain even in the best of times and impossible right now in the US. Still I will likely order a 4M Pulse and one of their boards shortly, I'll get the stuff eventually.

What I really don't understand is how you can have two different brands, both made in China, and one is 3x the cost of the other. It makes sense that companies that manufacture in 1st world countries like Moses and Armstrong are going to be more expensive and maybe have slightly closer manufacturing tolerances (the latter is debatable).

Thanks for your feedback on the Gong foils vs. the other foils that you've ridden. That makes me take a step back from my urgency to "upgrade" my foil kit. I'll be curious to hear how you like your XL Pro and if it provides enough lift for light wind riding.

surfwingsteve

• Waikiki Status
  • Just get me to the sea
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 11:44:27 AM »
love it.  Looking really good.  So is lake Washington open to us wingfoilers?  I see the NW kiteboarders badmouthing other kiters out and about because of injury risk and hospital resource utilization.  Despite being a huge supporter of isolating, I'm not convinced foiling out in open water is a huge risk involving injuries requiring hospitalization.  Certainly no more than a bike wipeout.  Would love to meet up with you out there if we get some wind this weekend.....not looking great so far.  I've been heading out into Henderson Bay but in borderline 8-10kt winds that are SUPER challenging for my skill level to get up onto the foil.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 04:45:47 PM »
love it.  Looking really good.  So is lake Washington open to us wingfoilers?  I see the NW kiteboarders badmouthing other kiters out and about because of injury risk and hospital resource utilization.  Despite being a huge supporter of isolating, I'm not convinced foiling out in open water is a huge risk involving injuries requiring hospitalization.  Certainly no more than a bike wipeout.  Would love to meet up with you out there if we get some wind this weekend.....not looking great so far.  I've been heading out into Henderson Bay but in borderline 8-10kt winds that are SUPER challenging for my skill level to get up onto the foil.

Yep, the lake is open for paddle sports and wind sports. It's a good example of social distancing, get exercise with nobody around. I did see one other wingfoiler on the lake that day for the first time, on the new Naish S25.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal