Author Topic: Heelside to toeside tacks  (Read 1459 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Heelside to toeside tacks
« on: April 11, 2020, 05:17:48 AM »
Was inspired by FLkiter and the transition video Admin posted to up my game; so finally completing a few of these heel to toeside tacks, as ugly as they may look. Figured it’s the next easiest on the transition progression scale. Thought I’d share the bad and the so-so.

Blowing a gusty 18-32 mph at my close-to-home shallow water site so just boom video here, no droning and no 360 attempts in this stuff. Dealing with a 65cm mast in 1 ft of chop while overpowered in the gusts with a 4m Duotone and 1900 sq cm foil was an interesting experience, but still lots of fun.  Kitefoiling with my smallest kite on a day like this would have been no fun at all.

One  thing I noticed is my initial forward hand (not the release hand) gets put in a pretty stressed position when I roll the wing over during this tack, probably because I’m not regrabbing with the release hand fast enough (?). Something to sort out with more practice and falling,.....after I rest  my shoulder :P

https://youtu.be/OJ31boe-uR4

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:25:40 AM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Heelside to toeside tacks
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 05:55:00 AM »
Looks good

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 06:33:01 AM »
Yeeeoooo!! Ha ha!

Awesome job in 18-32! Keep em coming!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 07:39:58 AM »
Very cool. It might be the camera angle, but your shoulder irritation might be from keeping your arms so bent. If I did that I'd be spending a restless night. I can see that having the wing closer to you makes the transitions easier, but I let the wing pull my arms straight. If I forget to do that--which happens when I get nervous on a wave--I pay a price.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
Looking good Dave. From what I could tell in the video is that as you got more comfortable, you weren't sending the wing overhead to the other side super fast which gives you more lift time in the turn. A more fluid motion throughout. I sometimes turn my front hand over before the turn bit that's with handles, might be harder or easier with the boom. Great to see your progression.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 10:42:27 AM »
Looking good Dave. From what I could tell in the video is that as you got more comfortable, you weren't sending the wing overhead to the other side super fast which gives you more lift time in the turn. A more fluid motion throughout. I sometimes turn my front hand over before the turn bit that's with handles, might be harder or easier with the boom. Great to see your progression.

Here’s a frame grab with that odd (stressful on the shoulder) arm position in one of my better tacks. Maybe mid way through (?). It’s like the wind is pushing my grip hand back towards my head and I’m not pushing back as hard as I should. Maybe the reason I tend to fall backward a lot when it doesn’t work

And yes every time I get over aggressive trying to do anything too fast (wing or kite) I generally wipe out right on cue. Generally happens when I think too much about what I’m gonna do, a common trait amongst us ole guys..... :)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:45:39 AM by obxDave »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal