Author Topic: Looking for recommended equivalent board to Tawalhi XL 10'6"  (Read 1009 times)

TCL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Looking for recommended equivalent board to Tawalhi XL 10'6"
« on: April 08, 2020, 08:57:11 AM »
Hello,

I'm new to SUPs. I'm a liveaboard cruiser on my sailboat in the US (Gulf of Mexico), and I'm interested in getting a SUP to use for exercise, exploring anchorages, light-duty substitute for a dinghy for trips ashore, etc.

An Australian couple whose judgement I trust have a Tawalhi 10'6" board that they like. They said it is definitely a middle-of-the-road board, but that it has performed and held up well. I don't know anything about this board or company other than their recommendation. I've looked for those online, but don't see any sold outside of Australia.

If anyone is familiar with those boards and their reputation, I'm looking for suggestions for an equivalent or substantially similar board available to buy in the US.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Looking for recommended equivalent board to Tawalhi XL 10'6"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 06:25:07 AM »
TCL.  Under the rule 'Anything is better than what you have now.'  I'd suggest you cruise the area's Craigslist to see if there's a half-decent used board available.  10-6 is a good, medium-long length, and if wide enough (~32-34") could even ferry some staples to the boat.

If budget is not an issue look for strong, light brands like Jimmy Lewis, Sunova, BluePlanet or Starboard. (there are more)  I would avoid brands with deceptive appearing names or have not seen frequently mention here over the years, as most likely they were originally sourced without their sellers traveling to China to witness their production. 

Get a really good paddle. Your feet just stand there; your hands/arms do all the work.   Paddle on...it's fun.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal