Author Topic: NEW BOARD! 8'2 Genration Wedge  (Read 7478 times)

supthecreek

Re: NEW BOARD! 8'2 Genration Wedge
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 03:43:36 AM »
Great talking to you again Mike!

ha ha.... I have to lose a few lbs, so I can try your 8'2.
I have surfed a 120 liter board, so the volume is theoretically doable for me  ;D ;D

Flat-water is a more reasonable place for me to try it.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 06:28:52 AM »
you as well Rick! and thanks again for all the help.  Hopefully we can get out together at the cape this summer, or on one of your travels down the coast....when we are allowed to do that again!

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 07:22:55 AM »
Whats the word on the board? Any pix? Seems like NJ has had some good waves lately.

I can't afford it right now, but I can dream...
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »
Hey Supsean

Loving the board.  I want to do a full review so I wont get into too much detail... and i generally dont do video- but brought the go pro out for one session on it.  WIll try to do a few more so I can put up something respectable (hard to post good content when you have a guy like SupTheCreek on the site  8))

Ive been proning alot lately so also it hasnt seen as much use the past run of swells and I had some demo surfboards I knew i needed to use before I gave back.

short story is that these boards are obviosuly the next phase of sup-veloution.  Alot of thought was put into what works and is needed on a surf sup, not just expanding surfboard dims.  I jumped out the gate VERY hot on it- I have found a few small things I dont like- but the least amount for usre on any board I have every owned.

Fits what i bought it for perfectly.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 03:18:25 PM »
Awesome - stoked you picked up one of the GenRation boards! 

I've been looking at one myself for a while as my wife is attempting to commandeer my 8'4" 110Ltr Sunova Flow.  What made you go with the Wedge vs either of the SP boards?  I was thinking of picking up a 7'11" 105Ltr SP25 as I think that would work well in East Coat Long Island beach break. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

supthecreek

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »
Mike, I am toked you are happy with your small Wedge, and really look forward to your review!

I surfed my 9'5 today, but I continue to struggle on it.
I find it too corky, for even my bulkiness.

Fun to surf, but I really should trade down for a smaller one...
I'd be tempted to go 8'11, but that may be a different kind of challenge.
I hold to my feeling that the Wedge is for people with serious balance/paddle skillz.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 06:13:58 PM »
Awesome - stoked you picked up one of the GenRation boards! 

I've been looking at one myself for a while as my wife is attempting to commandeer my 8'4" 110Ltr Sunova Flow.  What made you go with the Wedge vs either of the SP boards?  I was thinking of picking up a 7'11" 105Ltr SP25 as I think that would work well in East Coat Long Island beach break.

Ive got an affliction most sup surfers have.....its called 'mass'.  :)

I'm 210-220 depending on the meal, but have progressed pretty far on my past boards.  Ive noticed that a sub 29 width REALLY opens things up for pocket surfing waist to chest waves.

My goal with the Wedge was go cram as much volume into the narrowest package I could to have a true shortboard I could stand on at my weight.

The wedges are on average about an inch narrower than the SP's (inc the 25) If I wouldnt sink anything smaller I may have gone with an SP.  My weight may change but the waves i ride dont.  and i simply cant fit a 30+ in wide board into hollow NJ beachbreak no matter how much I weigh.  So the board had to change not me or the waves.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »
Mike, I am toked you are happy with your small Wedge, and really look forward to your review!

I hold to my feeling that the Wedge is for people with serious balance/paddle skillz.

I'd agree Creek.  Its a weird balance of corky, unstable with a bit of 'know you foot position immediately' when standing.   BUT its not a sinker.   I decided a few years back SUP isnt worth doing if you cant thand on your board not in surf stance.  The wedge nails this- and is still crazy stable for the width.

if I'm on the 8'2 ...you (in your perpetual trunks) could handle the 8'11.  remembeer ....sitting between sets isnt a terrible thing  8)

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 07:22:23 AM »
The wedges are on average about an inch narrower than the SP's (inc the 25) If I wouldnt sink anything smaller I may have gone with an SP.  My weight may change but the waves i ride dont.  and i simply cant fit a 30+ in wide board into hollow NJ beachbreak no matter how much I weigh.  So the board had to change not me or the waves.

That's an interesting point around the width - my Flow is just under 30" wide but a narrower board would definitely help in some steeper days here in LI. I'm just above 190lbs at 6'3" so I'm hoping that the 105ltr 7'11" SP25 fits the bill and is stable enough.  Btw - how long did it take to get the board after you ordered it? 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

supthecreek

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 06:55:44 PM »
That's an interesting point around the width - my Flow is just under 30" wide but a narrower board would definitely help in some steeper days here in LI. I'm just above 190lbs at 6'3" so I'm hoping that the 105ltr 7'11" SP25 fits the bill and is stable enough.  Btw - how long did it take to get the board after you ordered it?

Hi Dale,
No need for you to go that small, but I don't want to derail Mike's Wedge thread, so if you don't mind, please click my email link below and send me your email, so I can give you some info on the SP 25 and how it is nothing like the Flow.
The pic below of me at 225 lbs on my 8'11 SP 25, easy to see the difference to the Flow.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »

Hey Pabst- (And no worries rick on the slight de-rail  8) )

Board came in 7 weeks which was well under their 8 week estimated build time and week to 2 week ship time.  I also belive it would have gotten here faster outside of COVID. (I did call the rep to tell him a needed it for a trip- which got Covid-ancelled- so that may or may not have sped it up)

the fact that they are all built as one offs and there is no 'stock' just means its so much easier to tweak a custom, and more reason to go custom.

After a few chats with people familar with the boards- one of their stock dims nailed it for me and my use case (lighter wetsuit and/or trunks and good to very good wave quality).  But if I was to get another I would go with a custom size- especially on the SPs as they seem to dimension out closer to boards already on the market vs the Wedge which really doesnt have any one packing that much volume in a shape and width like that. Maybe a very modded up B line or Portal.

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 05:36:00 PM »
Creek, it's interesting you said this.  I'm 43, a really big dude (think NFL tight end) with pretty good balance and I have the 9'6 Wedge and when I got it out a couple of times before the lockdown, I struggled the whole time!  Granted, the conditions were less than ideal, but I hate being the kook who can't stand on his board!  And weighing quite a bit more than you, and wearing a 4/3 suit, the 9'6 Wedge still felt corky, even compared to my custom 10x33" Kronos with the exact same volume.  It is super fast and maneuverable though, at least for the 2 rides in 2 hours that I got. 

I also have the first round model of the 25 (it's a 9'4x33.  They slightly changed dims shortly after I got it) and I still need a couple of days of glassy conditions to figure it out.  My one day out with it in NorCal bad chop was not fun.  Probably should have gone bigger, but I wanted a board I could take on flights. 

I really want a 9'9 Kanga, but I think my other half will kill me if I buy another board!  And not to steal the thread, but any chance you've ridden both the 25 and Kanga and can give a comparison?     

Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Fanatic Allwave 9'10 x 33
Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

supthecreek

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 10:07:06 PM »

I really want a 9'9 Kanga, but I think my other half will kill me if I buy another board!  And not to steal the thread, but any chance you've ridden both the 25 and Kanga and can give a comparison?     

Yes bigmak, I have:
8'11 SP 25
9'5 Wedge (gonna trade down)
9'6 Kanga
Love, love , love the SP 25 and the Kanga!
Wedge, I need smaller, so I can give a solid opinion about it  (it was the board I was most excited to get!)
Kanga is eazy breeze to paddle and surf.... wide and fairly high volume, but much thinner than the Wedge, so it sits down in the water like my other Sunova's.
I am in the process of making some videos of all the boards.

My SP 25 is a full on short board ripper
I got my Kanga bigger, for full winter wetsuit gear  and as a "getting older" investment  ;D

My Kanga in a cutback

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal