Author Topic: Finally fired up the auto-follow drone for winging  (Read 3568 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Finally fired up the auto-follow drone for winging
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:26 AM »
Thanks for all the info!

Doesn't the S25 have some sort of loop to connect a paddle? Is the purpose of that to offer the option of a boom?

I did see a vid of one of the Naish Australia guys using a connected paddle as a boom, but like I said my goal is to get better at handles, won’t happen in one session for this spaz

Looking good Dave!

OT but if you get a minute... Is that the 55 stab? And do you use the Large pro as well sometimes? Would you say that was absolute minimum wind for that setup?

Thanks!

So I’m using the 45cm Gong stabilizer with the XL pro. It’s the only Gong front wing I own. The XXL pro seems too huge for our typical winds , and the L pro a bit small.  Attached a picture of all my wings below. I kite foil so I though I would be switching from Gong to the Moses 1100 and 790 for winging (the Moses 633 is my only kitefoiling wing). I’ve winged with the 790 and 1100. The 1100 is a really cool light wind pumping type wing that’s not quite as radical as the GoFoil GL’s. Even with these other techy lightweight foils, I still use the heavy Gong XL pro The most. It’s just so easy to progress with for now.

You’re exactly right, an ND filter will get you better looking video and then a little color correct when you want it to look like “the pros”. But your shots are awesome man.

It’s really cool to watch you, Cook, and Clay work on these various camera technologies. Thank you guys for experimenting

Just ordered a ND32 filter for the GoPro off Amazon.  I wouldn’t quite say “work”, just part with some $, (sorta) read the instructions, make some dry land runs, then hope it survives the water sessions......FWIW, Staaker was a small group of Norwegian guys. They sold out last year, but the buyer is not providing any active support as far as I know. Only other decent beacon-following drone I know of is the Skydio2. Pretty backlogged on orders. (I always thought GoPro blew it when they developed that ridiculous “Karma” drone to compete with DJI. All they needed to do was create another Staaker drone (or buy Staaker out) and they would have done great.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:55:59 AM by obxDave »

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Dave!
Yup, the 1100 looks like a great compromise. I have an XL pro that hasn't been wet yet, who knows when. I have many hours now on the L pro / 40 stab kiting and absolutely love it, hope to use it for winging as well eventually. Just bought the M pro as well but also hasn't been wet. I whacked into a chunk of lava this winter at speed on the Large, expected to see the boxes half out of the board but just surprisingly little damage to the LE. Not even worth filling.

Was also interested in the XXL pro initially for downwind paddling (but I'm 87Kg) have since decided the pain / fun ratio for the sport doesn't add up for me, for paddling I'll stick with my F-16. That said, winging downwinders will be my main focus, the ability to go back and do a section again seals the deal. Our usual run is only an hour anyway on a fast SUP, don't want to shorten that even further with foils and doing two runs is too much trouble. 1.5 - 2 hours would be just right.

Meanwhile back at the topic...

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 04:08:52 PM »
Hey
I also have a Duotone and I’m wondering how it will be switching to handles... how is your feeling about that?
It really isn’t that hard. Just takes a bit of time to get it dialed to the point of knowing exactly what handles your grabbing for without taking a quick peak, and which handles are the best for different angles, conditions, etc. With a boom I always went completely by feel. Jibing’s a no brainer with handles but tacking does take a bit of mental readjustment.  There are also some differences that have nothing to do with handles, just differences in wing handling. The S25 is really “rigid” and you feel it in pumping. My Duotone would roll  easily from side to side during a tack, the Naish needs a little push to roll as quickly, but that just might be my inadequate skill level.  I’m happy to keep plugging away at it, even though I’m not giving up my boom wings. There are riders out there 20 x better than me who can dance around on a board with either handles or a boom,...or glorified bed sheets or that matter!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 04:11:47 PM by obxDave »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 07:22:47 PM »
I find the same thing with the F1 vs. Duotone. I dislike the instability of the Duotone in every case except transitions, where the Duotone does exactly what you want it to do all by itself, and other wings don't--they have to be pushed. The Duotone turns on autopilot. the only problem is that autopilot is still engaged when you want it to behave--like when you are in a wave and just want it to hang out behind you. It won't do that--starts to do the antler dance with variations.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 09:40:07 PM »
Hey, you guys with Gong foils, if you would, flesh out my Gong thread. I’m curious about these Pros and it’d be cool to have a few different wing reviews in that one thread ala The Axis thread.

And you are spot on about GoPro. Building in house cost them way too much time and they got skunked. Now they are stinging from the loss but if they pick up Staaker they could be back in the game overnight.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal