Author Topic: Finally fired up the auto-follow drone for winging  (Read 3569 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Finally fired up the auto-follow drone for winging
« on: April 05, 2020, 02:00:30 AM »
Grocery stores and liquor stores seemed to be packed but my closer-to-home practice site is still wiiiide open.  Finally workin on heel-to-toeside tacks and 360’s (not even close, but fun tryin), slowly gettin used to handles on a 5.3 S25, ........and tryin out my auto-follow drone. Keeps the mind off the craziness. This spot is shallow so limited to my 65 cm mast, but it’s also nice and flat. The drone video is rough, the rider is lame, but hey, I’ll take it for a first try. Happy to be rid booties, gloves and hood!

https://youtu.be/1QG0eU4hT74

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Finally fired up the auto-follow drone for winging
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 02:17:30 AM »
That looks great!  The drone did a really nice job of following you and it makes for 100% more engaging footage.  How long did it follow you?  Did you launch and land the drone while you were in the water?

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 02:40:23 AM »
So cool video
Thank you!!

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 03:31:23 AM »
That is friggin sweet and is totally amping my stoke to get a wing. Transitions looking real good. Show us your 360 attempts!

It doesn't look that windy. What were the conditions and what size wing and foil? Sick board too by the way. Would like to get me one of those.

Thanks for sharing!

P. S. your thoughts so far on the S25? That's what I'm considering due to all the love Dwight has given it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 04:03:59 AM by SUPladomi »

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 04:41:42 AM »
Very cool

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 05:50:55 AM »
I was out with OBXDave while this video was being made.  Wind was averaging mid-high teens but VERY up and down. This was a day that definitely showed the value of talent and experience --  we were on identical boards, very similarly sized foils, and OBXDave was on a 4 meter Duotone and I was on a 4.2 Swing.  He was going the graceful transitions on the video, and I (about six sessions into learning) spent 80% of the session trying to pump onto the foil and falling in a lot. 

The video is really cool, but it was a little un-nerving to be out in the sound with the drone buzzing loudly around.  But the result is way cool!

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 08:06:05 AM »
That looks great!  The drone did a really nice job of following you and it makes for 100% more engaging footage.  How long did it follow you?  Did you launch and land the drone while you were in the water?

It ran about 18 min from startup to landing in these winds, with the first couple of minutes used up getting to the launch spot and the last minute returning to home. Thats not a lot of time when you think about it! (Hence the pressure to not fall......)  I launched before I dragged the gear into the water, but I suppose I could test launching out in the water if within good WiFi range. Return-to-home automatically kicks in at 40 battery life and you can override it (turn it off) but you can’t reset it to something like 25%.

The waterproof arm mount beacon is just WiFi linked to the drone and they maintain relative position based relative GPS positions. Relative height is maintained by barometric pressure gauges in both the drone and beacon, but in “water mode” you fix the drone height since you’re basically just at one elevation.

The Staaker is very basic compared to my old Mavic pro, but it is a beast (and loud! it was like I was being chased by a chain saw at full throttle even with the wind noise :o). Top speed is 50 mph and I’ve seen vid’s of this thing in some hefty wind. However, wind eats up battery life pretty quickly for any drone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:46:50 AM by obxDave »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 08:39:56 AM »
That is friggin sweet and is totally amping my stoke to get a wing. Transitions looking real good. Show us your 360 attempts!

It doesn't look that windy. What were the conditions and what size wing and foil? Sick board too by the way. Would like to get me one of those.

Thanks for sharing!

P. S. your thoughts so far on the S25? That's what I'm considering due to all the love Dwight has given it.

Like my buddy AGK said, wind in the mid high teens with some definite lulls (shallow flat water always does a good job of masking wind strengthj. I was on Dwight’s 5’1” 90L wing board (l love this board), a 4m Duotone, and a Gong XL pro wing. I’m ~168 #

My 360 attempts are more hilarious than my heel-to-toeside tack attempts. I’m too spastic for the do-it-all-in-one-shot attempts so really just trying to get to stable backwinded riding first. Actually got a few seconds staying upright backwinded on one attempt. I’d probably run out a full drone battery on just a few attempts...probably just start with a boom mount camera.

For me the S25 is a lot about getting used to handles (Duotone booms are all I’ve ridden). That being said I agree with Dwight; the 5.3 cranks upwind far better than my Duotone’s and it has a huge wind range. I switched from a fully powered 4m Duotone to the 5.3 and had no issue holding it down without arm fatigue. One difference I did find,.....that Duotone “V” shape (dihedral?) loves to pop over side-to-side during a tack (probably the same reason it goes crazy when being luffed). With the Naish I had to use my free release hand to help push the wing around as I go through the tack. Maybe I’m just using the wrong technique for the Naish. Anyway, don’t go on a one-session opinion. I’m definitely keeping it, since I’m determined to get better at handles, but I’m definitely not giving up boom wings either. Still love the feel/control of a boom for my current riding style

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:43:11 AM by obxDave »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »
I was out with OBXDave while this video was being made.  Wind was averaging mid-high teens but VERY up and down. This was a day that definitely showed the value of talent and experience --  we were on identical boards, very similarly sized foils, and OBXDave was on a 4 meter Duotone and I was on a 4.2 Swing.  He was going the graceful transitions on the video, and I (about six sessions into learning) spent 80% of the session trying to pump onto the foil and falling in a lot. 

The video is really cool, but it was a little un-nerving to be out in the sound with the drone buzzing loudly around.  But the result is way cool!

Andy, we’ll have to do a “pass the drone beacon around” after this Corona mess is over!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 08:53:46 AM »
This is seriously a game changer. And as the battery life improves, a given, this will make getting good video so much easier.

Also, this is a great way to see how winging really works. Thanks for the view.

You’re exactly right, an ND filter will get you better looking video and then a little color correct when you want it to look like “the pros”. But your shots are awesome man.

It’s really cool to watch you, Cook, and Clay work on these various camera technologies. Thank you guys for experimenting.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 09:15:57 AM »
Looking good Dave!

OT but if you get a minute... Is that the 55 stab? And do you use the Large pro as well sometimes? Would you say that was absolute minimum wind for that setup?

Thanks!

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 09:22:48 AM »
Thanks for all the info!

I’m definitely keeping it, since I’m determined to get better at handles, but I’m definitely not giving up boom wings either. Still love the feel/control of a boom for my current riding style

Doesn't the S25 have some sort of loop to connect a paddle? Is the purpose of that to offer the option of a boom?

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 10:10:13 AM »
Hey
I also have a Duotone and I’m wondering how it will be switching to handles... how is your feeling about that?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 11:14:30 AM »
Doesn't the S25 have some sort of loop to connect a paddle? Is the purpose of that to offer the option of a boom?

Yes, but it’s based on the idea of paddling home if the wind dies. The Naish importer in Australia seems to tie the paddle on for GoPro mounting.

You would not want to buy a Naish with the idea of strapping a paddle on it, because you don’t like handles. Buy a Duotone.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 11:21:11 AM »
Dave, you are far too modest, that was excellent.  Good for you.   

Too bad Creek didn't have one of those drones a couple of years ago, Sunova would have moved their factory to Cape Cod and Ricky would have been able to see those submarines-with-big-teeth a lot better.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal