Author Topic: First Point Malibu GUY  (Read 4290 times)

Shawn

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
First Point Malibu GUY
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »
WTF.     

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: First Point Malibu GUY
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 12:47:00 PM »
This...

https://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/450860/malibu-authorities-arrest-stand-up-paddler-at-empty-first-point

One SUP'er +three foot patrol + one cruiser + several pursuit boats = MUST WATCH VIDEO
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:00:28 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »
How much would you pay for an hour at first point Malibu all to yourself? Everything is a risk/reward in this life.

Compared to KS wave pool, probably a pretty good deal if he pleads his fine down.

Make paddleboarding great again!

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 02:18:17 PM »
Would it be illegal to access waves by watercraft? The signs say "Beach Closed" - not ocean.
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 03:01:03 PM »
I heard it was Robert Downey Jr.    ;D

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 04:05:23 PM »
Probably an Infinity team rider....

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 04:44:10 PM »
Guy looks like a pretty good paddler, decent stroke, good maneuverability.  But pretty sporty to play cat & mouse with LA law enforcement.

Super big shoutout to the helmsman of the lifeguard boat, awesome boat handling skills.  The LA County Lifeguards are rockstars by the way (both on the boats and in the towers).  From my years living in the area I've seen them swoop in many times to help distressed swimmers off the beach. Very impressive to watch the lifeguard swimmers from the towers work in concert with the boats to pretty quickly get people out of trouble. World Class life savers.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 05:34:20 PM »
The water is closed technically 1,000 yards from the beach. Illegal to cross the sand. Maybe an open ocean paddle from a harbor. Or just go to OC or ventura. Surfer got a ticket at el porto on Sat last week. $1,000. told the lifeguards and cops to eff themselves. It sucks. But it is what it is. Just drive. You can paddle.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 07:33:39 PM »
Somebody told me this happened in SC, so I was concerned and looked it up.  Shoot the comments on the inertia Instagram are brutal, total sup hate.  Up in norcal beach closures have been spreading as well as reports of $1500 tickets for being on a beach alone.

I had a relationship end a number of years ago.  She said towards the end she kept pushing the limits to see what she could get away with.   The lesson I learned is that someone will treat me poorly if I don't stand up for myself.

Seems to me that's what the authorities are doing now, my concern is they will keep pushing if we don't stand up for ourselves.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/04/03/is-this-really-about-the-virus-anymore-crazy-footage-of-paddle-boarder-arrested-for-violating-california-stay-at-home-order-by-being-alone-on-the-ocean-video/
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 08:14:12 PM »
Clay’s link  makes me see this in a new light... From “ha, that’s stupid” to “ha, that”s scary as hell”.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 08:17:33 PM by Dusk Patrol »

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 11:02:53 PM »
The water is closed technically 1,000 yards from the beach. Illegal to cross the sand. Maybe an open ocean paddle from a harbor.

Correction, LA county defines the beach to include 1,000 feet from shoreline. But nothing breaks out that far these days.

LAPD kicked me out of the water last Sunday. Only place to legally launch from is a private beach or slip in one of the harbors.

But what a waste of resource that was to send out two boats. The LG boat was aggressively close to the SUPer. If he would've gotten injured he could've sued. Might have made more sense to have sheriff track him on foot wherever he landed and make the arrest there. The SUPer must have been a real jerk to the LG to elicit sheriff boat response. Or they are all on a power trip.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 11:37:32 PM »
He’s a selfish asshole. End of discussion.

There’s a pandemic killing thousands of people a day and all we have to do to stop it is stay home. This guy is in LA with millions of other people. He had to drive to do this. And he exposed those law enforcement guys to potential harm if he’s sick and asymptomatic.

Go ahead and discuss if he’s within his rights, or if he can go on the beach on some technicality. Then consider the situation and explain to me how it’s ok.

I have a sick friend for every wave he caught.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 08:55:20 AM »
He wasn't the only one out surfing an empty lineup. Check out the Surfline rewind cam and you'll see several others out catching waves earlier. It's looks like they were called in from the beach by lifeguards but he certainly wasn't the only one.  He was the one they sent out a couple boats to capture. I wonder how many cyclists rode by the beach during this takedown...  I understand why they are closing beaches as first point gets incredibly crowded but if they're going to lockdown beaches and the ocean, they might as well lockdown sidewalks and parks from pedestrians roads from cyclists. In France you need a printed sheet outlining where and why you are out and about.   
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »
They are at least clearing the boardwalks too.

And I saw everyone on the cam. But of course the SUP had to be the jerk and cause a scene. smh

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 08:43:19 PM »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal