Author Topic: Foil time at Green Point.. vid.  (Read 5473 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foil time at Green Point.. vid.
« on: April 03, 2020, 04:08:05 AM »
It was a last minute decision to grab my GoPro today before heading off for my daily exercise time. (we are in lockdown)

It's a shame I didn't check if it was charged because I only got one run out and back before I heard that annoying beep-beep-beep sound as it shut off.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Foil time at Green Point.. vid.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 08:12:08 AM »
Right on, looks like fun!

I saw another post about you adding the bottom hande, please update how that works for you.  Seems like the a good solution for coming in through the shore break.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 09:31:32 AM »
Yes I wasn't sure what I was seeing so I played the scene back time and again and noticed you had a handle on the underside of the board next to the foil..genius idea.  No Naish boards come that way or did you add that DJ?

great video too
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 04:58:02 AM »
It was more foiling fun at Green Point today.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
So it looks like Green point is North of Sydney but your profile says you’re from Melbourne. Is that where you travel to wing?  Looks like a nice spot.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 04:42:09 AM »
Nice, DJ...  You seemed to have picked that up pretty quickly. GFU.  I kinda miss those early 'slidefest' days before your camera became a people magnet.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 05:50:14 AM »
So it looks like Green point is North of Sydney but your profile says you’re from Melbourne. Is that where you travel to wing?  Looks like a nice spot.

There may be a Green Point north of Sydney but my Green Point is just up the road from where I live in Melbourne.. (Brighton Beach)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 05:54:25 AM »
Yes I wasn't sure what I was seeing so I played the scene back time and again and noticed you had a handle on the underside of the board next to the foil..genius idea.  No Naish boards come that way or did you add that DJ?

great video too

Thanks .. I had my local ding repair guy mount the handle in the bottom of my board fo me after getting my wing caught up in my foil a few times entering and exiting the water.. It works really well.. 

I know the new Fanatic boards have a bottom handle.. and I've just heard that all the new Naish boards will come with bottom handles.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 06:03:49 AM »
Nice, DJ...  You seemed to have picked that up pretty quickly. GFU.  I kinda miss those early 'slidefest' days before your camera became a people magnet.

Jim

Thanks.. I'm loving the wing-foiling.. I was pretty frustrated at first thinking that I'm too old for these new tricks.. but after seeing Pono Bill doing it at his age I thought that I have no excuse and persevered with it.

I think getting the big 2450 Naish foil helped me heaps to learn quicker and now I'm using the new HA 1800 wing and I'm loving that.. Also the big 6m S25 Wing-Surfer wing has given me heaps more foiling time.

I've just made myself a new wing-tip camera mount that I'm looking forward to trying out.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »

There may be a Green Point north of Sydney but my Green Point is just up the road from where I live in Melbourne.. (Brighton Beach)

Ok, found it. Cool.  I remember watching a handful of kite foilers at Brighton Beach when we were last there. My older daughter has been in Australia for a year and half and worked at Kite Republic (St Kilda) for awhile as an instructor and kite school manager.  She’s closer to Perth at the moment under lockdown. My younger one and her Australian boyfriend are relocating back to his hometown of Melbourne this summer (from London). Anyway, assuming this mess clears up enough we are planning on making another serious trip that way come November. All the wing and kite foiling gear is absolutely coming with me, baggage fees be damned!!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »
Great.. Hopefully see you in November.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 02:08:12 AM »
I was back down at Green Point today testing my new home-made GoPro mount.

It looked like the wind was coming up with the odd little flicker of white caps but it soon dropped to around ten knots.

I did manage to get up going on my way back in so I was able to check out the camera angle.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 06:37:07 AM »
Great angle on the vid.  Would you mind posting a photo of your homemade mount?  Very curious.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 01:07:24 AM »
You can see my GoPro mount here.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 03:52:57 AM »
Wow, great camera angle. Looks like PVC pipe. You’re tempting me to buy a GoPro with that video.

Did the camera weight add much challenge?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:08:55 AM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal