Author Topic: Suggestions needed for a crossover SUP/Wing board...  (Read 1356 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Suggestions needed for a crossover SUP/Wing board...
« on: April 02, 2020, 11:40:06 AM »
Even tho' access may be closed for months... I just listened to Eric's Progression Podcast with John Amundson.  'That was an inspiring conversation'. The podcast was like listing to two NBA players talk 'balls and rims' but even sod-dribblers want to know how they do it.   https://soundcloud.com/progressionproject

I have been having a conversation with my local shaper of 35 yrs for about a month.  We both walk like injured Bull riders (I should be so brave..) and both SUP and Wing'ing are something we think we might be able to—try to—do at some level.  The question is the length & width of a board that will crossover.   He was thinking ~6-6 x 30 with plenty of meat. 

We are both about 80kg, he a local champ proner, me pretty much the opposite, but with a decade of kites. So, what size wud-you suggest?   Thanks.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Suggestions needed for a crossover SUP/Wing board...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 12:08:06 PM »
hey Wetstuff, I was in your shoes just 4 months ago wondering what size board, wing and foil to buy. A lot of help from fellow 'Zoners and many hours of watching YouTube helped me make my decision.

My 1st board was a well used Fanatic Sky Sup 6'6" x 30" and 115 liters  Maybe a tad small to learn on, but with years of surfing experience and windsurf and SUP experience, I wanted something that wouldn't be obsolete too quickly.  I also took my time learning, starting by towing on the foil board behind a jet ski and then using the wing on a regular SUP, before I ventured out with foil board and wing..glad I did because I felt much more comfortable knowing how each worked.
The Fanatic did not disappoint, and maybe a little tippy at first, but I quickly learned how to knee start and been having a blast ever since.  It is pretty stable, and forgiving when moving feet around on the deck. For someone your size maybe bump up to the next biggest Fanatic.  One thing I will say is my board is 2018 model and kind of fragile..learning with the Duotone wing, the boom hit the board more times than I can count and has dings to show it.  Using a boom-less wing would not have this  issue.
I have not used it in surf, but have paddled it quite a bit and feel confident it will perform in the waves as well.

I also have the Jimmy Lewis Flying V 6'11" x 29" and 129 liters and more stable. I bought this for the Caribbean where I Wing alone and swells and wind get big and it gets scary sometimes and wanted something more forgiving. The nose shape is different, more of a surf shape than the table top shape of the Fanatic.  It floats well, very stable and really nice board over all.  It's a bomber construction too.  It also comes in larger sizes and I have yet to meet anyone who owns this board who doesn't love it. 

One thing I have learned that although I really like both boards, it's all about the foil as the board is in the air 95% of the time when you learn to get up on the foil.  Doesn't mater how great the board is if you don't have the right foil I learned that the hard way with a foil too small for my weight 180 lbs
Just be sure the volume is enough to be stable as you are learning. You don't want to get discouraged falling in more than you have to.     have fun with the research

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
Width will be your friend. Length is your enemy.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 06:03:28 AM »
I feel you hit it, Carib.   Jimmy Lewis has a great reputation. It seems there is no moving water he does not have good products for.  I have ready access to a Whaler and my shaper and I will both be towed, so we're kinda-goona share this adventure.  The good news is: he's a 35yr shaper with a block of 1.5lb foam that looks like you could make a national monument out of.

Dwight,  I understand. I do. I remember big directionals for kites in the early 2000s. (tho' I had fun in the ocean with them..) But at this beginning stage, I (perhaps mistakenly) liken board length to a short mast and a long mast.  I have both. I plan on spending a buncha time with the short ones. 

Crossover for me means Ocean and Bayside which are almost a walk.  You are doing back-n-forths on protected water. I dearly hope to 'go over' on non-breaking/no-wind days and stroke my way into lumps. I don't care if I cannot do big bottom turns or off-the-lips ..I want to try that new glide. 

If'n I gets gud'nuf.. there's more foam back at his shop to make a shortie. (he also wants to wing...)   Thanks.

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 11:55:03 AM »
I had a highly respected member of this community privately contact me and very kindly suggest my hubris (my word, not his) would almost assuredly have me disappointed and very likely hurt.  He reminded me that my local shorepound is nothing like Hawaii or OZ's Gold Coast.  Any period wave over 10sec is often accompanied by crossed-up wind chop and any shorter period wave has 1 or 2 others from other directions. (true dawn patrollers get their pick locally)

I have frequently got caught at high tide where the water depth can be overhead 10 feet from the sand.  A board with a carbon mallet attached to a 28" aluminum straight-razor is likely to take revenge for me having purchased it.

I am pretty confident I can Wing.  I will report later.  (__, Thanks for not outing my ignorance.)

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal