Author Topic: Covid 19: Now what?  (Read 2377 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Covid 19: Now what?
« on: April 01, 2020, 04:40:50 PM »
You know its bad when an Arizona boy is complaining that he can't surf.  I almost drove out to SoCal on Friday, but after talking to some friends, I decided that was a bad idea.  So with everyone essentially locked down, how are you filling the time?  I got a new wing for wing foiling but I lack the essential ingredient of "wind."  Hopefully that will change this month as it warms up.  Other than that I've been mountain bike riding and skateboarding.  If you have any creative ideas, I'm all ears. 

Stay safe
Evan

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Covid 19: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 07:50:21 PM »
I often find myself holding unpopular beliefs.

The only thing I know for certain is that life is fatal, and we are all going to die.

For me it seems I can live in fear, or live in love.  I'm choosing love.

I just listened to this and feeling optimistic:
https://youtu.be/BaKirqZYfv4
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 11:21:15 PM »
Well I'll just come out and say it but that was 20 minutes of Deepak Chopra level woo-woo nonsense having nothing to do with the real and existential threat that we are all living under at the moment. I'm not living in fear either, but in reality...
The waves will always be there, and with a good dose of common sense and patience, we will all be there to paddle out again together when this mess is over. For me that means following the advice of the epidiomological experts. The latest CDC prediction is that 25% of coronavirus carriers are asymptomatic, if that's me I don't want to put anyone else at risk, and I don't want to be near anyone that might put me and my family in jeopardy. You're not stuck at home, you're safe at home. Anne Frank and her family hid out for two years, I think we can hang out for a fraction of that in our comfortable homes. I'm, helping my kids with their homework, completing some much needed ding repair and equipment maintenance that I have been putting off for too long, binge watching some shows during the day instead of falling asleep half way through one at 9:30, plowing through that shelf of books I've always been meaning to get to, learning a new lick on the guitar or another song on the piano other than Linus and Lucy that my family has heard 9,000 times, learning some new tricks on the jump rope, knocking out max push ups and max jump squats every hour on the hour, drinking too many beers with lunch and taking a nap in the backyard and missing my push up plan, cooking leisurely dinners with the family and getting a good night's sleep.
I was in a bit of denial when this kicked off, but by the end of this weekend we will be in the midst of a million cases world wide, and 50,000 deaths, and we're not nearly over the hump.
The waves are going to be there when this is over, be smart, be patient and make sure you will be there too.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 12:18:02 AM »
Thank you Dan. It is nice to hear reasonable voices on the Zone.

Back in my home town of NYC there is a war going on.  It may be far away for most, but where is the unity.
They may not be your neighbors but they are your countrymen.

And here on the Zone there is a new version of the flat earth society evolving. Humans can cover a wide spectrum, unbelievable.
I guess fear can manifest itself in unusual ways.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:24:17 AM by surfinJ »

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 03:18:40 AM »
In France we are in our 3rd week of lockdown. The area where I live is not bad, hospital around don't have many people sick so far but in others states it is pretty bad. Seems like things should start to slow down this week but still we don't when we will able to go back to normal life. The lockdown is at least until 15th of april.

The entire coastline is close, I live in a small quiet town so I can go run all by myself, I also try to stay fit doing some home training.

I've had many injuries which took me out long time (the worst was 6 months without surfing) the last few years so I already know the feeling of staying home, and everytime I went back in better shape !

Take care.

Imagine the joy of going back, it is gonna be so good !!

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »
Im also in NYC. I went out and surfed yesterday and while on a tiny wave,  the board jumped up with the wind, smacked me in the nose, and helped me to decide that I'm going to take a break until the hospitals settle down... I might have broke it, but I'm going to let it heal, as it doesn't impede my breathing...

Health care professionals certainly don't need to help a middle aged intermediate sup surfer in the ER.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 01:35:23 PM »
Right on Dan - good for you!

I went for a bike ride with the kids yesterday and realized that there is a pretty perfect dock sitting there waiting for me to work on dock starting/pumping.  So I think I'm going to see if I can get into that.  Just what I need, to start a new learning curve again and to go home frustrated and disappointed on the first outing -  I know I'll be back for more...

I could drive to go surfing, but I'm not doing that.  The urge is very strong, but I want to set the right example.  I know I can stay physically far enough away from everyone else so that's not a huge threat.  I know I can be careful and not touch anything other than my car, the ground, and the water.  But I'm also thinking about everything I breathe on between the car and the water.  I'm feeling perfectly healthy, but we all have to think of ourselves as carriers and take this seriously.  The further we travel, the wider the radius we spread ourselves over and this is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM